Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex EQ
Not Ranked     
Default 460 water neck

Jeri, how far off was the Mez. I have it with a MDS large cap, it fite fine but close. Also there is room to file and polish. If all else fails call them they my be able to help.. Great People here in San Diego

Johnex EQ 514
Old 09-15-2010, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try CSR Performance

Johnex EQ 514

Last edited by ebustin; 09-15-2010 at 09:25 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique# 4279459
Send a message via ICQ to KrAzEcJ
Not Ranked     

Withdrawn, misunderstood the OP's problem

Last edited by KrAzEcJ; 09-15-2010 at 04:33 PM..
Old 09-15-2010, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 - 460 block
Not Ranked     
Default 460 water neck

Hi Ed,

I was just down your way two weeks ago. I forgot how great it is in San Diego.
The distributor I have is a Davis Unified Ignition (D.U.I.) system, distributed by Performance Distributors. This distributor has the coil and dyna- module built into the cap. When I placed the Meziere into place I have the same old problem as I did with the other necks, 1/4" off. The problem is the back of the housing hits the bottom of the distributor, preventing, the bolt holes from lining up properly. It's driving me crazy. I'm beginning to think I might have to design my own water neck and have it machined from a block of aluminum. It probably will cost me an arm and leg.

I just talked with the guys at Mez and they said there was nothing they could do. You're right though, nice guys.

Well, I'll let you know what's next.

Jeri
Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 water neck

Hi Ed,

I was just down your way two weeks ago. I forgot how great it is in San Diego.
The distributor I have is a Davis Unified Ignition (D.U.I.) system, distributed by Performance Distributors. This distributor has the coil and dyna- module built into the cap. When I placed the Meziere into place I have the same old problem as I did with the other necks, 1/4" off. The problem is the back of the housing hits the bottom of the distributor, preventing, the bolt holes from lining up properly. It's driving me crazy. I'm beginning to think I might have to design my own water neck and have it machined from a block of aluminum. It probably will cost me an arm and leg.

I just talked with the guys at Mez and they said there was nothing they could do. You're right though, nice guys.

Well, I'll let you know what's next.

Jeri
Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 Water Neck

Ed,

I gave CSR a try. Nothing there. But,tomorrow night, we have a bunch of car guys that meet in the Sears parking lot for a get together, and I'm hoping this one cobra shows up. I've been told he has exactly what I'm looking for. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jeri
Old 09-16-2010, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Water Neck Options for the 460- Cast Iron

Here are the three OEM "style" cast iron water necks I know of to fit the 429/460. These are aftermarket examples from "4 seasons". Made in China.

The (# 84859) with the single threaded port in the top is for 1969-1977 carb, car and truck applications. The chrome ones (that all warp) in the aftermarket are designed with this same single port.

The one without the threaded port (# 85185) (pictured here) is for the fuel injected 95-97 truck 460's.

There is another one used (pictured here) on the 78-94 that is a bit longer and has 2 threaded ports. This is 4-season part number 84860.

I also attached the pic of my OEM (GM... ooh bad word) air bleed valve I use on the top of the therm housing to bleed air out of system when filling. Makes my life a ton easier.

There are a few more that were used in production I think but these are the popular ones. The 351C therm outlets have same flange and bolt pattern but are straight up.
Attached Images

Last edited by kitcarbp; 09-17-2010 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: add pic
Old 09-16-2010, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Try a 351 Cleveland Water Outlet to clear distributor ?

Jeri, Have you investigated using the 351C thermostat housing, it has a lower "profile" and may clear your distributor ? Same flange and bolt pattern but I have not tried this personally. You would need a molded 90 degree elbow hose to come off the 351C housing which is a vertical outlet, but a 90 deg. elbow is easy to find at a local parts store in 1.5".
Attached Images

Last edited by kitcarbp; 09-16-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 water neck

Brent,

Thanks, for all the research you have done on my water neck problem. I appreciate the work. I went and bought a 351 neck, but it still hit the bottom edge of the distributor. Attached is a photo of my distributor.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2010, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460

Jeri: Its not csi any more its csr. here is the link www.csr-performance.com. Hope this helps. Call them First...Ed

Johnex EQ 514
Old 09-21-2010, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeri: try this link they hae different hose sizes.
http://www.csr-performance.com/shop/...1.25-inch-hose

Johnex EQ 514
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default DUI Disclaimer

Jeri, I found this on the DUI website:

"*Due to the large cap design, the DUI distributor may interfere with the thermostat housing on a
460. A compatible thermostat housing is available for $25.00, part number 84859. The 302 and
351W DUI will not clear a Victor Jr. intake manifold. We can extend the height 1/2" - 1 3/4" for an
additional fee of $75.00. High volume oil pumps are not recommended with the DUI as possible
irregular gear wear can occur. Click Here for additional information. The Street/Strip DUI has a
one year warranty from date of purchase.

Did you already try their solution and it does not work ?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 water neck

Jeri: The CSR housing is angled to the top I dont know where your hitting. Its smaller then others. Hope this helps. Ed

Johnex EQ 514
Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 water neck - CSR & D.U.I.

I talked with both the CSR guys yesterday and the D.U.I guys a couple of weeks back. Apparently, the CSR will still be too high and wide, making it hit the bottom edge of the distributor. I had already checked with the guys at D.U.I. a couple of weeks back. Like you said, they have a housing to fit, but it is made from pot metal. I bought one a month or so ago from Napa and ground it down too fit. But when I got a post saying the pot metal was no good, that it will warp and crack, I thought I better stay away from that material (pot metal). It's sitting on the shelf gathering dust now.

This morning I tried something different. I bought a heavy duty water neck (metal) housing and ground it down too fit. Because there was so much grinding involved, it left a 1" hole in the side of the housing. So what I have done is taken a piece of metal and welded it into place. After I grind the weld down, and make it look like it was never welded, I'll have it chromed. That is if it holds up. We'll see.
Jeri
Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 water neck

You mite think a new dizzy, May still may have a new crane, at my sons house.. Note having an all in one dizzy, my make the install look good, but one thing gone wrong your stuck with one vendor. Good luck I will still look for neck for you. can you measure your dizzy for me. it must be wide and or short. Ed

Johnex EQ 514
Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 water neck

Ed, I appreciate the offer on a different distiburtor, but I'm not going to let this beat me. Even if I have to disign my own housing. You're right, my distrib. is wide. Approximately 6" wide. That is what's causing the problem. If only there could be a 1/4" difference; things could be soooo much better.

Thanks again for your help. I'll keep you up dated. Jeri