View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 11:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Hi Glen,

Looks like steady progress on your build. Getting the motor all sorted before it goes into the car is a wise move.

Was the 302 originally mated to a manual transmission or an automatic transmission?

While the motor is in the shop, a few suggestions to consider especially if the motor was originally mated to an automatic transmission:

- Review with your engine man the whole flywheel / clutch, release bearing and starter motor setup that you plan to use.

- Discuss what type of crankshaft pilot (spigot) bearing or bushing to use with your Toploader. It will be much easier for him to change it in his shop, rather than you doing it in your garage, should it need to be changed. Sometimes they are easy, other times not so much.

- May also want look at the crankshaft end play, no doubt there is a spec for that. I am not an engine expert, but I would assume motors are built to accept either type of transmission and that crankshaft end play is the same or similar for both. Would not hurt to ask.

- As I recall you plan to run a hydraulic throwout (release) bearing, instead of an external slave cylinder setup, due to space constraints. You want to be sure your setup is correct to avoid having to take things out in case of an interference or a leak.

Keep up the great work, you are getting closer and closer to the completing the build and then driving & enjoying your stunning Cobra!

- Tim