View Single Post
Old 09-01-2003, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I have the 2x1" core, but you can have straight fins or dimpled/split fins, and fine or open fins. The slight extra restriction from the dimpled fins apparently helps drag more heat out.

I have had my car in traffic without it raising a sweat, and it's been fine on the track. Mine should be OK in traffic though, because while it's idling it's just a normal little 8.5:1 compression small block. A friend of mine was having all sorts of problems with his 500+ cube 13:1 compression big block Chev in his Impala. He took the copper/brass 5 core out, and had an alloy one built. It actually overheated even quicker than the original radiator..... He had gone to a backyard cheapo guy who quoted him $150 less than the best guys. What he got looked like a factory OEM alloy radiator core, with some custom end tanks welded on.

He bit the bullet, took the new alloy radiator straight out, and went for the PWR core with basically the same shape end tanks, and instead of sitting around 210 degrees, it's sitting at 160 on the highway. It's probably run even cooler if he took his 160 thermostat out.

So..... just because it's alloy doesn't mean it's better. You still need to choose the core carefully. Do you know the brand of the core that they're proposing?