Old 08-01-2020, 11:06 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
Anyone have experience purging the coolant system in preparation for running this stuff? Specifically a spf with a windsor? It’s intriguing as it runs NO pressure!

Thanks
Steve H
Hi Steve,

When I did it I was replacing the radiator, water pump, overflow tanks and all hoses at the same time, so it was mainly the 385 series block that needed purging.

Before disassembling the old parts, the coolant was drained and filled/run with distilled water and drained to remove most of the coolant. After draining the radiator and removing all the above-mentioned parts that were being replaced, the top end water was gone.

High volume, low pressure air was used to purge much of the remaining prior water/coolant from the system, also raising the rear of the car. Then did a pour through of 2 gallons of Evans Prep fluid through the block to scavenge old coolant/water from the block. Again blew out with air.

Then left high volume, low pressure commercial blower air running through the block for a couple days to speed evaporation of the remaining water/prep fluid. It might have been easier to remove the block drains, but with my old block I didn’t want to risk bigger issues.

I realized there was likely a small amount of water still in there. My plan for that was to first ensure once filled with Evans, the water content was well under the Evans max limit. I bought a small refractometer to measure that. Upon initial test it was under the limit, but not to my comfort level.

I then drained about a half gallon at a time from the radiator and added more Evans, running it and testing again, 2-3 times. That brought that water content well down in the low acceptable water content range. My second plan was to then periodically drain and replace a bit more Evans after initial periods of use to ensure any water content was getting circulated and removed.

During this entire process I was running everything I did by a very knowledgeable and helpful Evans tech named Pete. The number I’d recorded for him was just there main number 888-290-2665. This was a couple years ago now.

Keep in mind that Evans is more viscous (I believe is the term) than typical coolant/water and is able to seep or leak through small holes and imperfect seals that coolant/water won’t get through. So it requires a sound system with sound sealing methods.

This video from Evans Prep Fluid demo on a Ferrari may be helpful. Also included the Install/Prep page that video is on:

https://youtu.be/GvBAyps69-c

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-...-installation/

Best of luck in your consideration and if you decide to go that route!

Brent