View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Bill,

A couple of quick thoughts ...

When you think of the EFI route, break the equipment into two broad categories. Category 1 would be the air valves and intake manifold. As you already know, Jim Inglese is the go-to source for this stuff. Category 2 is the actual EFI controller. There are many excellent choices from the pricey $8-$10K Motec systems down through a range of alternatives that are comparably featured and considerably more economically priced.

I would recommend one that most people overlook because they don't want to take the 'Heathkit' build-it-yourself approach that the firm used for several decades, even up to today. The firm is MegaSquirt and the EFI system is available factory manufactured with a lifetime warranty today from DIYAutoTune <= clickable.

They offer what they call a Plug-n-Play version that pretty closely resembles a poor man's Motec or Haltech EFI system. It is the one I linked to above. The system comes with a base tune that will get you well on your way to a driveable vehicle and an excellent series of Youtube how-to-tune videos they and others have done that will wisk away the black art sort of reputation tuning has.

The price, including the hardware, tuning software, and data logging software, is $1500. It uses all Ford sensors out of the box and gives you the option of using any sensors your heart desires. The connector on the ECU is OEM Ford which means you can use an OEM engine wiring harness and under-dash harness to the OEM Ford ECU — and everything just plugs together!

The system supports any injectors, ignition coils, or sensors your heart desires. It also has a range of excellent 'oh by the way' features built in that you can turn on or off as you choose. Some of those features include things like multiple programmable engine fail safes, flex fuel capability, variable cam timing (if your engine choice supports it), drive by wire and a very nice a blue tooth wireless capability, to name just a few. The wireless bluetooth capability for tuning is pretty much like when we no longer needed ethernet cables to get online with our computers.

Extremely complete EFI, very nice options, OEM wiring harness compatible, stunningly easy install, first start and follow on programming. BTW it supports all three fueling models Alpha-N, Speed Density and MAF (mass air flow) based. For the eight-stack Weber look-a-like air valves, you will want to use the Speed Density, which is also the format the base tune comes set up for.

Check them out, I think you'll like what you see.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 07-02-2022 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar