Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Finish Line--- Speak with Paula & Enzo

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-03-2003, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     
Default Windshield Tensioner Bar

I've purchased a windshield tensioner bar from Finish Line and it seems to be too short. About 1/2" atleast, it is 1/2" from inserting the bottom of the rod through the lower mounting hole. I was wondering if this was an FFR problem or should it fit?
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

It is probably built for a standard British windshield, and FFR might (I said might) be using a domestic windshield or their own design. I have the same tensioner bar, it fits an ERA and a CSX car just fine.

TURK
Old 04-03-2003, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think it's an FFR issue after speaking with Mrmustang, he had one in one of his FFR's and said it fit fine. I guess I'll wait and see what Enzo replies with from the mail I sent directly from his site.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just went down and measured the rod and the rod itself is
13 5/8" long from tip to tip. Does anyone have a reference?
Old 04-07-2003, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can make it fit using just the bracket, rod and long nut and plastic screw. But then what the heck are the other 2 nuts and washers for?
Old 04-08-2003, 11:00 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Maybe...

I had the same issue on my Unique. The problem was that I had run with the top on and no tensioner at high speed and that had pulled the window frame apart so that is was not snug against the glass. This increased the distance between the two points. I have to pull the frame apart and put it back together

Still haven't done it. To chicken to break the glass.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 07-10-2003, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

I'm a little confused. Are you putting it in a FFR or BDR cause that's what it says under your name.
I just ordered one and am now wondering if I will have the same problem.

Trueoo7
Old 07-10-2003, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Check the date and read post "just destroyed FFR 1069". I totaled my FFR and bought a BDR. Also checkout the Backdraft thread and I've posted there also. You'll be happy with your BDR if you bring up the concerns I've raised in the Backdraft post and ensure that little crap is taken care of. Reg and the other outlet people seem very willing to satisfy.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I had a problem with the brass window frame stretching as well as letting water in between the glass and frame. My fix was to remove the windshield from the car ( simple to do , just a few screws holding it to the side arms) then I took the frame away from the glass and cleaned all the rubber gasket material out of the frame. I went to an auto glass place (Standard Auto Glass) and talked the technician in the shop into selling me a tube of the black urethane stuff that they use when installing windshields. You cannot buy it retail. It is made especially for auto glass places. It sure is tuff stuff when it hardens. I used it to put the glass back into the brass frame. Voila !! no leaks. My only concern is that the urethane didn't bond the glass to the frame permanently just in case I have to replace the glass some day. Although the auto glass people seem to be able to remove it when they repair a windshield.

This black ureathane stuff really works good for other things as well. I glued the front brake vent screens in using this stuff. It also makes a great sealer and rubber gasket between body and frame etc.

Paul
Old 07-16-2003, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The tensor bar is a pretty common item I sell to the FFR guys. I honestly don't know what trick they use to make it fit. Many of the cars have different windshields. The only thing to really be careful of is to not overtighten the bar. I know 3 different guys that ended up cracking their windshield with that one extra turn.

Paula
Old 07-16-2003, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Enzo
Can you tell me if the tensor bar will fit a Backdraft Cobra? Also the one I ordered did not have any directions. Which end should be up. Is drilling into the frame of the windshield to be expected in order for it to fit?
Thanks
Old 07-17-2003, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The bar will fit a Backdraft. The side with the hook should be up. If the windshield is OEM there is no drilling required but a lot of the windshields are domestic and you need to drill one of the holes.

Paula
Old 07-17-2003, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 la exotics 351W supercharged
Not Ranked     

Be careful! there are 2 screws that attach the bracket to your
windshield frame. If you over tighten them you will hear a cracking
sound. Jay
Old 12-01-2003, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 427 Cobra. 427 Side Oiler. Dual Quads.
Not Ranked     

I had the same problem with my Unique. At speed the windshield would separate in the middle. In fact I cracked a windshield when I was going 100+ mph and hit a bump. The bottom of the windshield actually jumped out of the bottom channel. I replaced the windshield but have noticed that by tightening the center bracket the bottom rail pulls away from the windshield. I made a custom "wedge" for under the center bracket that holds the bracket at the correct angle. So far so good. I think I will order a tension bracket as well.

Have fun!
Old 04-18-2004, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Glass, XR8 5.0L EFI, T5, XJS LSD Rear end.
Not Ranked     

Hello,

Please excuse me for asking within this thread

I want to order the windscreen tensioner bar and slide mirror. But was wondering if there are any other bits that you need to attach the rod and mirror onto your windscreen? Is there another clip or attachment part that I will need to order to mount these things at the top of the windscreen or dash area?

Kind Regards
Lyn
Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Found this thread in a search.
I purchased this bar from Finishline and can't figure out how to install it. It came with no instructions at all. I called them and sent an email but they were no help at all except to tell me to go to the forums. I bought this for looks only, I just really like the look, I don't even have a top...LOL
My car already has the brace at the bottom of the windshield and I assume it gets used in conjunction with the brace already there. The bracket that came with the rod is at a 90 deg angle. If i was to put this on top of the present brace at the bottom of the windshield, I think it would be almost impossible to put the screws back in.
Does anybody know how to properly install this support rod. Thanks in advance for any help I can get
Dave
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Found this thread in a search.
I purchased this bar from Finishline and can't figure out how to install it. It came with no instructions at all. I called them and sent an email but they were no help at all except to tell me to go to the forums. I bought this for looks only, I just really like the look, I don't even have a top...LOL
My car already has the brace at the bottom of the windshield and I assume it gets used in conjunction with the brace already there. The bracket that came with the rod is at a 90 deg angle. If i was to put this on top of the present brace at the bottom of the windshield, I think it would be almost impossible to put the screws back in.
Does anybody know how to properly install this support rod. Thanks in advance for any help I can get
Dave

Frame has to be out of car to install.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Oh yeah, Mark holes for bracket on dash and lower frame before you remove.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Jay,
I believe you told me in another thread that Factory Five has a special lower bracket for this support rod .I searched their site and called them today. No such animal?
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Although my frame is not original style.....The same problems exist......frame pulling away from glass......long ago I replaced with Lexan......I like the windshield layed back a little....but when you do this the gap in the middle bottom becomes large .....so I recut a Lexan screen reshaping the center bottom making it longer and at the same time redesigned the side screens. I also used silicon to install........I am still going to install that bar as the screen , being Lexan does flex quite a bit.....but its been without for ever so......