Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-20-2002, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Found a good alum radiator shop in Brisbane!

Having talked to some of the high profile radiator / intercooler shops in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, I was told about a shop that happened to be 5 minutes from my house! I visited the shop and was impressed enough with their work and knowledge to place my order immediately for an alloy radiator and Garrett intercooler.

Western Suburbs Radiators and Intercoolers is in Sumner Park - ph 07 3376 2700. Mark doesn't own the shop, but he measures/quotes/fabricates all the alloy work in the shop. He's easy to talk to, happy to accomodate stupid and finicky requests that I had, and a very reasonable price. Way less than what some magazine adverts are quoting for similar product.....

I've dealt with lots of auto shops in the last few years. Mark at Western Suburbs was one of the best!

When I get my hands on a digital camera again, I'll post some photos so you can see why I like the quality of their work.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Craig,
How far along are you on your build. It sounds like you're
moving right along.
Do you think you will get to drive it before your trip here?

Hersh
Old 03-29-2002, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hersh,
I spent a couple of days this week at Scott's place working on the car. We started the motor for the first time today! (Well, the first time on Australian soil anyway...) In the next couple of weeks I'll be taking the motor down to a well respected tuning shop in Victoria - about 1000 miles away.

After that's done, I just need the solid fuel lines fabricated, a little more steering work, then onto the interior, roll bar, and a million little bits and pieces like horns, lights, dashboard, battery etc etc.

I month ago the car looked like it was a year away from being finished, now it looks like 6-8 weeks!!! I really hope I can drive it before the Fling, but we'll see.

Bummer about your "BAD ASP" plates Someone in the DMV must have too much time on their hands.....

How's that Roaring Forties monster looking? I saw one again the other day, driving the other way. I know it's a Roaring Forties car, but the owner isn't in the local Cobra club, so I've never had a chance to meet him.

Take care,
Craig
Old 08-17-2003, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Radiator

Craig,

I have priced a Fluidyne three row alloy Cobra radiator, probably same as used in Spec racer US$625, which I think is a pretty good price, but the problem starts on freight US$413.95 (NZ$765) to get it here to NZ.

These radiators have a flat top/bottom, side tanks and locating pins bottom and top, as per original Cobra, but I like the top look, as I will fabricate cowling etc!

My car is designed for the good ol 80's Aussie Commodore radiator, at the bottom, with pins going into rubber grommets, but I will go a bit taller so I am probably after a 26X19X3.150 three row custom built radiator, similar to as described above.
Is your radiator guy on email, as maybe that's an option to get one built in Aus, and ship to here.

We get Griffin radiators here etc with some of the speed shops, good prices but only two row and they have a channel on the top, and I dont want to modify one of these, so might as well get the goods for a start!

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 08-17-2003 at 12:08 AM..
Old 08-17-2003, 12:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think you should be able to do a little better than $1000+USD to your door

The guy that I used isn't on email, but he uses www.pwr.com.au cores. Paul Weel (the V8 Supercar driver that crashes into everyone else ) owns the company, and his radiator cores are highly regarded within the racing industry. I'm not 100% sold on his intercooler cores, but his radiators are top notch. PWR will custom make a radiator for you, and their factory pricing is supposed to be pretty competitive. I'm sure they'd have access to better shipping rates, or better yet, they might have a Kiwi dealer that could order it in for you.

Haha... this is an old thread - on a post above your question, I mentioned that the car was 6-8 weeks away. Well, it ended up being finished 56 weeks after making that prediction. There's nothing like an optimist!!!
Old 08-17-2003, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi all,

Craig let me know when you are down in Victoria. Who is doing the tune?

I see you are possibly going to the States?

When are you going?

I will be heading over to the States straight after the Nationals in NSW to look around and attend the Run N Gun in Missouri

Keep me posted re coming down.

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-17-2003, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bernie - this is a really old thread. I wrote about going down to Vic in March of 2002! I had planned on taking the motor to Nizpro. I like the way Simon could tune the motor at specific air inlet temps via his MASSIVE air to water intrecooler. In the end, I went with Cragar Performance up here in Brisbane. I was really happy with how Craig tuned it, and it was about half the price that it would have cost me to take the motor down to Vic.

I did have some interest from Motec about sponsoring the cost of a 40ft container to get 4 cars over to next year's Fling (and maybe Run'n'Gun). The logistics involved are pretty full-on, and it may prove to be just a nice dream. If it did happen, I'd take my own car, OZVENOM would take his turbocharged Cobra (converted to 4WD), another mad mate would have his 900+hp Cobra there, and there'd be space for one more. Right at the moment, I can't see it realistically happening, but I'm trying.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hey

Teach me not to read dates. When I went back and checked I could see how far out I was.

Sorry about that.

The logistics of moving cars is one that I have had a brief look at and what worried me was the packing of the cars or should I say stacking. I am not sure I would sleep with the worry

Seriously it would be worth following up as I would like to do the drive from LA to Missouri. Could even go south and pick up Route 66 which was suggested to me.

Actually I will do the Route 66 from St. Louis back to Chicago after the Run N Gun so will have a bit of an idea.

The cost of the container shared may be worth exploring if sponsorship is not an option. What about insurance costs?

I would be very interested

Can I keep up with you guys though.

Again sorry about picking up an old thread. Will read the dates in future.

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia
Home of the famous Blue Lake.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 09-01-2003, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Radiator thickness

Craig,

As you have very high horsepower cars, do you have a recommendation on how many rows I should have built into my custom alloy radiator? - will have about 530bhp of small block!

An outfit over here in NZ gets cores in from Aussie, they are very well made, he recommends 2 X 1" rows, I feel I should go for the 3 X 1" just to be sure, but its never that hot over here, like it would be in Aus or the US!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 09-01-2003, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have the 2x1" core, but you can have straight fins or dimpled/split fins, and fine or open fins. The slight extra restriction from the dimpled fins apparently helps drag more heat out.

I have had my car in traffic without it raising a sweat, and it's been fine on the track. Mine should be OK in traffic though, because while it's idling it's just a normal little 8.5:1 compression small block. A friend of mine was having all sorts of problems with his 500+ cube 13:1 compression big block Chev in his Impala. He took the copper/brass 5 core out, and had an alloy one built. It actually overheated even quicker than the original radiator..... He had gone to a backyard cheapo guy who quoted him $150 less than the best guys. What he got looked like a factory OEM alloy radiator core, with some custom end tanks welded on.

He bit the bullet, took the new alloy radiator straight out, and went for the PWR core with basically the same shape end tanks, and instead of sitting around 210 degrees, it's sitting at 160 on the highway. It's probably run even cooler if he took his 160 thermostat out.

So..... just because it's alloy doesn't mean it's better. You still need to choose the core carefully. Do you know the brand of the core that they're proposing?
Old 09-01-2003, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Radiator core

Craig,

The brand is "Adrad" from Australia, they used to use K & J but found they were wanting!

Features are:
1" tubes
Two or three row cores
Louvred
10mm tube pitch (distance between centres 100mm)
8mm High louvres

Hope that makes sense, I obviously dont know what it means!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Tube pitch

Craig,

Typo in last message should read (10mm) not 100mm.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know heaps of guys with copper/brass AdRad cores, and a few with alloy. Nobody has ever had a complaint about them.

Oh well, except they're from Adelaide.....

Craig
(The eternal Queenslander)
Old 09-02-2003, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Adrad

Craig,

Dick Johnson fan huh!

Sounds good Adrad, and I think I will go tow row as they seem to cool better than three rows!

The 1960's rocked!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: