View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

We all have gotten so used to looking at the original Cobras that we forget they were very rudimentary cars built in England as an inexpensive common man's racer. The Maserati Birdcage, early Porsche 908- 917's & Mercedes 300SL used this sort of chassis design.

The question is how well the frame was engineered. I am in the middle of a Locost 7 build right now as well and it uses a similar design. But Colin Chapman had designed a very robust frame and it had been race proven and improved over time.

Only close inspection will validate if it is a well built design or a death trap. Wait- in the hands of an inexperienced driver (sic-me), any car is a death trap!

I would tend to believe that even if it is well done and brought back to life, potential buyers in the future will be limited because it is quite different from what we have become accustomed to seeing as replicas. Whether they are close copies or less expensive square perimeter frame replicas, we have grown to expect a certain design.

Thom