View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig.

Because of registration compliance requirements here in South Australia, almost everything under the skin on my build differs from a 1960’s Cobra, hence the semi-monocoque “chassis” and the engine specs.

So which "power plant"? The engine is a 302, originally factory-built by Tickford. It is at least from the Windsor family and of course has strong links back to the original 289FIA cars. Because of registration regulations here in South Australia, it must comply with “Australian Design Rule 37/01”. This means that the engine has to wear all of its 2002 vintage emissions equipment which then allows a tick on the form at registration time; no emissions testing is required.

Further information: our local South Australian Cobra Club has been in discussions for some time with our State Government Transport Department regarding the possibility of relaxing these requirements for our Cobras. If successful, I would then be able to modify the engine to look much closer to an original FIA/USRRC car’s engine.

Short question, and long answer

Cheers!
Glen