View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I finally got the old brain working, (lots of rusty gear noise and smoke out the ears,) and remember the story of the Vin plate. Carroll did have some Vin plates made up in 64, to impress the FIA guys, it didn't work, they wanted actual cars and told both Enzo and Carroll what they could do with their imaginary cars! So what happened to the plates, they were put on to big block cars as they arrived from AC, it's that simple! How many plates were made, no one seems to know? For sure, the first couple of race cars and probably all the S/C cars had them, I doubt there were the required 100, but who knows, all that maters to this thread is, all of the plates were long gone by the time the above cars were built, so those Vin numbers were as phony as the frames! As for the photo below, that was in Automobile Quarterly, 1976, Now And Forever The Cobra Story. Not a very good article, but great photos! The photo below shows the difference between the 60s built Cobra's and the cars above. That is a genuine Daytona, notice the California license plate on the tail, that's because all the Daytona's had CSX 2000, range Vin numbers! Cheers, Dennis