• 1 Post By t walgamuth
  • 2 Post By olddog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2020, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     
Default The Corvette used in Ford versus Ferrari movie...

...Sold yesterday on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19..._listing_ended

They painted the car Blue, with the Washburn racing livery for the early race scenes, depicting the time when Bob Bondurant would have been driving the 2nd #614 Washburn 63 Z06 Corvette, and then they re-painted the car and changed the wheels and sidepipes to depict the Roger Penske Corvette in its early #6 red livery (which is how the car was sold after filming wrapped)

During filming the car threw a rod, so it has a fresh 350 crate engine in it.

Ok, so it's not a Cobra, and yeah, ok, the Corvettes didn't fair so well against the 289 Cobras back in the day.. But, a cool car is a cool car, regardless of your personal brand loyalties

I think it looked cooler with the Washburn Livery painted on it (which is also more correct for the tribute car, since it's a 64, and the 64 style side vents are all wrong for the Penske car, which was a 66

(You see that? Period-correctness, attention to detail/minutia, and OCD are not just traits/annoyances inherent exclusively to the Cobra world )

Since Penske and Bondurant both have a strong local Arizona connection, I thought it was a fun auction to watch.

I wish I had the stones to put a vintage racecar livery on my car, then I could go out on weekend drives with you guys, and feel right at home bringing up the rear...
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

RB, get a wrap and then you can fairly-easily change it back when you tire of the look.
Just a thought...
Old 07-17-2020, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

i like the red 20% better than the blue.
MKS427 likes this.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
i like the red 20% better than the blue.
Me too.
t walgamuth likes this.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

To quote a not-so-famous friend of mine, " it's a sports car dammit!" By definition it should be red.
Alfa02 likes this.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 07-17-2020, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The red Penske version looks more like my own 64, since I already have the 5-spoke wheels (which I originally purchased several years back for my Unique289)....

Then:
Name:  IMG_0374.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  94.4 KB

Now:
Name:  20190402_182116.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  86.1 KB
BigGuy, Scotchman, Alfa02 and 1 others like this.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:36 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Nice to see Ol'RB is still keeping an eye on us I so liked your CR, then of course (Loved) the 289FIA car. Now you know what we call you? (Danr) came up with this one Chevette owner Cheers TommyRot. At least I like your wheel's
moore_rb likes this.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I like the five spokes.
moore_rb likes this.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

Here's a 67 replica sold at Mecum Thursday for $90K hammer price. Copy of Bondurant 1967 LeMans car. Engine blew, didn't finish.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0520-42...orvette-coupe/

AZ Bob
Old 07-17-2020, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

$90K seems like enough...
Old 07-17-2020, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Nice Corvette. Kind of a shame they stuck a 350 crate engine in it. I would have preferred to see an engine that was actually offered by the factory, but the new owner can resolve that very easily, if they choose to.
moore_rb and ront49 like this.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Nice Corvette. Kind of a shame they stuck a 350 crate engine in it. I would have preferred to see an engine that was actually offered by the factory, but the new owner can resolve that very easily, if they choose to.
Yes. Most movie prop cars that are portrayed to be modified cars , are in reality not what they are portrayed to be, some more than others. I can think of two movie prop cars , that is of modified cars, that are true to life as they were portrayed in the movie they were featured in. Yellow’57 chevy from Hollywood Knights and the Two Lane Blacktop ‘55 chevy. I’m sure there are others as well.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 07-18-2020, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes. Most movie prop cars that are portrayed to be modified cars , are in reality not what they are portrayed to be, some more than others. .
The original numbers on this car are nothing spectacular- It was a base 250hp 327 with 3-speed manual from the factory. Riverside red is the correct original paint code for this car.

I figure the "used in a movie" provenance added about 30% to this car's otherwise non-numbers matching market value (a really nice, correct-numbers 327 3spd 64 Vette is going to bring about 45k on a good day, and a really nice non-numbers car about 12-15% less than that.

Like Anthony says- Most movie cars (especially cars like this one), that are emulating historical cars which actually existed, are typically nothing more than visual representations of the original...)

This car, being a 64, has good bones, but it is set up for a small block, which is another reason I liked it better in the Bondurant/Washburn livery. A souped up 327 is the correct engine for the Washburn 614 race car, and the 350 that's in it could be visually dressed up to be externally indistinguishable from a 327...

For vintage racing, the car would have to be returned to a 327 to meet Class 6B rules for a 64 Corvette.

Making this car match the actual Penske racing Corvette mechanically would require a project, and some serious cash, because the actual Penske car had a 427 Big Block, and a BBC is not a "bolt in and go" proposition with the 64 Corvette. GM extensively modified the firewall design of the late-65 Corvettes in order to fit the MarkIV 396 big blocks.

Now, from a cubic inch/performance standpoint, you could easily slam a 427 stroker SBC into this car, and it would make all the same cubes and power as the original Penske car, but would perform even better (because you save about 240 pounds, and keep the Corvette's optimum weight distribution )

That's what I'd do... Although it wouldn't be legal for any sanctioned vintage racing classes
Old 07-19-2020, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

One of the Corvettes in the movie had a 1967 big block hood, of course, that hood wasn't available until 1967.