View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Heart say 427 Head says Coyote...need advice

I have been considering having a cobra built for the past several years. Time, money, other cars, family commitments always seemed to take precedent as they should.

Things are starting to line up to make this a reality rather than a fantasy.

I am not concerned with authenticity. I just want a fun, reliable cobra that sounds great and is still very streetable.

I am not a mechanic by any means. I am so impressed by the knowledge that many of you have.

So my head says get modern day reliable tech like a gen 3 coyote. I want power steering and power brakes. But I really want a more authentic sounding old school muscle car to have a completely different option in the garage. My Daily Driver is a 18 Jeep Rubicon and my weekend blaster is an Alpha 7 GTR. Both are great but neither says old school muscle.

My head says coyote but my heart still says a 351/427 with EFI. I am not all that concerned about big power. 500+.

Can someone build a highly reliable old school pushrod with EFI that has good driving manners?. Meaning it doesn’t overheat, starts easy, doesn’t buck like a bronco at low rpm and can allow for power steering/brakes combo? KEY question!!!

Or I am just better off going Coyote and living with the mustang soundtrack?

I lack the space, talent and time to be constantly wrenching. I do have a good performance shop that is in my city.

I want to get a new backdraft from Jay but I need to figure out this engine selection first.

One last question - I see most BDR owners go with the 18” wheels with the bigger brakes. I really want to stick to 15’s to keep the big tire look. Are the smaller brakes ok for a street car? I know tire selection sucks except the Avon’s but I am ok with the price of admission. If it is a mistake to go with 15’s please let me know that as well.

I admire those that need an ERA with an FE with a top loader. I wish I was John Wayne but that is more than I can handle.

Thank you for your opinions and advice.

MJJ