View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB 67 Corvette View Post
Don't get me wrong, the SPF Cobra is a quality replica, but the "value" most owners ascribe to them, especially members of SCOF, is crazy and self serving. I bought my small block SPF Cobra in June for $38.5k. My car had 7k miles and was in excellent condition. My buddy in Texas bought a mint big block SPF Cobra for $44k. If a Buyer is patient, they can find a nice SPF small block for around $40k and a nice SPF big block for around 45k. Paying $60k to $70k for these used REPLICA cars is, in my opinion, ridiculous and paying $80k to 90k for a new REPLICA is even crazier. I got into a discussion about the value of these SPF Cobra's on the SCOF Board and was immediately attacked by the SCOF Administrator and his "Cronies" who said used SPF Cobra REPLICAS were worth in the $60k to $70k range (it seems some SCOF members "broker" cars for a profit) . They also talked about "upgrades" sold by a Company the Administrator owns, and the value they add to the SPF Cobra. I questioned the value of these upgrades and whether they were even needed. I also posted real ads for SPF Cobra's for sale at reasonable prices to assist members looking for a car. As a result of my actions and opinions, I was kicked off the SCOF Board. I was told that SCOF is a private organization and my membership was being revoked, without a refund, because I could not get along with other members, and that I had no recourse. It was obvious to me that I was being kicked off the SCOF Board because I didn't agree with their self serving opinions. My point is, don't believe the "hype" on used SPF Cobra values. There are SPF Cobra deals out there if you are patient, and you DON'T have to pay $60k+ for a used one.
With all due respect you should not generalize about any Cobra member's view of their car's value. I bought a mint well maintained SPF , Roush 427SR with 21k miles with many chrome/engine extras for just over $60k this past February. The prior owner had a 5inch 3-ring binder with the entire car build history, maintenance records and receipts. I felt it was a great value because other than normal maintenance, I get in and drive it with no worries or surprises. Maybe I am not the norm but many factors are included in valuing any car including lineage.
I also own 5 other gated classic sports cars including 2 Ferrari's and apply the same logic in valuing them. Desired gated sports cars with great lineage/history records will appreciate if well maintained in an authentic way.

You should not generalize and misdirect/confuse someone who is trying to help someone find a good SPF.

Mark

Superformance: SPO2454 , Titanium w/Black Stripes
Engine: Roush 427SR w/770cfm 4-Barrel Holley
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600

Last edited by Moritz55; 09-11-2020 at 04:06 AM..