View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSammy View Post
You have a correct Texas 2008 ASVE title for this car as is, so your title process is simple, transfer the ownership on the 130-U.

Second thing is to *register* it as a *Custom Vehicle* which requires the VTR-852 Inspection by an ASE Master Techician current in categories A1-A8. This is a unique inspection for replica cars and is NOT the usual TX State annual inspection. You do not do the regular TX State inspection on a Custom Vehicle. It will never get inspected again as long as it has Custom Vehicle plates. This step is required every time this replica car changes owners.

So get the VTR-852 inspection done by the ASE Master. Some Firestone and Christian Brothers locations have these guys. Call first. Make them confirm the currency in A1-A8.

From here I am not sure whether it can all be done at the county tag office, or if you have to make an appointment at DMV in Carrollton. New titles have to start there, but you are not new. I'd start at Collin Cty Tax Assessor. Bring title, bill of sale, insurance card, 130-U, 852, ASE's Certificate, checkbook and see what happens. Btw, you can take your insurance card in first and get a 30 day buyer tag so you're legal to drive to the ASE guy.

Good Luck!

I registered the cobra today. Frisco tax office. Followed all of the above and asked to be registered as a custom vehicle with all my paperwork including the completed VTR-852 form with the ASE’s certs. Interestingly the clerk indicated since already titled as a ASVE I didn’t actually need the VTR-852 with the certs. I asked about the manual indicating that I did and he indicated there are parts of the manual which are wrong or contradicts itself. The clerk indicated he does about 2 or 3 cobra replica registrations a year ( some like mine (used cobras), others new builds or out of state).
The clerk said the process used to be absolutely terrible with some folks being to get registered and other not. Walked out with new plates and a registration sticker. Of course all that paperwork has to get processed. I will probably be back barking in a month how this has gone terribly wrong . Just wanted to provide my experience as it may help someone else