View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 01:36 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
A 427 street car would not have Stewart-Warner gauges, rather Smiths. And no 427s had anything but a black interior. But a very nice car! Had a local ERA that a friend owned that was dark green in full street trim, no scoop, sidepipes and no roll bar.
I didn't build it, but saved it from a life of thrashing by the original owner just outside West Palm Beach. Actually saw the car (3 years before I actually bought it) when it had MSD/Accel/etc speed stickers all over the engine compartment, a soiled brown carpet, seats eaten by something large, and white painted, flaking sidepipes, oh, and 14:1 engine compression in a storage building off military trail while I was visiting my parents for their 50th anniversary, coincidentally the same weekend I bought an original Lotus 7 at the Barrett Jackson auction (on a Sunday morning, 3rd of 4th over the block) on a whim when I went to purchase an ultra low mileage Red/Gray leather interior 86 SVO. I can remember seeing the 16 year old I was bidding against, and stopped bidding against him at I think $10,700, he got it for $10,800+ fees. Next item up was the Lotus 7, barely ran (had been in a museum for many years and ran on stale gas and dry rotted spark plug wires), I kept thinking to myself "boy is that cheap, I'd buy it for that", three bids in $100 increments later, and I did. Came back to my folks house when bagels and the Sunday New York Times and told them what I bought. In unison, 4 of the 7 people there said "what is a Lotus 7"....LOL....Had to show them a picture off the BJ site to explain what exactly I was having shipping back to NJ at the time........

It's amazing the clarity of such things, I can remember that like it was just yesterday, but can't tell you what I had for dinner on Wednesday night.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS