Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 67 Shell Valley - Kevlar; 514:TKO
Send a message via AIM to Jahred
Not Ranked     
Default Holly Blue enough fuel pump for 514?

Will try to make this short. My Holley Blue failed last fall. Went shopping, ran accross specialty shop. Owner sounded very knowledgable. Suggested the HB was not adequate for the 514. Mine is set up with 3/8 line.

He accurately described that my engine flattens out at about 5000 RPMs. I forget just what term he used .. but seems very accurate. I thought that was due to large stroke syndrome. He suggested I should be getting good acceleration through 6000 RPM and suggested a Barry Grant unit (220) with 1/2 inch inner diameter lines.

I also noticed when I got under the car that my fuel filter is installed after the pump, which I believe is not ideal. He suggested the whining on the HB was "deadheading" and that a relief line should be feeding overflow back into the tank. All of that makes sense. Not sure the HB has an outlet for that.

Mysteriously, the pump seems to work OK this spring. Does it makes sense that this set up is not getting enough gas to 1050 Holley? I have Low rise manifold and totally inadequate airfilter set up stuffed inside a turkeypan to deal with clearance issues which I've been unable to solve so wonder if I'm wasting my time on fuel capacity if Iv'e been unable to optimize airflow anyway. I know its a complex subject but curious for input on need for 1/2 inch lines and a different fuel pump set up.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahred View Post
Will try to make this short. My Holley Blue failed last fall. Went shopping, ran accross specialty shop. Owner sounded very knowledgable. Suggested the HB was not adequate for the 514. Mine is set up with 3/8 line.

He accurately described that my engine flattens out at about 5000 RPMs. I forget just what term he used .. but seems very accurate. I thought that was due to large stroke syndrome. He suggested I should be getting good acceleration through 6000 RPM and suggested a Barry Grant unit (220) with 1/2 inch inner diameter lines.

I also noticed when I got under the car that my fuel filter is installed after the pump, which I believe is not ideal. He suggested the whining on the HB was "deadheading" and that a relief line should be feeding overflow back into the tank. All of that makes sense. Not sure the HB has an outlet for that.

Mysteriously, the pump seems to work OK this spring. Does it makes sense that this set up is not getting enough gas to 1050 Holley? I have Low rise manifold and totally inadequate airfilter set up stuffed inside a turkeypan to deal with clearance issues which I've been unable to solve so wonder if I'm wasting my time on fuel capacity if Iv'e been unable to optimize airflow anyway. I know its a complex subject but curious for input on need for 1/2 inch lines and a different fuel pump set up.

Thanks
with my 468 cubes and 1000cfm + i run a 1\2 inch line with a mallory 140 gph....i would think the 3\8 line is the first issue to overcome. unless your pushing the engine to its upper limits i don't think the holley pump will be inadequate for street driving, but if it has failed and whines on occasion i would take that opportunity to upgrade it...JMHO
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

I have heard others with big cubes say the Blue Holley isn't enough & motor starves at high rpms. Personally, I like the aeromotive pumps & I run 1/2" line to feed a 521.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 05-19-2010, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I use an Aeromotive pump and 5/8ths line to carb and 1/2inch return line.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

Despite what you may hear to the contrary, the filter is correctly placed AFTER the pump as the pump will push adequate fuel through even as it accumulates debris. Putting it on the inlet side will starve the pump as there is no suction, only gravity feed. Be sure to use a return style regulator. This will prevent cavitation in the pump insuring a steady flow of fuel and extend pump life by helping keep the pump cool. Mallory and Moroso both make log style return type regulators that mount right next to the carb which cleans up the plumbing. Work great too. I've used Holley pumps for years with good success following the above guidelines. Oh and they hum pretty vigorously which is the nature of the beast. If it doesn't hum it isn't working. After a couple minutes I don't notice it anymore.
Frank

Last edited by Frank Messina; 05-19-2010 at 05:16 PM..