View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to Hoodabest
Not Ranked     
Default A tale of three Windsors.

This is the "new" build thread mentioned elsewhere. There's a good number of reasons for a fresh start, not the least of which was that the other thread was 3-1/2 years old and didn't have the focus I would have liked. But the MAIN reason is that, in keeping with my tendency to go overboard, the project has morphed from the initial goal of just a good, stout 351w, to a simple 408 stroker into three engines for 3 different vehicles. As it stands, there's the 408w that is bespoke to the Hurricane, the 351w that was a Craigslist buy, now penciled in to drop in my Midstates Cobra chassis, and lastly, the 351w currently under the hood of my t-top foxbody.

I guess a guy could say we have a mild-medium-hot type thing going on here. Being the inquisitive guy that I am, I see this as a perfect excuse to get all 3 of these on the dyno. Plus, the 408 and the craigslist engine will both be sporting dual-quads, and folks at my dyno shop are the go-to guys for this.

Just a pre-emptive note. Just about all of the parts have already been bought/traded/gifted, or were already on hand. Some parts there's simply no way I'd choose today if I were buying. A good example is head studs. I start to laugh every time someone brings up the overkill factor. I didn't fully realize it until i started looking at builds of guys with stellar reputations like Brent Lykins. That being said, I can't afford to throw out these studs simply because they're too good. Although they are a royal pain to work around. But next time...

If all went right, this post should have the 1st pic of the 408w short block.
Attached Images