View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     
Default The Corvette used in Ford versus Ferrari movie...

...Sold yesterday on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19..._listing_ended

They painted the car Blue, with the Washburn racing livery for the early race scenes, depicting the time when Bob Bondurant would have been driving the 2nd #614 Washburn 63 Z06 Corvette, and then they re-painted the car and changed the wheels and sidepipes to depict the Roger Penske Corvette in its early #6 red livery (which is how the car was sold after filming wrapped)

During filming the car threw a rod, so it has a fresh 350 crate engine in it.

Ok, so it's not a Cobra, and yeah, ok, the Corvettes didn't fair so well against the 289 Cobras back in the day.. But, a cool car is a cool car, regardless of your personal brand loyalties

I think it looked cooler with the Washburn Livery painted on it (which is also more correct for the tribute car, since it's a 64, and the 64 style side vents are all wrong for the Penske car, which was a 66

(You see that? Period-correctness, attention to detail/minutia, and OCD are not just traits/annoyances inherent exclusively to the Cobra world )

Since Penske and Bondurant both have a strong local Arizona connection, I thought it was a fun auction to watch.

I wish I had the stones to put a vintage racecar livery on my car, then I could go out on weekend drives with you guys, and feel right at home bringing up the rear...