Thread: Backdraft value
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2022, 11:42 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojack70 View Post
Sure, I have a backdraft, but I could care less about keeping values up because I don't intend to sell mine. Looking at the market, prices are up significantly for Backdraft and Superformance. Check out Johnathanmotorcars.com and their inventory of both. The Superformance are well over $100k which is crazy, and Backdraft around $80k plus. If you think what it costs to build a new Backdraft, your looking at about $54k for the RT4B base roadster, minus motor and trans. Add another $25k for motor, trans and other random parts/upgrades and your over $80k.
Your mindset is slightly flawed, yes, a retail dealer can and will ask far above what he plans to sell the car for, case in point, Hillbank in California has an ERA 289 FIA priced at $164,900 (give or take a grand), vs a SPF 289 FIA for $124,900.

As for the market for a used, low mileage Backdraft right now, I see prices anywhere from $48,000-$99,000, these are with mileage below 10,000. Drivetrains installed are all over the place, but there are more Backdraft cobras for sale on the used market here in the states than any other brand. Supply and demand plays a factor, then you add in the brand new Backdrafts still be produced and sold via the dealer network, again vs a private party sale, add on top of this the time on market for one car vs another, and what has actually sold in the past 6 months, and you come up with a softening market for the brand as a whole.

Just my neutral two cents worth, as I am neither a buyer, nor a seller at this time.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS