View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

I have switched to the Wilwood hanging pedal assembly about 10 years ago. The original EM pedal assembly would push the shaft plunger in the master cylinder in an angle causing them to leak over time.
The Wilwood and Tilton are virtually the same with similar adjustments either will work just fine.
I have done extensive research on brakes and would recommend shooting for a 6:1 ratio. Also calculate piston area, number of pistons per caliper and foot pedal pressure. I rigged up a pressure gauge and installed on the caliper front and rear (one each) to know exactly my “ feel good” pedal pressure at the calipers. Additionally I rigged up a scale at the same angle to determine foot pedal pressure. Also I came across an excellent excel spreadsheet that will help determine master cylinder pressures. Information was also found in the 4x4 forums since they revert back to manual brakes or there systems are already manual. Sand rails cars are another source for manual brakes.

My end result was a much better, confident braking experience. If I recall correctly my pressures were 930 psi at for caliper and 850 on the rear. Keep in mind these pressures can now be easily adjusted with the Wilwood / Tilton pedal assembly since they are in a window of acceptable pressures.

I hope this helps someone.