View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

This is the car advertised for sale in Monaco. (The silver yacht behind it is an awesome 90 foot Pershing 9X that runs well over 40 knots with surface piercing drives.)

The thing I dislike the most about the 289 FIA / USRRC Cobras. These exhaust pipes are practically resting on the pavement! That car with the suspension travel set at less than two inches (remember - the tires also flex and compress) could probably be driven on a very smooth track. Many old photos of original USRRC/FIA Cobras show a fairly high ride height that I ASSume was to keep the pipes off the ground. Higher center of gravity and awful aerodynamics - not to mention ugly - no wonder the 427 competition cars switched to a much more sensible SIDE pipe design to allow larger diameter pipes without completely compromising ground clearance/ride height.
More pics
Note the clearance between the top of the tires and the fenders.

Below: They figured it out with the development of the "turd". Even larger diameter pipes moved to the side of the car instead of underneath allowed for a much lower ride height. Compare to the chassis ground clearance of the 289 car directly behind it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 04-26-2021 at 07:21 AM..