Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Kojack70
  • 1 Post By SBSerpent
  • 2 Post By patrickt
  • 2 Post By mrmustang
  • 1 Post By twobjshelbys

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2022, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1115
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft value

I have an RT3 Backdraft #1115 I am going to put up for sale in the near future, this was a VMS build in 2012 to original owner in Auburn California, traded back to VMS in 2021, serviced at that time and then sold to 2nd owner in San Diego who I purchased from.

Car looks excellent cosmetically inside and out, a little scraping under very low front (can't see unless laying on the groud) but otherwise the paint looks fantastic, interior looks fantastic, engine bay looks fantastic and underside looks fantastic.

I thought the carb needed a little adjusting and felt the car to load up a bit at idle, I changed plugs, rotor and cap and had someone do a small carb adjustment (leaned out air mixture screws a half turn)... engine runs and sounds great though I still feel it runs a touch rich be mechanics says not really.

This is the polished VMS 427 SB, all guages work perfect and car runs surprisingly cool... there doesn't appear to be any neglect with this car, I was amazed how clean it is for a 2012 build, underside/suspension is quite immaculate

I still have what I would call a small front end low speed shake if I hit a bump or something. The front suspension looks like new, absolutely zero wear or play in anything, took the wheels off and sent them in for a road force balance and wheel shop said they balanced out excellent, tires are new and wheels have no nicks anywhere.

Car does run out well around town and great on the freeway. (I tried to load a running walk around but wouldn't load)

This is only my second cobra and only put a few hundred miles so I'm not a cobra expert but this car does show well in my opinion

Salsa red with single silver stripe and black outlines, black interior with red stitching... I have both steering wheels and a tonneau cover.

I purchased in a divorce sale, I actually paid off over $56k to a bank to get the car, an additional $4k to the owner, I have no real receipt past on the car other than what I found online through the forums with original owner Jeff (Cartman) on this site and talking with VMS... Jay said only one of two Backdrafts ordered with single stripe package.

I was going to advertise at $59,900.... is that in the right price range, too low? too high?

I feel it's a great price as one of the lowest priced Backdrafts out there and a beautiful car... kept it a little low as I feel an alignment may be in order, looks a little negative cambered and a touch toe out but it does run down the freeway perfectly straight... no play in the steering at all no wander or pull.

Just looking for a little feedback on asking price.

Haven't pulled the trigger on the sale yet... I have an opportunity to purchase a very nice 1960 corvette from a friend/co-worker for under $50 is why I'm selling, wasn't ready for an "old corvette" purchase but this deal will never come around again.

Also has California SB100

I will try again to load a few photos but I rarely can upload pics without the site saying "failed" even one at a time

Last edited by Robertk; 09-11-2022 at 02:54 PM..
Old 09-11-2022, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Name:  20220826_165843.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  96.0 KB[attach]Name:  20220826_165903.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  96.7 KB[/attach]
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2022, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     

What is the mileage on the car? Regardless, it looks like a low mileage specimen based on the photos.

This car is CLEAN and with a SB 427 to boot! The icing on the cake is the SB100, which is like the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket for any potential CA buyers. That sticker alone is worth an additional ~5K (minimum) to interested CA buyers.

I find your asking price to be too low (from a seller's perspective). From a buyer's perspective, I would jump all over this price and then negotiate down somewhat (never hurts to try).

I would suggest some homework on your end to gain a better appreciation for what the asking prince should be.

First, go to Cobra Country and look at some of the Backdrafts that are currently listed on the website. You should have some good comps to look at.

Second, go on Bring a Trailer (the car auction website) and do a search for previously sold BDRs. You'll find some good historical date of recent sales. That too should provide some good guidance. You may also want to consider selling your BDR on that website. The buying community is worldwide and all you need is two interested parties that like your car and get into a bidding war. Honestly, I find that website a seller's paradise. I personally would never buy a car on that website simply because the exposure is worldwide and, like I said, all you need is two to tango and the price starts going through the roof.

Good luck. You won't need much luck selling that beauty.

BTW, I remember when you picked this car up earlier this year. Short period of ownership for you.

Last edited by SBSerpent; 09-11-2022 at 04:10 PM..
Old 09-11-2022, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSerpent View Post
What is the mileage on the car? Regardless, it looks like a low mileage specimen based on the photos.

This car is CLEAN and with a SB 427 to boot! The icing on the cake is the SB100, which is like the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket for any potential CA buyers. That sticker alone is worth an additional ~5K (minimum) to interested CA buyers.

I find your asking price to be too low (from a seller's perspective). From a buyer's perspective, I would jump all over this price and then negotiate down somewhat (never hurts to try).

I would suggest some homework on your end to gain a better appreciation for what the asking prince should be.

First, go to Cobra Country and look at some of the Backdrafts that are currently listed on the website. You should have some good comps to look at.

Second, go on Bring a Trailer (the car auction website) and do a search for previously sold BDRs. You'll find some good historical date of recent sales. That too should provide some good guidance. You may also want to consider selling your BDR on that website. The buying community is worldwide and all you need is two interested parties that like your car and get into a bidding war. Honestly, I find that website a seller's paradise. I personally would never buy a car on that website simply because the exposure is worldwide and, like I said, all you need is two to tango and the price starts going through the roof.

Good luck. You won't need much luck selling that beauty.

BTW, I remember when you picked this car up earlier this year. Short period of ownership for you.
Thanks and some good advice, I have been on Cobra Country but thought most posts were older posts... BAT would be a good idea.
The short ownership is really because of a C1 opportunity, my friend with the Vette lives in Washington so getting pics and vids tomorrow but I know the car a little.
And the car has just under 6k miles, thank you
Old 09-11-2022, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And the front end shimmy is par for the course on these cars. I've gone through the front end with a fine tooth comb and found nothing wrong with the suspension on my BDR. I've also had the front wheels road force balanced to no avail. Maybe it's something inherent with the BMW front suspension. Who knows. Unless you have had camber plates installed, there is no camber adjustment on these cars. The only adjustment is toe if it is a stock suspension set up.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again, it actually got much better after the road force balance and it doesn't come through the steering... i might be a little critical, I am going to be out in it for a good ride tomorrow with a day off and in town.

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft - Roush S/B 427
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't go below $65k. The prices have shot up quite a bit.
hauss likes this.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

An older build with the same color and a 351W just sold on BaT for 65k

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/ba...cing-roadster/
Kojack70 likes this.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

I really think you should check BAT for a realistic price, I mean no disrespect but everyone that’s telling you it’s too cheap has a Backdraft, and just perhaps they would like to keep the price up.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft - Roush S/B 427
Not Ranked     

Sure, I have a backdraft, but I could care less about keeping values up because I don't intend to sell mine. Looking at the market, prices are up significantly for Backdraft and Superformance. Check out Johnathanmotorcars.com and their inventory of both. The Superformance are well over $100k which is crazy, and Backdraft around $80k plus. If you think what it costs to build a new Backdraft, your looking at about $54k for the RT4B base roadster, minus motor and trans. Add another $25k for motor, trans and other random parts/upgrades and your over $80k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Barnwood View Post
I really think you should check BAT for a realistic price, I mean no disrespect but everyone that’s telling you it’s too cheap has a Backdraft, and just perhaps they would like to keep the price up.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:42 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojack70 View Post
Sure, I have a backdraft, but I could care less about keeping values up because I don't intend to sell mine. Looking at the market, prices are up significantly for Backdraft and Superformance. Check out Johnathanmotorcars.com and their inventory of both. The Superformance are well over $100k which is crazy, and Backdraft around $80k plus. If you think what it costs to build a new Backdraft, your looking at about $54k for the RT4B base roadster, minus motor and trans. Add another $25k for motor, trans and other random parts/upgrades and your over $80k.
Your mindset is slightly flawed, yes, a retail dealer can and will ask far above what he plans to sell the car for, case in point, Hillbank in California has an ERA 289 FIA priced at $164,900 (give or take a grand), vs a SPF 289 FIA for $124,900.

As for the market for a used, low mileage Backdraft right now, I see prices anywhere from $48,000-$99,000, these are with mileage below 10,000. Drivetrains installed are all over the place, but there are more Backdraft cobras for sale on the used market here in the states than any other brand. Supply and demand plays a factor, then you add in the brand new Backdrafts still be produced and sold via the dealer network, again vs a private party sale, add on top of this the time on market for one car vs another, and what has actually sold in the past 6 months, and you come up with a softening market for the brand as a whole.

Just my neutral two cents worth, as I am neither a buyer, nor a seller at this time.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-20-2022, 12:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Supply and demand plays a factor, then you add in the brand ..., add on top of this the time..., and what has actually sold..., and you come up with .....
OK, so it sounds like the market is either going up, going down, or staying about the same.
HTM101 and Kojack70 like this.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:40 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
OK, so it sounds like the market is either going up, going down, or staying about the same.
Despite the world market (not just cars), Cobra prices are hit and miss, color combination seems to be a deciding factor right now vs a 300hp, or 647hp powered car. Automatics still take a 30% hit, as do wild color combinations like Purple with orange stripes (California back in April on craiglist, unsure of the brand) and grey leather interior. Backdraft in particular seem to change hands quicker than most others,both low mileage, under 1 solid year of ownership, as well as the secondary market, and at prices less than what is advertised for a like and kind model (color, HP, etc). Again, as an owner looking to sell, you can ask whatever you want for your car, that does not mean you will find a buyer if a similar car is available at 20K less. Same goes for how motivated a seller is, the more motivation, the more of a haircut they are willing to take on a car they have owned for a short time period.

Hope this helps to clarify my post #11 that you responded to.

Bill S.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well for what it's worth, Bill, if I were to ever sell a Cobra, which I never plan to do, I would look to you to tell me what it was worth.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:39 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well for what it's worth, Bill, if I were to ever sell a Cobra, which I never plan to do, I would look to you to tell me what it was worth.
Minus 10% for dual rollbars
Beige will add 4-6 months to your projected sales plan

Bill S.
1795 and D_ranged like this.

Old 10-20-2022, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

In the Cobra space, most experienced owners would consider low miles to be a negative. And not just for the decades old garage queens (if there are any such Cobras) but because a Cobra that hasn't been "broken in" is a nightmare for the non-tinkerer unless you happen to live next door the place that did the final assembly. And a low miles kit is even more suspect.
mrmustang likes this.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:01 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Hey, hey Bill, watch what you say about dual roll bars, now that I own one with those, they have become that much COOLER Just haven't pulled the trigger on the Beige paint yet
Old 10-21-2022, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertk View Post
I have an RT3 Backdraft #1115 I am going to put up for sale in the near future, this was a VMS build in 2012 to original owner in Auburn California, traded back to VMS in 2021, serviced at that time and then sold to 2nd owner in San Diego who I purchased from.

Car looks excellent cosmetically inside and out, a little scraping under very low front (can't see unless laying on the groud) but otherwise the paint looks fantastic, interior looks fantastic, engine bay looks fantastic and underside looks fantastic.

I thought the carb needed a little adjusting and felt the car to load up a bit at idle, I changed plugs, rotor and cap and had someone do a small carb adjustment (leaned out air mixture screws a half turn)... engine runs and sounds great though I still feel it runs a touch rich be mechanics says not really.

This is the polished VMS 427 SB, all guages work perfect and car runs surprisingly cool... there doesn't appear to be any neglect with this car, I was amazed how clean it is for a 2012 build, underside/suspension is quite immaculate

I still have what I would call a small front end low speed shake if I hit a bump or something. The front suspension looks like new, absolutely zero wear or play in anything, took the wheels off and sent them in for a road force balance and wheel shop said they balanced out excellent, tires are new and wheels have no nicks anywhere.

Car does run out well around town and great on the freeway. (I tried to load a running walk around but wouldn't load)

This is only my second cobra and only put a few hundred miles so I'm not a cobra expert but this car does show well in my opinion

Salsa red with single silver stripe and black outlines, black interior with red stitching... I have both steering wheels and a tonneau cover.

I purchased in a divorce sale, I actually paid off over $56k to a bank to get the car, an additional $4k to the owner, I have no real receipt past on the car other than what I found online through the forums with original owner Jeff (Cartman) on this site and talking with VMS... Jay said only one of two Backdrafts ordered with single stripe package.

I was going to advertise at $59,900.... is that in the right price range, too low? too high?

I feel it's a great price as one of the lowest priced Backdrafts out there and a beautiful car... kept it a little low as I feel an alignment may be in order, looks a little negative cambered and a touch toe out but it does run down the freeway perfectly straight... no play in the steering at all no wander or pull.

Just looking for a little feedback on asking price.

Haven't pulled the trigger on the sale yet... I have an opportunity to purchase a very nice 1960 corvette from a friend/co-worker for under $50 is why I'm selling, wasn't ready for an "old corvette" purchase but this deal will never come around again.

Also has California SB100

I will try again to load a few photos but I rarely can upload pics without the site saying "failed" even one at a time
I would say 69 K. AS far as the shake goes, its the tires. We have light cars with sticky tires, they want to grab everything. That is why they shake. New tires will do it less or, at least that is what I found out about the nitto nt05s good luck to you. If you want a blue with white strips 2013 9000 miles 427 stroker I am leting her go for 69k.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Backdraft values on BAT are dropping, then again so are ERA and Superformance. It's becoming more common for the BDRs to not make reserve.
In the past few years BDRs have become more of a Boutique car. Blackout, Color coordinating engine accents, Spinners, 90s style Riceboy decals with Vendor names, and Bling bling galore.
I'm not faulting the builders for making a product that sells. But the market is really, really saturated with used BDRs. Mostly because most owners (I'd guess @ 90+%) unload them before two years. Most times a few months.
I also feel the market for Cobras has shifted from the Standard "Replica" to something more personalized for the younger crowd.
Superformance has tried this route as well but to be honest, the tacked on spoilers and 4X4 ground clearance makes the the wtf comment slip out. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...obra-mark-111/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: