Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2003, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC Cobra, 351W 400hp / 400 lbs torque
Not Ranked     
Angry Engine builder scam

I have recently been caught up in a complete scam and wanted to warn everyone about it to prevent anyone else from getting caught up with this guy.

Heres my brief story.

I have been looking for an engine builder ever since I purchased my Cobra kit. I have been talking and pricing several and narrowing my selection down. It was a company that advertises both Ford and Chevy engines in several of the traders. I have spoke with them for over the past 2 years off and on. They are very, very good! When pricing my package, a 351w with a trmec 5 speed, they went out of their way to answer my questions, return calls, talk me out of additional options that I was looking at purchasing, ect..ect.. I called the Better Buisness Bureau verified they had no complaints, their local Chamber of Commerce to verify they where their and what they did, and got references. I have always been extra carefull purchasing anything out of state especially for large amounts of money. Everything I looked into checked out as far as I could tell. I made my purchase, sent my deposits and spoke with them every other week to get an update. As of 2 weeks ago my engine was being delivered, but was delayed due to a truck accident. Well the next call I get is from their local County Sheriff telling me this was all a complete scam and the garage the guy works out of as never produced a engine. He ask for my help to provide evidence to shut him down. This scam, and these guys were so good, I had the Sheriff checked out to verify he was really a Sheriff and what he was telling me was true. Well to make a long story short as of last week they raided his place and shut him down. Currently I am waiting to attempt to get all or any of my money back so I can purchase an engine for my Cobra. Needless to say this really hurts, my pride, my budget and building plans. So I wanted to place a post to warn anyone else. From what I learned this guy has set up in several different states over the past several years. A year or two ago he ran adds as "DragBoy" the listed a phone number was (888) 527-3639, out of Sturgeon Lake MN. Recently he has been going by "KHP Engines" or Kent Helseth Performance" out of Meservey Iowa with (866) 511-0925 or (641) 358-6511 and a fax number of 641-358-6255. If you look in the back of the Muscle, classic, and Sports Car traders you will more then likely see his adds. At this point the Sheriff has closed him down and took possession of everything he had. It appears this was a one man show with 4 phones and different numbers as he posed as each diffent person from the owner to the guy who worked in the office to the engine builder and the driver. All I can say is this guy was good, and I mean good. He has been posting these adds in traders and papers all over the place so If you seen any stay far, far away. Well thats my sad story, I hope it helps or prevents someone else from getting scammed. Anyone have any ideas how I can get my money back I am open to any ideas or options and will try anything.

Jim
Old 08-15-2003, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So here I am having nice friday, when I get tipped off that there is someone bad mouthing a favorite builder of mine, and a friend. I have been to Kent's shop in sturgeon lake, and to the friggin one horse town he moved to in winter 2002, when he moved, his guys stayed back, and quite cleverly, I thought, he would forward the calls to them. I was the one who repaired his topkick truck when it hit a deer, and I have had many engines built by him, as have many of my friends, with no problems. I looked into your resent allegations about him, and as I suspected, it seems you left out many many things, such as, you cancelled the order you had, many people had seen your product, want me to describe it? and you found out about him being investigated AFTER he was, not before, and you are merely here to save some face, embarrased that you cannot complete your project. Well, neither can I, his accounts are frozen, and they took his equipment, AND, I also was expecting another engine. I know he will sort out this attack, I know he builds wonderful products, and I know your allegation of mhim never doing a engine is slanderous, becuase I drove to that god forsaken town in may to pick up a 383 stroker and tranny, and dropped off my core. You need to be very very sad to try to call a rose a rose until you see the rose, and from your statement, it seems the rose you "checked out" enthusiastically, is a rose, and a very intelligent and experienced rose, his products are professional and produce wonderful results. I am appalled that some fool will come on here and blast someone without really saying facts, but just opinions, his problems, as I have investigated, are termed"local", which I am unsure what that means, but, you don't seem local. be careful.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

WOW! His Side.... Your Side..... and somewhere in between the truth!

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Don't know either guy that posted, may be a legitimate complaint. If not, his defender presented little factual info to counter and there was little factual evidence in the original post. Pretty slim profiles for both,and seem like a waste of the forums' time/space. But then it hasn't gone any real "timeline" yet.

