Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     
Default 521 Street Motor Torque Monster Build

Here are a couple pics of the dyno sheet data on my 521 stroker. This is the latest motor that is going into my '69 Mustang Fastback & is a street legal car. This is the dyno results of the motor in it's current state. Shotgun Hemi Boss heads are going to be added along with another carb & a 500 hp shot of nitrous.

Motor has Scat Crank, H-Beam rods, Probe forged pistons, Crane full hydraulic roller Cam, E-Brock CJ heads, E-Brock intake, & 850 Quick Fuel carb.

My goal was a torque monster for the street with the ability to go to the track & be competitive.

Car has a Boss Nine front end & full cage. C-6 tranny with Broader Performance custom full manual valve body in a reverse pattern with transbrake. Out back are 3.70 gears housed in a 9" ford rear with moser detroit locker, moser 31 spline axles & the entire housing has been reinforced. Slide-a-link system on 165 race springs. Wildwood discs all the way around & a front end line lock. The fuel tank has been customized into a fuel cell with rear sump & rollover venting. Custom aluminum dash, blah, blah blah. Just about everything has been custom fabricated on this car. Anyway, here is the dyno results without the Boss heads & nitrous. Check it out!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That Scat crank, unless forged will not stand a 500 shot above what you have now. Cast is done around 750HP. 1000HP should produce high to mid 8's-what do you call 'competitive'?

Is this a 10 1/2"tire car?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

Chas, Crank is forged. Yes, It's a 10.5" tire car. Competitive is going down the track reliably, time after time.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good news.

I have a friend with a Barton 521 Hemi at 960HP in a Dart. Chassis and transbrake like you-runs 8.80's at Etown all day and does not hurt parts. Does not street the car- uses 14" tire though.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Amazing T/Q numbers. 627 @ 2800,..... 529 @ 5000.
500 H/P @ 5000.

The curves are great also.

You have a pm.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-21-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Old 06-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mick,

It looks as if you have a great set up there. And I agree that the curves are very good. Good luck.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys. I hope to have the install done next month. I'll get some pics up soon as I can. I'm also going to start a thread & post my garage build in August. Plenty of projects going on here this summer!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

600+TQ at 2800 Wow, would that thing ever be a fun stoplight bandit,with gumshoes.We will be looking forward to seeing it finished.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

We will not use scat cranks. Eagle or ford for us.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 07-04-2010, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
We will not use scat cranks. Eagle or ford for us.
Why Steve? Others have used the cast item to 700HP.
Please explain.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nothing wrong with Eagle & Ford,....or Scat. We use them all, & others. Never broke a forged crank, (knock on wood).

Steve, what problems have you run into?

We have a blown injected alcohol car making over 2500 horse. Running a stock Ford 385 crank (460 stroke). It's not being run this season as we are swapping the crank out for a forged one. Been lucky till now & decided not to push it anymore.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Why Steve? Others have used the cast item to 700HP.
Please explain.
Fordzilla and I would still like an answer to this negative statement you've posted.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Nothing at all wrong with Scat cranks. I prefer them over Eagle. I've received way too many Eagle cranks with journal imperfections, blemishes, out of round journals, etc, etc.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...I still can't hook up Goodyear slicks with a well built but not "killer" side oiler. I get traction somewhere around 85 mph. 1st and 2nd are a joke, up in smoke.

I haven't got a clue why you folks want a killer torque motor, just doesn't make sense to me, I must be missing something. Recently an FFR with a 331 Windsor and dual turbos ran a 10.03 at a 140 something, with street drag tires, here at the local track. I ran that night as well, the track was pretty slippery or he would have been in the 9's. Don't think he needs a bottle, but we talked about it.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

For me anyway, and this may apply to others, that since I don't race my cobra, a torque monster is just plain fun on the street. I love the feel & sound of throttling the motor. Also, if you can hook up with slicks, TQ is what gets you doing, not HP.

This link is when I sold my 428 FE,....... made just for the buyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVT7eP8H6rw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3XsqHrtTPY
Old 08-01-2010, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

just another ass clown
Old 08-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's one recipe I've found for making a "torque monster".

First, get some BFG Radial TA's.
Add one T5 trans with a 3 something 1st gear ratio to maximize "torque".
Fold in a 3.5 rear gear ratio.
Mix thoroughly with a STOCK 302 of about 215 horse power.
Bake until a nice smoke cloud is created.

Serve on a skid pad. Excellent results are gaurenteed. You can burn rubber all day long, make lot's of smoke and impress the crowd of on lookers. Piece of cake, see the pic for results. Warning: Adding tires that actually have traction, or providing a reasonable gear ratio will ruin the recipe.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kevin, Your right, Torque is what you want on the street. (That's what makes it fun) Build the motor for torque & have the horse power be the by-product.

Vector1, Why is your sig line saying your an ass clown?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
Kevin, Your right, Torque is what you want on the street. (That's what makes it fun) Build the motor for torque & have the horse power be the by-product.

Vector1, Why is your sig line saying your an ass clown?
sorry, that was from another thread.

enjoy your engine and be careful.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, OK, glad to see someone else do things like I do, makes me feel better about myself!
Thanks,