Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2002, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     
Default Roach Wagon

Oh great, list price for the Cobra AND the "green apple quickstep"...thanks for the warning. I'll try to get the recipe, but I may need a Minox and sodium amitol.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

NeedAntiVenom,
Thanks, That is good news!
Old 12-11-2002, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Several cars crashed during qualifying at the mid-America meet....the 66 GT-350 on the first lap....after a restart and "2" warm up laps due to the wet track...the #75 car lost the motor.....several laps later the yellow car crashed at the "tech shack turn and took the nose off.
For the race the next day I started 4th (?) and finished 2nd behind the #11 Cobra....not bad considering he was running slicks and I ...vintage blue steak bannana peals.

Bottom line...both of the ERA cars will do a great job...Had a 427 for about 8 years....raced it a lot. Had the 289 (ERA-P203) for about 4 years. I prefer the 289 due to less motor maintence required. I raced about 12 weekends this year...set the valves once.....changed the oil once....thats it. Did leak down at the end of the season...everything still perfect...checked bearing...good to go. The 427 required more "replacement" of worn or broken parts. The 427 looks "meaner"...so it just comes down to what you want as an individual at the time.

MF
Old 12-11-2002, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Murt:

"Had the 289 (ERA-P203) for about 4 years." What do you mean "had". Don't tell me you've sent it down the road? What can replace that?

Morty
Old 12-11-2002, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No...Nooo...No..."had"...as in up to now....

But....6S1370 is nearing compleation in Walt Hane's shop...full vintage race....

Need a sponser.....
Old 12-11-2002, 04:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hi Jim,

Here is a High Tech FIA that is for sale on Cobra Coutry, spot on to original including the transverse leaf spring front and rear, round tube chassis etc. .

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...Tech/home.html

An Unique but these cars have the same coil over front and rears that you find on their 427 chassis with the square tube frame.

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...-taylor-tn.jpg

An ERA FIA car with round tube chassis and the coilover suspension that you find under their 427 cars.

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...irianni-pa.jpg

$32,000 -$ 54,000 complete cars but, you need to do the home work to see if they are the car for you. A good starting point for comparison

Tony R.

Last edited by Tony Ripepi; 12-12-2002 at 11:24 AM..
Old 12-11-2002, 06:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re:

Hey Tony,

FYI... the link you provided to the Unique is pointing to the Hi-Tec.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Thanks Duane,

Fixed it....Got confused in the Cutting /Pasting etc.

All of these cars are listed at : http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sl.html

And a bunch more 427's we all know that the guy who builds or has the car built never gets what they have in the car in the resale market. There are some great bargains listed in Cobra country and in the Classified section of Club Cobra.

Tony R.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

.....and the guy who buys a car second hand rarely gets everything he wanted.

It's something we have to weigh out in the begining.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Tony:

""the guy who builds or has the car built never gets what they have in the car in the resale market."

My experience has been different, but then I have not counted the value of my time in the three previous ERAs that I have built, enjoyed and then sold. My time was therapy and thus cheap indeed (as opposed to all the other "therapies", legal and otherwise, that are out there.) In the end I didn't make much, but then I haven't gotten hurt financially either and as Mr. Pirate points out, the strategy of buying new means I did each one my way. ...and then I did another.

So, ya pays yer money and ya take yer choice.

Morty

Last edited by Jim Holden; 12-12-2002 at 06:47 PM..
Old 12-13-2002, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Need:

I too have gotten permision to order an ERA 289. I am in southeastern PA, near Trenton, NJ. I will be taking a drive to ERA sometime this winter, Jan or Feb, depending on the weather. I will try to contact you when I am going up and maybe we make it a joint venture, may be get a double lunch or a discount on the cost of 2 FIA's, Maybe we can get Toungepirate to join in and get a 3fer. Let me know how you make out with your order. I have followed ERA for almost 20 years, been to the factory once in the early 80's and I have not had the backing I have now to take on the project, wife and friends to help. Look foward to making the long trip to completion of a project that has been a long time coming.

Corky
Old 12-13-2002, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That would be great. I'm still pondering the Idea of a visit. I should be able to put my order in early next month, if not sooner. As soon as I do I will need to form a gameplan then knowing the time frame I have to pull the rest of the funds together. For me the visit is not so much a must as it would be a pleasure. I have seen the product in kit & finished form. I have also heard the testimonials. With all of this I don't see how a person could make a regretable decision by going with ERA. Compared to the competition the choice was easy. The wait on the other hand (2.5 yrs. and counting) that is another story. But as they say all good things come to those who wait!
Old 02-03-2003, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA BOSS 302 Richmond 5 spd
Send a message via AIM to FIA#9
Not Ranked     
Default ERA FIA

Jim, If you still check this thread---where are you in Northeast PA? I'm in the Binghamton, NY. My FIA is the 9Th one. For now it has a fairly stock Boss 302 and a Richmond 5 speed which gets the motor spooled up nicely. I think that it is representative of ERA and you are welcome to look me up for a ride it it. It depends on your preferences, but I would argue against such modest HP. I'm contemplating a 500HP stroker motor right now, even though the Boss motor really moves it along. ERA cars are VERY competent, you won't get into trouble, and doubt you would regreat it.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     

I built ERA 289 FIA # 2027.

It has about 1900 miles since it was roadable October 2002, (California, of course)

I just finished my second open track event, the Pantera Club at Willow Springs Raceway this weekend, 3/2 and 3/3.

YaaahWOWZAAAA !!!!

The car was flawless. (wish my driving was!)

If a Holley 750 center hung, double pumper worked out of the box, ( stumbled incessantly in corners)... if the damn clutch didn't slip like a banana peel.. I would have...wrecked the car...!

All the "power down anomalies" made me be smooth and probably saved my ignorant butt from off road action action.

Do NOT get over-confident in a short wheel base, high torque CAR, EVER !

The in house paint by ERA's Tony, plus 5 year old, still staight body got raves from many guys, mainly old Shelby CLub types.

On the whole, I have had no problems of consequence with ERA.

The car is cowl shake free, very solid and straight.

I am running Hoosiers, NOT recommended by me, too harsh and over the top, with SPAX shocks, pin drives, etc.

It took me 7 runs to get the tires up to temp...finally the last run on Sunday, the tires where hot at the end of the session and "smearing" across the tread.

I also got two wheels off exiting turn 9 that run...!

If you are serious track person, go top loader, not TREMEC, the TREMEC shifter is WAAYYY to far back...I made a plate that moved the shifter forward about 1.25, but you need about 3 inches.

However, on the street, REAL WORLD, 5th gear is HEAVEN on the freeway.

Go with street radials unless you are a REAL track guy/racer, and then, you wouldn't want ignorant opinions anyway!

Have fun everyone, all the cars can be fun.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 03-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     

Pete,
It's not only fun and expensive but highly addictive!!

Cheers, Pete
Old 03-05-2003, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the feedback, Pete!

I wasn't planning to do any track work, at least not without driving school training and some substantial seat time.

Went with a 325 HP, 302, Dart iron heads, and a 650 CFM holley ala Joe Lapine.

For drivetrain, its a Tremec TKO, Lakewood bellhousing and a 3.54 posi. For wheels and tires I went with 17" PSE bolt-ons, Michelin Pilot Sports 245/40YR17 fronts and 285/40YR17 rears - just didn't like the tire choices for 15".

Tony is doing my paint as well, no stripes or meatballs, in this color. Interior will probably be a beige leather.

I'm a basket case - memorized the gear ratios, already planning shift points and turn in/out points on local roads. It's all I think about. Maybe I should call and bug Peter again...
Attached Images

Last edited by NeedAntiVenom; 03-05-2003 at 06:32 AM..
Old 03-05-2003, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Needs 289

Jim? Anti-Venom,

I think the 3:55 works well with the Tremec and a small block.

You have checked the tables, @70 in 5th about 2100 rpm, almost quiet...70 in 4th...3000 RPM, lots of sound...ouch, hard to ignore with side pipes.

I always wear foam ear plugs. Period.

I have cam with 222/228 with 112 overlap on a roller, the idle is a little rough, but as a 347 with longer stroke it pulls well at low speed...important in traffic...here in LA hour long stretches at 10 mph, rowing from 1st to 2nd and back are normal.

In traffic, hot day, have never seen more than 190 on a calibrated SW gauge...( it was in the high 80's back in January!)...oil doesn't even register half the time...I have finally taped over the cooler as the temp is too low.

My 289 stroker has 347 inches and pulls ok in 5th at 2100 on the road straight and level, so once again glad I don't get more cam.

The car is light, I don't need lots of horsepower, at least not yet, especially if it's for the street.

Even if you are a seasoned driver, (amazing how many folks are very sharp when you get to the track!)... you can use lots of power...but in traffic, it has to have reasonable pull off idle or you will soon not be having fun.

There are pictures of my car #2027 at the ERA site under "new additions" customer car pictures. If you like deep red, marron, that is it.

Would be glad to post pictures of engine/hose/wiring/electric fuel pump, etc. stuff if it helps you to visualize it during construction, I suppose all the cars are a little different when we finally finish.

Just discovered my files are too large to post, don't have compression software...will have to work on that.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 03-06-2003, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pete,

Checked out the photos! Beautiful - great color and the gold anodized rims are perfect. Did PSE do the anodizing or someone else?

What is the color? The one I posted (being painted now) is Cheviot Red. No I'm NOT a french collaborator, the Cheviot Hills are in northern England near the border of Scotland and have deep red sandstone formations.

Used with a 214 degree cam - can always juice it up later once I get some seat time.

I did go with an under car exhaust - didn't want to be selfish. This way the vettes have something to listen to also.

Why an electric pump? I heard cautions about including cutoffs in the event of a crash so I didn't consider it.

Is there a good unobtrusive place in the passenger footbox for an MSD6AL? I also considered placing the ignition unit inside the engine compartment in a housing with a small muffin fan drawing cold air from passenger duct that runs near the footbox. The Crane unit looks nice too, but I'll follow Joe's recommendation.

Plenty of help will be needed once I begin putting it together. I appreciate your offer and the excellent pictures.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 03-06-2003, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Jim, et al, any one doing a 289 ERA,

The color is 99? 98? Ford Explorer.

The wheels are brass/gold? powder coat by Phil at PSE, he can do most any color you want, or polish, or whatever. He knows the color on my wheels...ask him.

The electric fuel pump evolved from thinking I didn't have time to build my own engine...I got royally screwed by a prominent LA, CA "302 stroker" parts supplier/ engine builder, ended up with all his off-the-shelf late 302 Mustang bolt ons, pan, late model 302 front cover, regardless of my request for vintage Cobra, but I was not an informed buyer at that point...this is a story in itself. Upon total disassembly of the engine before running, it was a complete case of incompetence and fraud...e-mail me for the whole story.

When I figure out how/where to present it, I would love to document the crime committed by those slime balls.

Anyway, I have an inertia switch from Pegasus racing supply, (any cheap stock unit would work but they don't come with the male plug!!!), it is under the dash on the steel structure, left side of the foot box, to shut off the electric Holley pump in the event of collision. I am considering adding a oil pressure sensor that disconects the pump automatically when you shut down the engine or the oil pressure goes to zero.

Any one out there run one of those elctric pump shut offs? Ideas?

There is no reason for 90% of us to run an electric pump that I am aware of, it just happened for me. ouch.

So...THEEEEN, after I got rid of the wrong, double sump Fox body Mustang pan, (hey I knew Corvettes, not Ford at the time!) I got an Aviad pan...BUT... the Aviad has no dipstick...so now I had to remove the WRONG fuel injection front cover provided by the creep to add an early front cover with dipstick.

So now, I have a front cover from a early 70's Maverick 302 with dip stick and...BOSS FOR THE MECHANICAL PUMP... but the electric pump, and stainless Earls hose was already set up.

Arghhhh!!!! several hundred dollars of pump, hose, fittings later.

On a more pleasant note, Doug at ERA suggested to put the MSD 6al on the firewall steel loop above the passsengers foot box....I have a competition dash with no glove box...tons of room...which dash will you have?

I made an 1/8"? aluminum plate that I bolted to the passenger side cowl loop with three large "threadserts" , then bolted the MSD rubber feet to the plate.

Keep in mind you need room to run/connect the tach signal wire to the right side of the box, and you have to clear the upper cowl so the MSD can oscillate freely on its "little rubber feet"...I almost had to booger the holes as it was nearly rubbing the inner cowl.

I drilled a hole in the firewall and added a grommet, it was close, to the right of the solenoid, to run the two MSD power lines and the coil wires. The ground went out the grommet for the speedo.

If you have a street 289 dash, I dunno, but to the extent its the same as the 427, the MSD can go on the right side of the glove box shell, or in the glove box...but I would hate to lose any storage space.

A friend of mine just got an ERA 427, he is hanging it on the right outside of glove box, tight but works...AND he still has the glove box...for gloves.

I will post a picture, but I know its too large a file at 600 bits or so. If it won't take here, I will send it to your e-mail.

Any questions, I may have pictures of a lot of what I did, albeit in high resolution files.

I think all of us have a few good ideas when we are done with the car...or things we wish we had known ahead of time.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027