Last edited by Woodz428; 08-15-2003 at 07:37 PM..
Old 08-16-2003, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

If you separate the bs from the poetry you are left with the following:

His accounts are frozen
They seized his equipment
He is under investigation
He owes people engines

Seems pretty much the same as the thread starter.

Roscoe
Old 08-16-2003, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug,

I am very glad to here from you and your comments.
You are correct, I canceled my order about 2 weeks after I ws informed by local law enforcements that
this was a complete scam. I was informed that by canceling my order with him I might stand a chance of getting my money back. I would love to speak with you directly if you would be willing, because I would love to do nothing more then get my engine or money back. At this point most of my information and facts are coming from local law enforcement who is investigating this situation and what has happened to me. I have no reason to slaner to wish any harm to this gentleman or his company. I have spoke with 2 other people this week over the phone who have ordered engine and never received them. When I was first informed by law enforcement that this was a scam, I tried to verify the stories and information that I was being told by the builder at that time. As you mentioned the truck hit a deer and was broke down. In my conversations while the truck was broke down I was given 2 different names of the place where the truck was, could not find a phone number or place that could tell me or prove that this truck was or had been their. Then I was told that neither of those names or places were right and when I ask where it was I was told it didn't matter and was none of my buisness. All this did was lead me to believe what the local law enforcement was telling me was true. Again I would love to talk or e-mail you direct because you are the fisrt person I have heard from that knows this guy and company and could possibly validate anything I have been told. I am a very conservitive person and have no intentions of slandering anyone. The ONLY reason for this post was to inform people of what had happened to me, and that I have been told by local law enforcement that this was a scam, my goal was to try and prevent anyone else from loosing their money and not getting their product. If I am worng and everything the sheriff has told me is wrong I will post a complete apology to everyone and to this company as well. Again please let me know if you are willing to talk with me over the phone, I would love to talk with you. If you are right and you have seen my engine, please let me know where it was and when you saw it, at least then I would know if I am going to get an engine or my money back.

Please lets talk over the phone and not waiste forum space. Sincerely: Jim
Old 08-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's a good use of forum space in my book. I'd like to know how it turns out. Sounds like the engine builder has fallen on hard times? Police do tend to over inflate a situation.

A complete scam artist paints a different picture than a buisness man who has over extended himself, lost his credit, made some bad decisisons under extreme pressure, etc.

All though, in the end, the results may be the same, your out an engine or the money.

Ernie
Old 08-16-2003, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree, I think, or hope several people reading this forum will benefit from the result, no matter what it is. If I end up out my money and engine and this is a true scam then I hope it helped someone else avoid the same or similar situation. If I am wrong and Kent and company are legitimate, I will stand up 100% and back this guy amd publicly retract any wrong accusations I may have made or impied. So I will continue to respond on the forum with the facts to the best of my knowledge and will make no slanderess comments or degrade anyone or thing in my presentations of the facts and details as I know them. Again, my goal here it to inform, and hopefully prevent another car guy no matter who from fallen victim to a similar fate.

So with that I would like to ask Doug to respond with some feed back and details or at least pass on some information to his good friend Kent.

First you implied that you and many others have seen my engine that is on the delivery truck that had been broke down for over 24 days. Please let me know where you had seen the engine and describe how it looked to you. Not to question you, but at this point you have seen and know more out my engine then I and I would like your feedback.

Second you stated that you repaired his topkick truck when it was hit by the deer. Can you tell me where you repaired it and more details on what it was delayed for over the 24 days due to this accident. If you have the name of the place it was getting repaired at or even a number since you repaired it.

And third, Please tell your friend Kent that I have been trying to get a hold of him for the past week and a half on his cell phone number he gave me, please ask him to return my call, he has all of my numbers to reach me. Also let him know that if I am wrong I am still standing behind my canceled order and requesting my refund, he has all of the cancelation forms as it appears you already know.

I do not mean to slander anyone or bring bad times on anyone who is having a rough go of it. However
I believe a good buisness man is expected to stand behind his product and policies. I placed my order in December of 2002, it was signed and approved finally in early Feburary and as of today I do not have it, or my refund, and I cannot get a returned call to validate anything.
I will support Kent 100% if I am wrong,.....Please prove me wrong.

Sincerely: Jim
Old 08-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I'm with Ernie on this one, sounds like interesting reading.

Either way you look at it, sounds like your out.

I do not know this other guy, but anyway you look at it, sounds like you'll have to do an engine somewhere else.

Just my $0.02
Old 08-16-2003, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

I do agree that the details are a good use of the forum, initially it seemed a long distance between the 2 positions, one that he never built an engine (a definite scam) and the other that he has built many and good ones and his assets (funds and equipment) were frozen, which does sound like a possible credit collapse or IRS invasion. Either of those 2 scenarios doesn't qualify as a scam in my mind, it will be unfortunate for anyone that has lost funds/engine but lack of sound judgement in financial matters isn't the same as an outright scam. The tone has definetly softened from the 2 initial posts and I too would like to know the conclusion. It is interesting that the guy defending him hasn't had him post his version of events. I wish Jim the best in recovering any lost funds or engine and look forward to see how this plays out.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello folks,
Just wanted to make a quick update since there seems to be some interest in these current event, as well as respond to the comments and allegations posted by Doug Harraty previousley. If anyone has any other comments or questions concerning this situation I will attempt to respond as quick and as accurately as I can. This way everyone reading the posts can get a better understanding.

- You stated that I canceled my order, that is correct. I did not state this in the original post as I did not feel it contributed to the reason I posted, which was to try to warn Culb Cobra Members. I explained why I canceled it in my second post, which was because I though it may be the best way for me to get my money back.
- You are correct when you state that I found out he was being investigated after, as I originally stated the Deputy Sheriff called me, I did not call them. I had no clue this could potentilly be some type of a scam until they called and told me. If it wans't for that call I would still be anxiously waiting for my engine.
- Your statement that I am also doing this because I cannot complete my project is also untrue. As of last week I placed my engine order with the Engine Factory, a greatly reputable company who have been great working with me so I can get back on track. I hope to have my engine in the next 3 to 4 weeks. As I stated, this affected me and my project, it did not stop me. My goal now is to get my money back to be used for my cobra and not lost for nothing other then a lesson learned.
- You are also correct in stating that I was very enthusiastic when I checked him out and ordered my engine. However after over 8 months of waiting and receiving nothing more then excuses, I have lost my enthusiam and it turned to embarrasment and anger.
- You are also correct that I am not local, if I was this would have been resolved long before now. However the term local I used was in reference to the law enforcment agency involved both in the current county his company reside in, Cerro-Gordo County and the Chief of Police from my home town. So that is who I am refering to as local law enforcement.

Well again I hate to take up forum space but I wanted to answer comments and alllegations from your response. Again I am looking for a responce to my questions in my previous post relating to my engine and the company I ordered it from as well as your friend Kent.

Sincerely: Jim

P.S. Thanks for the support and responses I have gotten from the Club Cobra Guys.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Hope Jim gets his money back, right or wrong, his fault, her fault, my fault, losing hard earned money is a B-tch. It's good we all have a place to post our encounters (negative or positive), maybe it can help bring a speedier fix/closure. Best of luck Jim.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I spoke with another individual later this morning who has had dealings with this gentleman and his company. Unfortunately they are out money as well. I hope this does some good and prevents someone from making a mistake.

Jim
Old 08-18-2003, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Help! I wish your message would have come sooner! Like you I have been waiting a LONG time for an engine. Now the cell phone numbers are both disconnected and the other number to his office just rings.

I, too am looking for some answers. Would you be able to email me (on or off list) the information about who specifically you spoke to about the "scam" investigation? Maybe if we all "band together" (how cliche') we can get some action or satisfaction in this matter.

I hope we can all get our $ back. Engines are expensive enough with out having to pay for them twice!
Old 08-18-2003, 08:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

saxybiker,,,,,,man you to?? How many others are out there?

By the way, I see this is your first post. Curious,,,,, you been watching the Club for awhile or did someone tell you about this thread or what?

