Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2019, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK4, 5.0
Not Ranked     

All the information in this thread was invaluable to get through this process. On Monday I took all my information to the Tax office in Frisco and 20 minutes later I was out of there with my registration sticker and my 60 day paper tags. I paid no sales tax and they said I should get my title and plates in the mail in about 3-4 weeks. I paid a total of $141.00, which includes the $40 for the personalized plates.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey y'all, new member here. I live out in Weatherford and my cobra is being built right now in California. Reading through all this great information, it seems I theoretically could get my vehicle titled and registered in Texas without even needing it in the state to do so, Does this seem correct?

Reason being is I plan on having it the vehicle of state for a while and would like to save costs of shipping to Texas and back for the title and registration process, but if I have to I guess I will.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyler View Post
Hey y'all, new member here. I live out in Weatherford and my cobra is being built right now in California. Reading through all this great information, it seems I theoretically could get my vehicle titled and registered in Texas without even needing it in the state to do so, Does this seem correct?

Reason being is I plan on having it the vehicle of state for a while and would like to save costs of shipping to Texas and back for the title and registration process, but if I have to I guess I will.
I could see how you could do that with a modern type vehicle, like following the process for a military person or student that is a Texas resident but living out of state,

However, the Cobra probably needs all sorts of inspections that probably can't be accomplished unless the car is at the DMV to get things like the new VIN (if required, but you get the gist).

I'd call your state DMV office for the rules. Don't depend on the local guys for this one.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

Local guy here ... and the OP. No, if you want a TX title for a new ASVE you have to have the car physically inspected in TX by the ASE Certified Master Technician called for on the VTR-852 form (plus all the other forms and exhibits discussed further back in this thread).

Or if you were bringing in a Cali titled pre-owned car, it would still need a regular TX state inspection if something other than an ASVE.

Sam
bwcobra15 and Racer_X like this.
Exes: ERA #745, CAVGT #180, Kirkham KMP0268, SPF GT40P2306, '05 Ford GT #1605, Exact 008, Kirkham KMP0928
Old 01-25-2021, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSammy View Post
Local guy here ... and the OP. No, if you want a TX title for a new ASVE you have to have the car physically inspected in TX by the ASE Certified Master Technician called for on the VTR-852 form (plus all the other forms and exhibits discussed further back in this thread).

Or if you were bringing in a Cali titled pre-owned car, it would still need a regular TX state inspection if something other than an ASVE.

Sam
I don’t see anywhere on VTR 852 that says it needs to be a Texas based ASE Certified Master Tech A1 - A8, just an ASE Certified Master Tech with A1 - A8. The other forms listed don’t specifically say they need to be completed in Texas either. I know this is a weird circumstance, and correct me if I’m missing this in my reading of the forms.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post

I'd call your state DMV office for the rules. Don't depend on the local guys for this one.
Thanks, will do.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyler View Post
I don’t see anywhere on VTR 852 that says it needs to be a Texas based ASE Certified Master Tech A1 - A8, just an ASE Certified Master Tech with A1 - A8. The other forms listed don’t specifically say they need to be completed in Texas either. I know this is a weird circumstance, and correct me if I’m missing this in my reading of the forms.

I see your point, we've never had this scenario as far as I know. Caveat: TX title clerks and the DMV reps do not have much experience with replicas. So expect variations from one office to another. Give one of the DMV centers a call. Nothing to lose there. Do get a copy of the ASE inspector certificate showing current status in each of the 8 areas.

But, if you are planning on ending up in Cali anyway, why not just submit to SB100 process and title it out there. Be easier to sell it later ...

