View Single Post
Old 06-18-2002, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Mustang 427 CO (489 cid), TKO-600
Send a message via AIM to My427stang
Not Ranked     
Default What I'd do

Hi guys, new to this forum and not a Cobra guy, running a 427 70 Mustang Fastback.

For more torque, I'd find a 428 crank, make it a 410. You'll need to buy new pistons but can keep your stock rods. May as well get a frsh bore on it too, .030-.040 would be safe.

With that, a nice hyd cam will help your mid range, I am assuming you dont want truck style torque, but mid range pull, so I wouldnt go under 280 degrees advertised duration. Many people undercam FE's, they like duration and with the intake design, cam it well and chase torque with the intake. For a Cobra I'd recommend something like a 284 duration intake and a 288 or so exhaust duration with mid .500' lift.

With an Edelbrock RPM, F427, PI intake, or even a cast Iron CJ intake and a 750 double pumper, that thing will tear your head off and be easily driveable. If you are looking for a little tamer combo, all I'd switch is the carb to an Edelbrock 750. My opinion is stay away from regular Performer intakes, I lost low end with a Performer on my truck and it came right back with the PI intake and gained a bunch of mid-range. For compression 10:1 is plenty, I wouldnt go crazy, you want to drive the thing and pinging makes them no fun. You can make the HP without it, we just did a Ch*** 462 and it made 603 horse @ 6100 with 10:1

I run the same setup as above in my 4x4 truck and it idles well, will roast 35 inch tires, and has been absolutley reliable for over 40K miles, towing everything that needed to be towed, or playing streetracer with a 4x4!. In the Mustang I went a little more radical, but hey, its not a daily ride.

You'll be at 416-418 cubes, and make more power than an original CJ. Just my 2 cents