Ernie
Old 08-19-2003, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Saxybiker,

Sorry to here that you got caught up in this as well. It seems everyday there is someone new who put out a post, but again its too late. I wish I could have done it sooner. I wish someone would post saying hey you just saved me from making a big mistake insteads being too late.

Saxybiker I e-maild you this morning asking for some information on your situation and if you want you can give me your phone number and I will call you. I also have the same question Excaliber had, are you a regular Club Cobra reader or how where you informed of this post. I am curious how far out it is reaching and if it is doing any good.

Still no response back from Doug Harraty who so quickly defended this gentleman and his company and posted allegations against me and my post. I wonder where he is or who he was. Doug, still waiting a response.

Jim
Old 08-19-2003, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Being in the revenue dept of law, I was asked to try to obtain some truth to the many sways of the above subject. You see the normal train of events when a company or individual is involved in a scheme to defraud, it happens daily. From what I have found so far, the above mentioned business is legal, registered, and has produced product. In addition, the investigation was initiated with a search and seize warrant. This is usually done for other , and numerous types of investigations which include taxes, revenue withholding, money laundering, and intent to defraud. This individual was the person registered, was operating a business using the classic forms of forum. Utilizing correct address, bank information, etc. This does not have the ear markings of a intent to defraud. I have seen the scheme of defraud, theft by swindle, etc. When someone has set out to defraud, false accounts, fake addresses, offshore accounts, and use of untraceable phone conections,(cell phones) are the norm. I have been told that this individual was always booked far in advance, and the landslide effect of the search-seize of accounts, assets, business property, etc. would prevent someone from completing any future business. I am only offering my observations, and wish to advise people that rumors get elevated, truth gets deflated. I am very happy such a forum would allow such exchange of information, but many times the rumors start the panic, when no panic was needed. Many businesses , such as financial institutions, have been destroyed because on person started such a panic. I am to gather that no charges have been levied, which leads one to believe no assumptions should be made until then. Please remember that one is innocent until proven guilty. I have noticed other vague remarks about companies in newspapers and variuos media that have been skewed unfairly for the company reviewed.

Paul
Old 08-19-2003, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,

Thanks for your information and feedback. I hope this is the case and everything is legal with this gentlemam and his company. If that is the case then this should be able to be sorted out and I will get my money back from my canceled order. You are correct that the investigation has only been unerway for about a week and a half. The Chief Deputy involved seems pretty convinced of his facts and findings. There has been no arrest made at this point but I assume that will depend on the outcome of the current investigation. I seems everyday I come acrossed someone new who had ordered something from this company and never received it. I really hope I am wrong and this all gets worked out.

Jim
Old 08-19-2003, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,

Any advice on what I can do to ensure I can get my money back?

Jim
Old 08-19-2003, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default FRAUD ??

THIS GUY COULD HAVE SATISFIED HUNDREDS OF ORDERS.

A CUSTOMER OR COMPETITOR GETS A "BURR", CALLS SOME PEOPLE TO CALL THE LAW AND ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.

ACCOUNTS ARE CLOSED AND EQUIPMENT SEIZED. THE BUILDER IS PARALIZED TO FILL HIS ORDERS.

HIS LEGAL ADVISOR PROBABLY TOLD HIM NOT TO TAKE CALLS BECAUSE THE POLICE WILL HAVE STIRRED UP CUSTOMERS WITH THEIR INVESTIGATION AND HE MAY COERSED INTO DAMAGING HIS DEFENCE.

THE MONEY WON'T BE RETURNED TO THE CUSTOMERS BECAUSE THE BUSINESS HAS BEEN STOPPED AND PRODUCT CAN'T BE DELIVERED.

THE EFFORTS TO "PROTECT" EVERYONE JUST STOPS A BUSINESSMAN FROM RECOVERING.

THE OFFERS TO ADMIT THE ERROR OF ACCUSATION WILL BE OF LITTLE HELP.

WE ARE ALL SAFE. YOU CAN'T SEND MONEY TO "FROZEN ACCOUNTS".

I DON'T KNOW THESE PARTIES BUT MANY HONEST BUSINESSMEN AMONG US COULD BE PULLED INTO A SIMILAR MESS.

I HOPE EVERYONE RECOVERS. B. SMITH