View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

Hi Bob,

Over the years I have been developing the wiring on my Cobra, and drawn decent working diagrams for my own reference. I built the car up myself from a bare Kirkham chassis body unit for a leafspring rack and pinion street car, RHD, based on a COB car of 1964. I originally built this with all Lucas wiring, DB10, correct wiper switch and DR3 motor, indicator switch, Smiths instruments etc. to full English spec, but using a period Autolite alternator with Ford external regulator. I then rewired it completely to replace the Autolite with a Dynator (alternator hidden in a dynamo casing) to allow for an original cable-drive tacho, with a dummy voltage regulator box as per the UK-market cars of '64/5. The wiring for this started out as the well-known diagram from the 289 'Chassis Instruction Manual' that is widely available, but fleshed out for Cobra and with a few minor modifications. I have been careful to use all the correct Lucas colour codes, and have kept the ammeter in circuit also. Otter switch etc. are as original also. If you're interested in these I can send them to you, with all the usual caveats if you choose to use them.

Roger

Last edited by rsk289; 01-09-2021 at 03:27 PM..