LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2020, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CSX2005 - 2124 Wiring Schematic

Folks: First, to save lots of unnecessary responses:
1. Yes, I do have an original manual to go with CSX 2073, but the schematic was not updated by AC from the Bristol to the early Cobra’s. Hence, there are subtle differences that make it difficult to use with high confidence.
2. Yes, I know the basic rules governing Lucas wiring, and use them faithfully.
3. Yes, I have searched the WWW and contacted Rhode Island Wiring, but that contact was several years back, so maybe they got an original early harness in and made a schematic from it.

I’m looking for a schematic that used the Ford regulator, generator, solenoid, Rotunda Tack, worm and sector turn indicator, mechanical fuel pump, egg beater Lucas fan, Otter thermostat, DB-10 relay box for turn indicators, Lucas flasher, and Smith gauges.

If any skilled owner or professional restorer created a “custom” schematic for the early Cobra’s, I would gladly pay to get a large copy of it, including the correct color code legend.

Thank you for reading my thread, and I wish you all a better 2021!!
Old 12-27-2020, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hope you find what you're looking for!
I was hoping Rhode Island Wiring would pick up the harness plans and molding equipment from Narragansett Reproductions for the later 2201 and up cars but it looks like they haven't. Narragansett screwed me out of $1500 when Ed Pease passed away. I received neither my ordered harness nor a refund! The son won't return any inquiries either.

Larry
Old 12-27-2020, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, Larry! I’m so sorry that happened to you! The Cobra world is pretty small. Bad experiences such as yours make owners leary to do business with people they have zero leverage over! I’m glad I don’t need a complete harness!
Bob
Old 12-27-2020, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob! I do see that Rhode Island added a couple Cobra harnesses that I didn't see a couple years ago. Have you check with them lately?

Also, I know it's a long shot but does your chassis manual have the same schematic as the one in this manual? https://www.chuckcobra.com/cobra-man...anuals-01.html

Larry
Old 12-30-2020, 12:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Larry, I looked at the link to the 427 manual, and confirmed it's the same schematic as mine.
I’ll call Rhode Island wire to see if they have made any new drawings of early chassis harnesses sent in for duplication. Happy New Year!
Bob
LMH likes this.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 leafspring, r/p
Not Ranked     

Hi Bob,

Over the years I have been developing the wiring on my Cobra, and drawn decent working diagrams for my own reference. I built the car up myself from a bare Kirkham chassis body unit for a leafspring rack and pinion street car, RHD, based on a COB car of 1964. I originally built this with all Lucas wiring, DB10, correct wiper switch and DR3 motor, indicator switch, Smiths instruments etc. to full English spec, but using a period Autolite alternator with Ford external regulator. I then rewired it completely to replace the Autolite with a Dynator (alternator hidden in a dynamo casing) to allow for an original cable-drive tacho, with a dummy voltage regulator box as per the UK-market cars of '64/5. The wiring for this started out as the well-known diagram from the 289 'Chassis Instruction Manual' that is widely available, but fleshed out for Cobra and with a few minor modifications. I have been careful to use all the correct Lucas colour codes, and have kept the ammeter in circuit also. Otter switch etc. are as original also. If you're interested in these I can send them to you, with all the usual caveats if you choose to use them.

Roger
xb-60 likes this.

Last edited by rsk289; 01-09-2021 at 03:27 PM..
Old 01-09-2021, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.erareplicas.com/temp/289_wiring_diagram.jpg
Old 01-09-2021, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had an interesting week and hopefully light at the end of the tunnel with my harness!
I was searching around on Facebook and ran across a guy that had posted to beware of anyone selling harnesses from Narragansett or Eric Pease. To make a long story shorter, the guy from Facebook, Franklin, put me in touch with Edmund, who is the son in law of Ed Pease, the owner of Narragansett Reproductions that passed away. Edmund has been trying to pay off debits and get the remaining harnesses out to customers that Eric just left hanging when Ed passed away. Edmund looked in the shop and low and behold, there was my completed harness, boxed but never shipped! Over two years I've been stressing about this thing and now it's being sent to me! So I'm really excited and owe a huge thank you to Franklin and Edmund for their help!
I'll post some pics when I get it!

