View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Nice Corvette. Kind of a shame they stuck a 350 crate engine in it. I would have preferred to see an engine that was actually offered by the factory, but the new owner can resolve that very easily, if they choose to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes. Most movie prop cars that are portrayed to be modified cars , are in reality not what they are portrayed to be, some more than others. .
The original numbers on this car are nothing spectacular- It was a base 250hp 327 with 3-speed manual from the factory. Riverside red is the correct original paint code for this car.

I figure the "used in a movie" provenance added about 30% to this car's otherwise non-numbers matching market value (a really nice, correct-numbers 327 3spd 64 Vette is going to bring about 45k on a good day, and a really nice non-numbers car about 12-15% less than that.

Like Anthony says- Most movie cars (especially cars like this one), that are emulating historical cars which actually existed, are typically nothing more than visual representations of the original...)

This car, being a 64, has good bones, but it is set up for a small block, which is another reason I liked it better in the Bondurant/Washburn livery. A souped up 327 is the correct engine for the Washburn 614 race car, and the 350 that's in it could be visually dressed up to be externally indistinguishable from a 327...

For vintage racing, the car would have to be returned to a 327 to meet Class 6B rules for a 64 Corvette.

Making this car match the actual Penske racing Corvette mechanically would require a project, and some serious cash, because the actual Penske car had a 427 Big Block, and a BBC is not a "bolt in and go" proposition with the 64 Corvette. GM extensively modified the firewall design of the late-65 Corvettes in order to fit the MarkIV 396 big blocks.

Now, from a cubic inch/performance standpoint, you could easily slam a 427 stroker SBC into this car, and it would make all the same cubes and power as the original Penske car, but would perform even better (because you save about 240 pounds, and keep the Corvette's optimum weight distribution )

That's what I'd do... Although it wouldn't be legal for any sanctioned vintage racing classes