Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA / nascar side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default I need more tork , I only want BB

I have a 390 that was built for high preformance . It is pefect . But I want more tork . Should I think about having it stroked ? sell it ? Or leave it as a spare ? would a 427 be the best bet ? or a 428 ? 427 srtoked top oil ?, is a solid lift engine something I am going to want to get the full effect .
Old 05-08-2002, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Question The real question each of us has to ask is,....

How big is your cobra wallet? Sideoilers are expensive, and the 427/428 motors tend to have more overall problems due to age, condition, and the big variable, WHO inspected/approved/built them, since they are unique motors. From all I have heard, I would have mine built by Southern, were I to go that way...

The best budget/quick way to get BIG HP is a crate engine, from Ford Racing. I am going with the 514 600 horse. 590 ft lbs of torque without my custom fuel injection/MSD ignition, etc...:

http://www.fordracing.com/parts/sear...ults/index.asp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not enough torque/HP??? Try the *Monster Merlin* motor, 780 HP on pump premium. I would have used one of these for my turnkey, but it seemed over the top, HP/torque wise, and I wanted fuel injection
http://www.theengineshop.com/engine4.shtml

Watch the dyno video/audio there, for a giggle!

Look around that site, they have lesser motors also !
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 05-10-2002, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

You did not leave us much to go on John.. What do you have now? What cam? gear ratio? intake? a few gears down, up numerically, makes a big difference.. What tires are you running?? The smaller (diameter) the more torque multiplication you will get..

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 05-10-2002, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

January or February Street Rodder Magazine did a 390FE buildup. Punched the thing out to 434ci, and got some extremely impressive numbers out of it. Read the article.
Old 05-10-2002, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Unhappy UT-OH

BIB said

"Sideoilers are expensive, and the 427/428 motors tend to have more overall problems due to age, condition, and the big variable, WHO inspected/approved/built them, since they are unique motors. From all I have heard, I would have mine built by Southern, were I to go that way... "

BIB,

Bill Parham (Southern Automotive)is going to pay you a visit, and he is BIG. I mean BIG! ....lol I'm sure he has a different idea than you on FE's. So eat ur Wheaties!!!

Really though, nothing wrong with a FE Block. Not at all. It all comes down to what you want. If you like to pop the hood, and have that 427 look, then your engine will be a FE. And the price ain't bad!

But since I was waffling for 4 weeks on my engine pick, I can say for sure that all the engines are good. All depends on what you want. Speaking of Depends, I will wear a pair the next time I get into a Cobra with a 514! Soooooooooooooo much torque!!!!! WOW!

I like the sound of a stroked SB, so thats the way I went.

Great Asp!
Old 05-10-2002, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your responces ! No dyno sheet , he moved his shop or something , but Danburry comp motors Conn. is good . I guess I could talk to him first .
There are to many ways to look at this . I guess let someone drive it and sell the motor if I want the 427, then again ... you get the idea ,just to many ways to look at it . I want to do engine work my self , but that does not make any sence either. Just to much measuring and I want it to be a professional job .
I love these fancy problems !

15" tires + rims Standered ERA sizes , Wide top loader , 354 rear , had 331 , like that one to , I need to cars ,406 heads , 30 over bore , preformer RPM intake ,4150 hp , canton road race pan , ballanced blueprinted , 10-1 .Based on price probably summit parts inside .
Old 05-10-2002, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Red face Ooopps!

Thanks for da warning , Great Asp!

Maybe if I buy a Boss 302 from Bill, he won't be mad at me?

I can use it in a 289FIA or ?? (You fill in the blanks)

Yes, I suppose it *depends* on who is driving the 514 too. In my case you might want a spare pair of depends for pit stops
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 05-11-2002, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking BIB, you crazy man!

Great Asp
Old 05-11-2002, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great asp If you are looking for an all alum Shelby BB at a good price call Keith Roher at 1717834311 It is a 484 Fe new with only break in time. Leave him a message at Ford. Rick Lake
Old 05-12-2002, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Was lost, now I am found.