Sam
Exes: ERA #745, CAVGT #180, Kirkham KMP0268, SPF GT40P2306, '05 Ford GT #1605, Exact 008, Kirkham KMP0928
Old 02-07-2021, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Definitely NOT ending up in California, that’s just insane to think of moving there. Cobra is being built there so it will just sit at my dad’s house for me to drive when I visit family and for the builder to show. And definitely not going to be selling it. Builder said he’d take care of SB100 so I’ll just let him do that process and then I’ll trailer it to TX at some point soon
Old 09-07-2021, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I just purchased a used 2008 Superformance from a local Plano resident. I am also in Plano. He signed over the title to me which has the following
Year Model = 2008
Make of Vehicle = ASVE
Remark(s)= Replica: (1965 COBR)

Now do I have to go through all the items listed in this thread and register and title as a custom vehicle or is that not required. I want to make sure that when the yearly inspection is due the inspection isn’t requiring emissions testing. Also on the Form 130-U what do I fill out for the Year, Make and Model?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2021, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Since it has already been titled/registered/on the road my experience says that you don’t have to go through any of that hassle. Get it inspected at a regular inspection station and bring all the paperwork to the DMV and I think you should be fine.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptybox View Post
I just purchased a used 2008 Superformance from a local Plano resident. I am also in Plano. He signed over the title to me which has the following
Year Model = 2008
Make of Vehicle = ASVE
Remark(s)= Replica: (1965 COBR)

Now do I have to go through all the items listed in this thread and register and title as a custom vehicle or is that not required. I want to make sure that when the yearly inspection is due the inspection isn’t requiring emissions testing. Also on the Form 130-U what do I fill out for the Year, Make and Model?

Thanks

You have a correct Texas 2008 ASVE title for this car as is, so your title process is simple, transfer the ownership on the 130-U.

Second thing is to *register* it as a *Custom Vehicle* which requires the VTR-852 Inspection by an ASE Master Techician current in categories A1-A8. This is a unique inspection for replica cars and is NOT the usual TX State annual inspection. You do not do the regular TX State inspection on a Custom Vehicle. It will never get inspected again as long as it has Custom Vehicle plates. This step is required every time this replica car changes owners.

So get the VTR-852 inspection done by the ASE Master. Some Firestone and Christian Brothers locations have these guys. Call first. Make them confirm the currency in A1-A8.

From here I am not sure whether it can all be done at the county tag office, or if you have to make an appointment at DMV in Carrollton. New titles have to start there, but you are not new. I'd start at Collin Cty Tax Assessor. Bring title, bill of sale, insurance card, 130-U, 852, ASE's Certificate, checkbook and see what happens. Btw, you can take your insurance card in first and get a 30 day buyer tag so you're legal to drive to the ASE guy.

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2021, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SSSammy- thank you for the reply. This is exactly the info I needed to know. I did some research after I posted and found the Texas Motor Vehicle Registration Manual. Section 21.2 of the manual provides the info. I already have my temp 30 day paper tags so already getting to enjoy the car.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FYI, I didn’t need an custom vehicle inspection for my era cobra when I registered in Texas.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think asve inspections may be for never-been-on-the-road-before road worthiness inspections. Once it has been asve inspected for the initial title, may not have to do it again. I didn’t; mine was titled as a replica in texas but was previously titled in NC (and nj and ri)
Old 09-15-2021, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF MK2 with 347 Ford and 4 Webers
Not Ranked     

I recently purchased a Factory Five MK2 from a Texas reseller the previous owner had it titled in Florida as a 1965 FFR. I was assured by the reseller they would handle everything with transferring the title to me and I could get Antique plates and would not have to deal with inspections or emissions. Now I find out that Texas found out the car was previously registered in Virginia as an Assembled Vehicle so Texas put 2006 Assembled Vehicle on the title. The car has no windshield wipers and certainly would not pass an emissions test, 347 crate engine, 4x2 Webers, Sidepipes and headers.

The broker is telling me no emissions test is required, is that true? And will I need to pass an annual safety inspection?

Thanks

Last edited by svassh; 09-15-2021 at 07:53 AM..
Old 09-15-2021, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think you would need a regular inspection which does not include an emission test. They check vin number and lights and stuff
Old 09-15-2021, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF MK2 with 347 Ford and 4 Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
I think you would need a regular inspection which does not include an emission test. They check vin number and lights and stuff
Thanks, yes it appears I will need to have a VTR-852 inspection done by an ASE Master to get the custom licnse plates.

