View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

I just love those - I would go with the fuel injection setup for tune-ability but it will then need changes to the fuel system. The only thing I really don't like about these systems is the lack of air filtration which on a regularly used medium mileage car could lead to excessive engine wear.

I have seen the gauze air strainers used on the trumpets to stop large objects such as road grit etc. from entering the engine but creates significant losses in breathability and hence power. Any way a 1/8"th or 1/16"th inch stone would still pass through this and wouldn't do the engine much good.

I went a similar route with my engine using a cross ram for four Webers but without the Webers but with long trumpets into two plenums with two throttle bodies and air filters. It works great but due to fitting too small a fuel pump and/or too small a suction pipe from the swirl tank to the pump it starts to run out of fuel pressure at 5000 RPM. Still have to sort that out but it makes great power up to 5000 RPM and is very driveable and cruise at 14.7:1 AF ratio and accelerates at 13:1..

I use air filters because my normal route takes me through significant sections of wind blown beach sand where the sand blows right over the car for about a hundred yards at an average of every alternate trip in summer.