View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 09:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I’m resurrecting an old thread with a question that’s specific to a Superformance with a Roush motor. I have a 402 Roush with a Powermaster alternator.

In December, I noticed that the belt needed to be replaced. The engine was running great with no noticeable fan belt slippage or noise, but I was having some intermittent charging problems. I thought the belt might be slipping, so I looked for an equivalent to the 15386 Goodyear belt I was running. I tried a Napa belt that fit the bill allowing the alternator to barely clear the firewall. When I started the car, I heard an unbelievably loud squeal, which went away when I got out on the road.

I diagnosed that the alternator had failed, so I replaced the alternator. I installed the Napa belt again, and experienced the same loud squeal at start up. I then decide to try the 7375 Gates belt discussed in this thread. It’s a bear to get on, but it does provide much better clearance between the alternator and the firewall. The squealing is happening a little less frequently, but it made a major racket when I started the car on Sunday.

So...a loud squeal with a Napa belt and the old alternator. Squealing with a Napa belt and a new alternator, and squealing with the Gates 7375 belt and a new alternator.

Any ideas? The car isn’t overheating but maybe the water pump bearing is going south?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 05-11-2021 at 09:21 PM..