Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-26-2009, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 385 Series drivetrain combinations?

Was wondering what some of you are running and how it performs.
My latest combination is a blueprinted,balanced .030 over 460,Edelbrock Performer RPM on Ford MotorSport Aluminum heads,ported polished,Tubular Automotive racing headers 2 1/2" exhaust under the car.Aluminum flywheel whole assembly balanced,Tremec TKO,Strange Aluminum Pumpkin with 3.73 gear in 9" set at 4 degrees positive.Car is scaled.Have Dan Davinci building an 850 dbl pump for next season.As it sets now it launches very hard,with slicks almost pulls the tires.Very happy with performance,half the fun of owning this toy is always in the hunt for a little more and the unsuspecting street brawlers.Never lose sight of having a decent cruiser.Lets hear from you that like to play and experiment.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

mdross1,

Sounds like BIG fun

I have a 521, C-6 and a 2.88 Jag rear. This combo is very tame, 9.8 compression and hydraulic roller cam, 3" undercar exhaust. Very much a daily driver. Very difficult to sneak up on anyone

Oh, and it just turned its 25,000th mile on the Daytona high banked NASCAR track during an Audi Club / Hooked on Driving track day using the Rolex 24 Hour race course: http://www.firstcoastcobraclub.com/v....php?f=3&t=518

Happy Holidays!

Tom
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Neat video,and makes me envy you.My car is setup for road racing,just never got to a track.About the time I finished the car the Harley bug bit me again big time.Since then have built 2 hot rodded Road Kings and have a 3rd done except for engine.No matter,took the Cobra out last fall,rekindled the desire.This next season will be a lot different.
What are you running for tires on yours.My BFG's are not track tires at all.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

mdross1,

It is big fun Can't wait to do it again.

I use Kumho Victoracer V710s at the moment. Since Daytona is less than 50 miles from my house I put the slicks on and drive there - just like the old days

For the street I use Michelin Pilots, but they are kinda treacherous, so I'm thinking of switching to Kumho XS or maybe Nittos.

Tom
Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tom,

I have a set of Drag Radials I used for one day running around,mainly to see how the car would launch.At 16 lbs they worked incredibly well,the way they picked up sand and blasted the car made me very uncomfortable.
This season the BFG's will have to stay,all of the drive train is new,including the motor.Have discovered how treacherous these tires are in the twisties,especially with the big block.
Dan Davinci is building me a 1000 cfm carb specifically for this motor,as you can imagine I'm just a little anxious.

Mike
Old 01-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

I guess the biggest difference between the Kumhos and the Michelins is how they lose traction.

The Kumho track tires don't make any noise (at least not that I can hear ) and let go gradually. Gradually means that I have a chance to do something to correct an impending spin, such as a small change in throttle position or steering wheel position. This results in my being able to (more or less) control the car in a 90% or more situation.

Not so with the Michelins - they let loose suddenly and without any warning - and turn an otherwise peaceful world into what I think of as "blender view" AKA a "snap spin." Similar to being inside a blender when it unexpectedly is switched on. It is ten times more difficult to recover from that situation. Sometimes I don't

I'm still looking for a streetable tire that behaves more like a track tire which is why I'm looking at things like the Kumho XS or the Nitto NT05 or whatever the equivalent Toyo might be.

Drag radials are fine in a straight line, but they scare the cr?p out of me in turns due to their extreme sidewall flexibility; the very thing that makes them good for drag racing makes them very poor for a road course.

Let us know if you find any grand tires!

Tom
Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Drag radials were put on for one reason,they did a good job.Years ago a friend with a high horsepower big block Vette found a street tire,that he claimed really did the trick.I'm sure tire tech has surpassed that.I have been talking with racers and of course everybody has their favorites.When ready I will probably spend some time on the web and or tele to get a feel for what a good compromise tire would fit the bill.This Harley bug has really got a hold of me,just finishing dailing in a big inch TwinCam,this season should see it finished. Mike

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: