View Single Post
Old 08-12-2003, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC Cobra, 351W 400hp / 400 lbs torque
Not Ranked     
Angry Engine builder scam

I have recently been caught up in a complete scam and wanted to warn everyone about it to prevent anyone else from getting caught up with this guy.

Heres my brief story.

I have been looking for an engine builder ever since I purchased my Cobra kit. I have been talking and pricing several and narrowing my selection down. It was a company that advertises both Ford and Chevy engines in several of the traders. I have spoke with them for over the past 2 years off and on. They are very, very good! When pricing my package, a 351w with a trmec 5 speed, they went out of their way to answer my questions, return calls, talk me out of additional options that I was looking at purchasing, ect..ect.. I called the Better Buisness Bureau verified they had no complaints, their local Chamber of Commerce to verify they where their and what they did, and got references. I have always been extra carefull purchasing anything out of state especially for large amounts of money. Everything I looked into checked out as far as I could tell. I made my purchase, sent my deposits and spoke with them every other week to get an update. As of 2 weeks ago my engine was being delivered, but was delayed due to a truck accident. Well the next call I get is from their local County Sheriff telling me this was all a complete scam and the garage the guy works out of as never produced a engine. He ask for my help to provide evidence to shut him down. This scam, and these guys were so good, I had the Sheriff checked out to verify he was really a Sheriff and what he was telling me was true. Well to make a long story short as of last week they raided his place and shut him down. Currently I am waiting to attempt to get all or any of my money back so I can purchase an engine for my Cobra. Needless to say this really hurts, my pride, my budget and building plans. So I wanted to place a post to warn anyone else. From what I learned this guy has set up in several different states over the past several years. A year or two ago he ran adds as "DragBoy" the listed a phone number was (888) 527-3639, out of Sturgeon Lake MN. Recently he has been going by "KHP Engines" or Kent Helseth Performance" out of Meservey Iowa with (866) 511-0925 or (641) 358-6511 and a fax number of 641-358-6255. If you look in the back of the Muscle, classic, and Sports Car traders you will more then likely see his adds. At this point the Sheriff has closed him down and took possession of everything he had. It appears this was a one man show with 4 phones and different numbers as he posed as each diffent person from the owner to the guy who worked in the office to the engine builder and the driver. All I can say is this guy was good, and I mean good. He has been posting these adds in traders and papers all over the place so If you seen any stay far, far away. Well thats my sad story, I hope it helps or prevents someone else from getting scammed. Anyone have any ideas how I can get my money back I am open to any ideas or options and will try anything.

Jim