Thread: Engine removal
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 05:17 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy427 View Post
For those of you that have pulled an FE out of an ERA, once the Tremec is pulled back, can the engine be lifted out with the bellhousing still bolted on? Or does the bellhousing have to also be removed first to pull the engine? I’d appreciate member’s experience here with how you have done it. Thanks in advance.
Are you planning to use just an engine hoist, or an engine hoist with a hoist leveler attached?

using just a hoist, it can be done with the bellhousing attached, but will be tight and require a few friends to assist

If using a hoist leveler attached to the engine hoist itself, it can easily be done with the bellhousing left on the engine with little to no additional assistance needed. Although I almost always had an additional set of hands to assist in the mindset of "better safe than sorry" after hearing of someone who's less expensive engine hoist tilted and the FE fell on the nose of the car (I was the shop to make the repairs).

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS