View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I had a problem with the brass window frame stretching as well as letting water in between the glass and frame. My fix was to remove the windshield from the car ( simple to do , just a few screws holding it to the side arms) then I took the frame away from the glass and cleaned all the rubber gasket material out of the frame. I went to an auto glass place (Standard Auto Glass) and talked the technician in the shop into selling me a tube of the black urethane stuff that they use when installing windshields. You cannot buy it retail. It is made especially for auto glass places. It sure is tuff stuff when it hardens. I used it to put the glass back into the brass frame. Voila !! no leaks. My only concern is that the urethane didn't bond the glass to the frame permanently just in case I have to replace the glass some day. Although the auto glass people seem to be able to remove it when they repair a windshield.

This black ureathane stuff really works good for other things as well. I glued the front brake vent screens in using this stuff. It also makes a great sealer and rubber gasket between body and frame etc.

Paul