Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-29-2012, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default alternator bracket

I have a Roush 402 in my SPF and I would like to change the alternator/fan belt and havent done this type of work in a while.
When looking at the Roush bracket, there are 4 bolts, one being slotted.

I assume that I would need to remove the 2 bolts on the right side ( looking into the engine compartment, drivers side to my right ) loosen the top bolt and that would allow the bracket to move to loosen the belt.

Then after the belt is replaced, put those 2 bolts back in and do any extra belt tightening with the slotted bolt on the bottom. Any particular spot to put the pry bar in to pivot the alternator?

Has anyone done this? Is this the correct precedure? Dont want to take things apart that I dont need to and dont want to break anything.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I think you have it Steve, but if I remember right you only need to loosen the two bolts that are actually attached to your alternator. The lower bolt is either a 5/8" or 11/16" and your top bolt is probably a 9/16" bolt. No need to loosen any other bolts unless you are using a turn buckle type tension devise.

If you are going to use a pry bar I would wrap it in a shop towel (some of the SPF's I have seen have a polished Alt). I also assume you are dealing with a V belt and not a serpentine belt.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-29-2012, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Clois. In the past on other cars, I have loosened just the alternator bolts and done the adjustment.
I think what I'm confused on is that the way the alternator sits in the Roush bracket, it appears that the alternator cannot move to loosen it or the fins would hit the bracket.

Or can it move enough to get the belt off and just appears to not have enough travel??
Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Steve-0

I had to remove the adjustment bolt to move the alternator in enough to get the belt on, I use a Gates 7375 belt on my 402R which gave me a ½ inch more room next to the engine bay side wall.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did you have any issues with the alternator hitting the inner wheel fiberglass when trying to tighten it? On mine, the alternator hits or it seems like the fins are about to.

I assume other cars have the same issue and yours was built about the same time as mine.
Any need to remove the other alternator bracket bolts or does removing the adjustment bolt allow you to get the belt on and off?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-O View Post
Did you have any issues with the alternator hitting the inner wheel fiberglass when trying to tighten it? On mine, the alternator hits or it seems like the fins are about to.

I assume other cars have the same issue and yours was built about the same time as mine.
Any need to remove the other alternator bracket bolts or does removing the adjustment bolt allow you to get the belt on and off?

Thanks!
Steve,

I've got a Roush 402 with a Powermaster alternator and the fans have slightly grazed the firewall over time.

I tried a number of different belts, but the only belt that I've found to work is the 15386 GoodYear. It's still a game of millimeters and it's hard as hell to get the belt on. Too large, and the alternator hits the firewall. Too small and you can't get the belt on and get the adjustment bolt back in.

Last time I put the belt on, I loosened all of the bolts, except for the bolt that goes through the water pump. Just loosen the one on top a little (leave it threaded).

A nice mod would be for Superformance to create a bump out where the alternators sits.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 09-12-2012, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any issue with grinding out some of the fiberglass in that side area?

Is there anything behind it that would prevent this? Appears to be some part of the wheel well.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

what belt are you using? you can get a smaller belt that pulls the alternators away from the side

Last edited by emberglo66; 09-12-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So the Gates belt is 37.5" and the Goodyear belt that I'm running is 38". I tried using a little pry bar for leverage, but I couldn't get the adjustment bolt back in (wasn't even close).

Steve, instead of messing around with the wheel well, you might want to look at the bracket and see if you can slot out the adjustment hole. I was thinking about doing that before, but to do it right you'd have to remove the bracket.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I finally got this figured out. The Gates 7375 belt mentioned by Emberglo66 works and is what was on the car originally.
On my car, I have to completely remove the top right bracket bolt, and remove the alternator adjustment bolt.
Then loosen the alternator top bolt and bottom right bolt enough so that the bracket moves out enough for the alternator to move behind it. The 7375 slips right on.
Its about .5 in from the wheel well , so no grinding needed.
There is enough slack in the belt to get the adjustment bolt back in also.
Hopefully other Roush setups are the same.
Thanks for all the advice!
Old 05-11-2021, 09:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I’m resurrecting an old thread with a question that’s specific to a Superformance with a Roush motor. I have a 402 Roush with a Powermaster alternator.

In December, I noticed that the belt needed to be replaced. The engine was running great with no noticeable fan belt slippage or noise, but I was having some intermittent charging problems. I thought the belt might be slipping, so I looked for an equivalent to the 15386 Goodyear belt I was running. I tried a Napa belt that fit the bill allowing the alternator to barely clear the firewall. When I started the car, I heard an unbelievably loud squeal, which went away when I got out on the road.

I diagnosed that the alternator had failed, so I replaced the alternator. I installed the Napa belt again, and experienced the same loud squeal at start up. I then decide to try the 7375 Gates belt discussed in this thread. It’s a bear to get on, but it does provide much better clearance between the alternator and the firewall. The squealing is happening a little less frequently, but it made a major racket when I started the car on Sunday.

So...a loud squeal with a Napa belt and the old alternator. Squealing with a Napa belt and a new alternator, and squealing with the Gates 7375 belt and a new alternator.

Any ideas? The car isn’t overheating but maybe the water pump bearing is going south?

Last edited by Got the Bug; 05-11-2021 at 09:21 PM..
Old 05-12-2021, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Belt is loose. It's probably easier to pry the alternator over from underneath the car due to the way the bracket is designed.

Unless you bracket doesn't look like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDSHm5_tTys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: