View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

If you plan on actually driving the car and not having a garage queen, I would opt for the additional clear coat, and here’s why.
If you regularly drive the car, every tiny piece of dirt that hits the front end or front edge of the rear fenders will make a small pit/chip in the paint. Owners choose to call it patina. Many owners apply clear coverings to protect these exposed areas.
In my personal experience, after 12,000 miles of paved road driving, the front of my car looked like it had been shot by a shotgun. Lots of small chips and patina on the front and rear fenders. And I drive in Southern California and never in the rain or dirt roads.
Fast forward, after a repaint including heavier coats of clear, I now have an additional 25,000 miles on the car and not a single chip or pit anywhere on the car. Paint looks like brand new.
So, based on my experience, I would definitely recommend additional clear coat protection if you want the most durable paint possible.