Old 07-08-2022, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Joel,

Although you have not indicated the brand or fueling model (Alpha-N, Speed Density, MAF), my guess is Speed Density is what you are using. Fueling model notwithstanding changes in engine displacement, minimally need to be programmed into the EFI setup parameters because EFI systems, when everything is said and done, mix fuel with air in proportions you specify for an engine displacement you specify.

Some systems like the MAF-based variety make the process less time-intensive, but all will require some intervention. Speed Density systems will require the most intervention because although you inform the ECU logic of the new displacement, the engine's volumetric efficiency will change. A larger displacement engine fed by the same heads and intake will be more throttled (lower volumetric efficiency) than a smaller displacement engine with the same heads and intake.

The upshot is that the fueling Ve table(s) will necessarily be different and require a retune. The old tune for the 302, while adequate to start the engine, will be unsuitable to operate the vehicle safely (from an engine's perspective). It is time for another visit to your tuner's dyno.

p.s. I seem to remember your engine is carbureted and not injected. If that is the case then you need a retune for sure — carbs and speed density systems perform similarly to changes in displacement and Ve. If you are considering an EFI conversion for a carbureted engine that you are going to increase dispacement on, then only spend the tune dollars once. Pick your EFI system and take the rebuilt engine and car to your preferred tuner for the tune, don't spend the money twice.

The engine is fuel injected using a Ford EEC IV computer. It uses a MAF and has 24 lb injectors. I don't recall the throttle body or MAF size but they were considered large back in 1994 but are small by today's standards. All the EFI components (except for the ECM tune add-on) on the engine were supplied by Ford Motorsports in a "EFI package" purchased in 1994. The intake manifold is an Edelbrock Performer RPM of '90s vintage. So all components are old by EFI technology standards but I'd say they are time tested given the EFI has worked fine for 50,000 miles of driving the car.