Rick,

Where were you when I needed ya???

lol

Nope, I am having a 418 built for my new ride. Eagle forged crank, Eagle rods, Forged JE pistons 10.5:1, New AFR 205 intake runner heads, and a .593 lift cam with Vic Jr single plane intake/Race Demon carb. Should get me to around 550 HP.

I would have entertained the motor you suggested though, sounds like a killer!

In the end I found that all of my choices were good ones, I just needed 3 Cobras.....

Great Asp
Old 05-12-2002, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry ASP I only found out about this motor a week ago. What is a 418, windsor,cleveland, or FE ? It has more than 400 ci., Sounds like a large motor to me Hope to see you at Run&Gun this year with your monster. Good Luck Rick Lake
Old 05-12-2002, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink Ill be there!!!

Rick,

I will be at the Run & Gun this year, don't know if I will be a participant or not yet. If I am, Ill be the slowest guy on the track! Don't want to wreck another SPF that quick!

418 is a 351W, bored and stroked.

Eric
Old 05-13-2002, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Eric You can autocross and have a great time. Last year I was the slowest, had a trans problem and had a great time. The car was not hurt and the gremlins are being fixed one at a time. Slow will not get you hurt, ignore common cents and speed, that get you hurt. If you treat the car with respect it will not hurt you. Can't wait to see the car St Lious, Rick Lake
Old 05-14-2002, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies , It is fun trying to decied how to have more fun
I did decide on having a engine built . With break in time , ballance card , all the suggestions that George A. (Guess ford) has on his web site . As far as posting this topic , A friend and I got our cars dynoed at the same time , 428 had about 100 lbs more tork . The tables are tilted . so with out sending 5 to 10 grand I was hopping for an easy fix . I could stroke the 390 , but most of the other parts should be upgraded to the top shelf . I mentioned the big block only because Im reusing all the other parts . Valve covers , collector pipes , intake , pullies ,etc.
I remember reading a post here at cc . Static compression vs. calculated compression (?) So if I want to just barely run pump gas what is the highest compression can I build . I have 10.5 to 1 now , does that mean it is less under load ? If I build 12 to 1 will octaine boster work ? OR will the engine turn to junk . Why does the 427 have more tork when the 428 has more stroke ? Thank in advance .
Old 06-18-2002, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Mustang 427 CO (489 cid), TKO-600
Send a message via AIM to My427stang
Not Ranked     
Default What I'd do

Hi guys, new to this forum and not a Cobra guy, running a 427 70 Mustang Fastback.

For more torque, I'd find a 428 crank, make it a 410. You'll need to buy new pistons but can keep your stock rods. May as well get a frsh bore on it too, .030-.040 would be safe.

With that, a nice hyd cam will help your mid range, I am assuming you dont want truck style torque, but mid range pull, so I wouldnt go under 280 degrees advertised duration. Many people undercam FE's, they like duration and with the intake design, cam it well and chase torque with the intake. For a Cobra I'd recommend something like a 284 duration intake and a 288 or so exhaust duration with mid .500' lift.

With an Edelbrock RPM, F427, PI intake, or even a cast Iron CJ intake and a 750 double pumper, that thing will tear your head off and be easily driveable. If you are looking for a little tamer combo, all I'd switch is the carb to an Edelbrock 750. My opinion is stay away from regular Performer intakes, I lost low end with a Performer on my truck and it came right back with the PI intake and gained a bunch of mid-range. For compression 10:1 is plenty, I wouldnt go crazy, you want to drive the thing and pinging makes them no fun. You can make the HP without it, we just did a Ch*** 462 and it made 603 horse @ 6100 with 10:1

I run the same setup as above in my 4x4 truck and it idles well, will roast 35 inch tires, and has been absolutley reliable for over 40K miles, towing everything that needed to be towed, or playing streetracer with a 4x4!. In the Mustang I went a little more radical, but hey, its not a daily ride.

You'll be at 416-418 cubes, and make more power than an original CJ. Just my 2 cents