Will they accept a clamped on mechanical wiper on the drivers side as having windshield wipers?
Old 09-16-2021, 09:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by svassh View Post
Thanks, yes it appears I will need to have a VTR-852 inspection done by an ASE Master to get the custom licnse plates.

Will they accept a clamped on mechanical wiper on the drivers side as having windshield wipers?
Yes, VTR-852 inspection is required when an ASVE title changes ownership. One time only. Not an Antique plate registration, that's for OEM cars. Replicas get a Custom Vehicle plate registration.

Many TX ASVE's have reported that the clamp on wiper is accepted by the ASE inspectors. Give it a shot!

Some essential reading for those with replica cars seeking TX title and registration:

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/assembled-vehicles

https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...cle_Manual.pdf

Sam
bwcobra15, svassh and JDLSantos like this.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSammy View Post
You have a correct Texas 2008 ASVE title for this car as is, so your title process is simple, transfer the ownership on the 130-U.

Second thing is to *register* it as a *Custom Vehicle* which requires the VTR-852 Inspection by an ASE Master Techician current in categories A1-A8. This is a unique inspection for replica cars and is NOT the usual TX State annual inspection. You do not do the regular TX State inspection on a Custom Vehicle. It will never get inspected again as long as it has Custom Vehicle plates. This step is required every time this replica car changes owners.

So get the VTR-852 inspection done by the ASE Master. Some Firestone and Christian Brothers locations have these guys. Call first. Make them confirm the currency in A1-A8.

From here I am not sure whether it can all be done at the county tag office, or if you have to make an appointment at DMV in Carrollton. New titles have to start there, but you are not new. I'd start at Collin Cty Tax Assessor. Bring title, bill of sale, insurance card, 130-U, 852, ASE's Certificate, checkbook and see what happens. Btw, you can take your insurance card in first and get a 30 day buyer tag so you're legal to drive to the ASE guy.

Good Luck!

I registered the cobra today. Frisco tax office. Followed all of the above and asked to be registered as a custom vehicle with all my paperwork including the completed VTR-852 form with the ASE’s certs. Interestingly the clerk indicated since already titled as a ASVE I didn’t actually need the VTR-852 with the certs. I asked about the manual indicating that I did and he indicated there are parts of the manual which are wrong or contradicts itself. The clerk indicated he does about 2 or 3 cobra replica registrations a year ( some like mine (used cobras), others new builds or out of state).
The clerk said the process used to be absolutely terrible with some folks being to get registered and other not. Walked out with new plates and a registration sticker. Of course all that paperwork has to get processed. I will probably be back barking in a month how this has gone terribly wrong . Just wanted to provide my experience as it may help someone else
svassh likes this.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptybox View Post
I registered the cobra today. Frisco tax office. Followed all of the above and asked to be registered as a custom vehicle with all my paperwork including the completed VTR-852 form with the ASE’s certs. Interestingly the clerk indicated since already titled as a ASVE I didn’t actually need the VTR-852 with the certs. I asked about the manual indicating that I did and he indicated there are parts of the manual which are wrong or contradicts itself. The clerk indicated he does about 2 or 3 cobra replica registrations a year ( some like mine (used cobras), others new builds or out of state).
The clerk said the process used to be absolutely terrible with some folks being to get registered and other not. Walked out with new plates and a registration sticker. Of course all that paperwork has to get processed. I will probably be back barking in a month how this has gone terribly wrong . Just wanted to provide my experience as it may help someone else
Just to be clear for the next person that needs to go through this in Texas, if you would have gotten a regular inspection at any certified inspection station, you wouldn't have needed to have any other type of inspection when you submitted your paperwork? And the regular inspection for these type of cars does not require an emissions test?