Old 03-06-2003, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     

Jim,

Jim, et al, any one doing a 289 ERA,

The color is 99? 98? Ford Explorer.

The wheels are brass/gold? powder coat by Phil at PSE, he can do most any color you want, or polish, or whatever. He knows the color on my wheels...ask him.

The electric fuel pump evolved from thinking I didn't have time to build my own engine...I got royally screwed by a prominent LA, CA "302 stroker" parts supplier/ engine builder, ended up with all his off-the-shelf late 302 Mustang bolt ons, pan, late model 302 front cover, regardless of my request for vintage Cobra, but I was not an informed buyer at that point...this is a story in itself. Upon total disassembly of the engine before running, it was a complete case of incompetence and fraud...e-mail me for the whole story.

When I figure out how/where to present it, I would love to document the crime committed by those slime balls.

Anyway, I have an inertia switch from Pegasus racing supply, (any cheap stock unit would work but they don't come with the male plug!!!), it is under the dash on the steel structure, left side of the foot box, to shut off the electric Holley pump in the event of collision. I am considering adding a oil pressure sensor that disconects the pump automatically when you shut down the engine or the oil pressure goes to zero.

Any one out there run one of those elctric pump shut offs? Ideas?

There is no reason for 90% of us to run an electric pump that I am aware of, it just happened for me. ouch.

So...THEEEEN, after I got rid of the wrong, double sump Fox body Mustang pan, (hey I knew Corvettes, not Ford at the time!) I got an Aviad pan...BUT... the Aviad has no dipstick...so now I had to remove the WRONG fuel injection front cover provided by the creep to add an early front cover with dipstick.

So now, I have a front cover from a early 70's Maverick 302 with dip stick and...BOSS FOR THE MECHANICAL PUMP... but the electric pump, and stainless Earls hose was already set up.

Arghhhh!!!! several hundred dollars of pump, hose, fittings later.

On a more pleasant note, Doug at ERA suggested to put the MSD 6al on the firewall steel loop above the passsengers foot box....I have a competition dash with no glove box...tons of room...which dash will you have?

I made an 1/8"? aluminum plate that I bolted to the passenger side cowl loop with three large "threadserts" , then bolted the MSD rubber feet to the plate.

Keep in mind you need room to run/connect the tach signal wire to the right side of the box, and you have to clear the upper cowl so the MSD can oscillate freely on its "little rubber feet"...I almost had to booger the holes as it was nearly rubbing the inner cowl.

I drilled a hole in the firewall and added a grommet, it was close, to the right of the solenoid, to run the two MSD power lines and the coil wires. The ground went out the grommet for the speedo.

If you have a street 289 dash, I dunno, but to the extent its the same as the 427, the MSD can go on the right side of the glove box shell, or in the glove box...but I would hate to lose any storage space.

A friend of mine just got an ERA 427, he is hanging it on the right outside of glove box, tight but works...AND he still has the glove box...for gloves.

I will post a picture, but I know its too large a file at 600 bits or so. If it won't take here, I will send it to your e-mail.

Any questions, I may have pictures of a lot of what I did, albeit in high resolution files.

I think all of us have a few good ideas when we are done with the car...or things we wish we had known ahead of time.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027