Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bkozlow
  • 2 Post By 6TNCRZY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2022, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 FE Shelby aluminum block, dual quads on Dove high rise, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     
Default Engine removal

For those of you that have pulled an FE out of an ERA, once the Tremec is pulled back, can the engine be lifted out with the bellhousing still bolted on? Or does the bellhousing have to also be removed first to pull the engine? I’d appreciate member’s experience here with how you have done it. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:17 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy427 View Post
For those of you that have pulled an FE out of an ERA, once the Tremec is pulled back, can the engine be lifted out with the bellhousing still bolted on? Or does the bellhousing have to also be removed first to pull the engine? I’d appreciate member’s experience here with how you have done it. Thanks in advance.
Are you planning to use just an engine hoist, or an engine hoist with a hoist leveler attached?

using just a hoist, it can be done with the bellhousing attached, but will be tight and require a few friends to assist

If using a hoist leveler attached to the engine hoist itself, it can easily be done with the bellhousing left on the engine with little to no additional assistance needed. Although I almost always had an additional set of hands to assist in the mindset of "better safe than sorry" after hearing of someone who's less expensive engine hoist tilted and the FE fell on the nose of the car (I was the shop to make the repairs).

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-25-2022, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I’m not entirely sure. When I dropped mine in I had the pressure plate/ flywheel bolted in place but left the bell housing off. Especially if you have one of the big, bulky Lakewood explosion proof bell housing I would pull it just to lessen the chance of dragging it against something in removal, although the type of bell housing doesn’t affect overall length any.

Related to Bill’s response I did not have any help so I was conservative.

Last edited by DanEC; 09-25-2022 at 05:38 AM..
Old 09-25-2022, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 FE Shelby aluminum block, dual quads on Dove high rise, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     
Default Engine removal

Thanks for the reply. I have a portable cherry picker and also one of the adjustable engine tilter‘s so I can crank the handle and tilt the engine. Sounds like if I tilt the engine with the bell housing down enough I should be able to clear and install with the bell housing on. Does that sound right? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

I'd pull the tranny, lower the car to the floor, raise the engine slowly and roll the car out from under the engine.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This may not be for everyone but I like raising the front of the car 12-18 inches after blocking the rear wheels, assuming you are removing the hood. You can now tilt the engine pull it out near vertically. Another, thing I would do if your transmission has been working fine is weld a washer at each indexing pin to the bell-housing so you don't have to re-index it when reinstalling it.

Bill K
Morris likes this.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

There was a bunch of guys back in the 60's, not too far from LAX, who did a lot of Cobras with the transmission already installed on the engine.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 09-29-2022 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Fixed broken pic link
Old 09-25-2022, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As above in the Shelby shop, on my Contemporary CCX 3 Series, that’s how I pulled my 427 FE with Nash/Richmond 5 Speed attached in one unit . I do have the optional removable trans cross member though. Not sure you could do it otherwise?

Last edited by Lulworth; 09-25-2022 at 10:48 AM..
Old 09-25-2022, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

You’ll need to see if you have enough boom length and capacity to reach the engine position from the front - or have to go in from the side - in determining your approach. With the hoist I had available, I had to go in from the side which meant pulling the right, front wheel. An engine tilted did help me though.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I pulled the FE from 755 with the bell removed. It looks like it might have cleared with the bell on, but why risk scratching something?

John
Old 09-25-2022, 04:48 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Yeah, yeah, yeah but I'm the only one that posts a pic to prove it. So here you go, straight in, bellhousing on, and to prove it here's a pic of a friend's ERA having it dropped in with a Kubota.

Last edited by patrickt; 09-25-2022 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-25-2022, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     

I went the same route as DanEC and will elaborate further. If your cherry picker is a 1 ton unit, you probably will not be able to position the picker in front of your car to remove/install the engine. If your picker has a long enough boom to go in from the front of the car without overloading it, it’s easier from the front. I wasn’t able to go in from the front with my 1 ton picker without fully extending the boom and then I was on the precipice of it toppling without counter-balancing the picker, not a recipe for success. I retracted the boom to the ½ ton location and positioned the picker on the driver side facing the engine bay. The front of my ERA was on jack stands with the rear wheels chocked front and back, e-brake on and left front wheel removed to allow clearance for the picker. If you go in from the front you may need to raise the front of the car a little to keep the picker from hanging up on obstacles under the car. I didn’t have any issues with the transmission removed and bell housing installed on the engine, I did use a leveling unit between the picker and engine. If you raise the front of the car and secure it with jack stands, be careful where and how you position them, it’s easy to push the vehicle off the jack stands, especially after the weight of the engine is being supported by the picker. Realize that if you do position the picker at the side of the engine bay, you have little or no front to back movement like you do when you go in from the front of the vehicle. When positioning the picker on the side of the vehicle, it must be more or less over the center of mass of the engine with the leveler centered, then use the leveler to drop the back of the engine to gain the clearance needed to then lift the engine with the picker. It takes a little back and forth with the cherry picker and leveler to keep the engine going in the right direction so it doesn’t slam into something you’d rather it didn’t. I did it with the cherry picker facing the engine bay from the side of the vehicle without any help and had no problems, now I’m not saying it’s the best way, it’s just my way, good luck with whatever path you choose.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah but I'm the only one that posts a pic to prove it. So here you go, straight in, bellhousing on, and to prove it here's a pic of a friend's ERA having it dropped in with a Kubota.

Is that Kubota SFI approved.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Engine removal

Thanks for all the great advice. Nice to have options for pulling the engine, front or side. Will see what works best for me with my portable cherry picker.
Impressed with the use of that front loader!
Old 09-27-2022, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

Much easier with the bell housing removed, and not that hard to bolt up after engine is in place. Why make it harder than you have to?
twobjshelbys and DanEC like this.