Larry
1795 likes this.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I would be interested in drawing one up if I could get some guidance. I have already done the Superformance 289’s, MKIII’s and the GT40’s and current CSX 4000/6000, 7000 and 8000 cars Diagrams along with all the Tribute cars.
Please contact me here or offline if you prefer....
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 01-10-2021, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
That's the diagram from the AC-published Chassis Instruction Manual. It is missing some elements of the wiring for a Cobra, apart from being difficult to read!
That's the one I have developed into a more practical version, including either externally-regulated Autolite alternator or modern Dynator/Dynalite charging.
Attached Images

LMH, CompClassics and Armrer like this.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This was my diagram for the Autolite version:
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2021, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow!! LOTS of exciting news on this thread!! First, lets all give thanks to Edmund, Ed Pease’s son-in-law, for his forthrightness in performing the difficult task of clearing up financial matters left after the loss of Ed Pease. What a wonderful ending to a two-year saga about the wiring harness saga! Son-in-Law Edmund sets a “do the right thing” example for us all!

Secondly, I am pleasantly shocked and overjoyed that RSK289 in Europe has not only created a schematic for the early Cobra’s with a Ford regulator, but he is so wonderfully gracious to share it with us! RSK289, if I sent you my address in a private message, would you send me an 11” wide by 17” long ( twice the size of an 8.5 x 11 standard sheet of paper)
Copy of it? I would gladly remit the cost of shipping and your time for doing so. You could also email to the address I sent you a high resolution file attachment, which I could then print out. Having the schematic twice the standard size makes it much more useable for resolving wiring issues. Perhaps you might even consider sharing it with Rhode Island Wiring, who many of us seek help from, and rely upon their continuing to make these limited edition products. Having a correct Schematic greatly reduces the cost of re-creating it.

Finally, Club Cobra Member Blas joined this thread, and apparently is also in the specialty wiring business. He has offered to assist in drawing up your diagram!

I’ll leave the “bigger picture” issues up to you, RSK289, but I would be eternally grateful to have a high Rez file of you schematic! I bought CSX 2073 in 1967 from its original owner, who had installed a Judson Supercoil system, and thus messed with the original wiring. Also, when he painted the car just before selling it to me, the painter must have removed the DB10 relay to access the body for paint. The reason I suspect this is because the turn indicators didn’t work when I bought it, and I struggled to figure out how to restore the wiring correctly. I was only 16 at the time, and wiring was more confusing to me than girls at that time! After 41 years of marriage, I’ve got the girl issue pretty well solved, but my Cobra wiring still perplexes me!! LOL!!!

PLEASE let me know about my request, RSK289!!
THANKS a MILLION to everyone for the super responses!!!
Bob
LMH likes this.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

One thing that would be helpful would be the proper part numbers for all the components used in the wiring. I usually try to emulate the layout of the component I’m connecting wiring to. Part numbers and photos make that a much easier process.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 01-10-2021, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, I've sent a couple of emails as requested in the highest resolution I have.

I must stress that I am just an amateur car restorer, not professional and not in the automotive trade, let alone an autoelectrician. I have an eclectic collection of classics, many with modified electrical systems, and have drawn diagrams of all from the Mini to the XK140 just so I know what I'm dealing with when I need to fix something. As I've said in my email, you need to check with a US expert as my Cobra is built to UK-market spec, with all Lucas equipment now. I believe cars for the US market (CSX) would have used elements of Ford wiring harnesses, which would have been completely differently colour-coded, if my Mustang's anything to go by. You will see that my earlier system, with the Autolite alternator, uses Lucas colour codes which I'm sure would not be correct. It should not be difficult to find what the Ford colour codes would have been.

I hope this helps, and let me know if I can help any further (if at all!).

Roger
LMH likes this.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

RSK289,
I know it was January of 2021 that I requested a high resolution copy of the schematic you created for the Mark 1 Cobra with a generator and Lucas electrical components. You graciously emailed it to me, but for some reason, I never received it. I’m going to send you a private message with my Email with the hope that you might have mercy upon me and re-send it. I understand and accept all the qualifiers noted in its creation! Thank you!!! Bob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: