Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default 460 Oil Cooler- Liquid to Liquid type, anyone else try this ?

All, Anybody ever try this on your 385 series engine ?
I am working on a project of installing a Donut type oil cooler on my 460, its an OEM Ford liquid to liquid type used on 5.0L Explorers back in the late 90's. Its the only one I found that can minimize coolant flow loses in such a compact design (1.75" inlet and outlet for the coolant circuit, installs in series in the lower rad hose). Its uses about 12 stacked plates in this design.
I wanted to avoid the down sides of all the oil circuit plumbing needed for a remote mounted liquid to air coolers in front of rad and get a cooler that does not need a thermostat. With my carb'd motor intended for the street, I should be able to keep more uniform oil temps (faster warm-up) and reduce water and diluted fuel content in the oil using this modern type of cooler, making for a happier engine : ) Most likely over kill I know, I have an 6 quart sump also, but just thought this to be a neat solution.

I confirmed I can attach it to the 385 series block OK with the right Ford OEM adapter fittings (C9AZ-6890-A) , the coolant hoses will be the challenge , its REAL tight (real close to my steering shaft) and will be custom, but it looks feasible in my WCC chassis.

This cooler I am trying to install was made by DANA (Long Oil Coolers) back in the late 90's for 5.0L Explorers, its a quality piece with mostly stainless steel construction. I know the small block guys have tried this, ( i got the idea from this forum after researching oil coolers) Have any BB 385 series owners try this before? I may have a 1.75" SS mandrel bend ( or two) in my future, but its worth a shot. I'll have to spend a few minutes at the parts store looking for just the right 1.75" molded elbows I'm sure.

Attached Images

Last edited by kitcarbp; 06-07-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

kitcarbp,

I tried a similar adapter on my Zephyr wagon's 557 for the filter; it didn't have the water circulation capability, just pointed the filter forward. It had the "one big bolt through the middle" design, similar to yours. It worked loose and leaked like a sieve or maybe more like the Exxon Valdez...

I replaced it with the double threaded pipe nipple that screws directly into the block. Fortunately I have room for the FL-1HP filter to point out to the side. The filter's gasket now seals directly against the block. The leaks are history.

I know Ford used these adapters on lots of trucks to change the filter's orientation nearly 90 degrees to make the filter fit. They seem to work OK for most folks.

If you do use it, please pay particular attention to the sealing washer under the bolt head, and the O-ring or gasket that fits against the block. Make sure you have the correct sealing parts!. There apparently are several different O-ring variations depending on which adapter you have. Using the correct ones seems to be critical.

Make sure nothing tries to rotate the adapter after it is installed and torqued down. The hoses will need to flex when the engine moves due to torque, and it's important they don't try to screw or unscrew the central bolt that holds it to the block.

Let us know how it turns out!

Tom
Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Hey Tom, Thanks for the tips, the adapter you are speaking of is the 90 degree adapter that just angles the oil filter towards the front of the engine and I too have been using one from Ford Racing since I first fired up the motor and the o-rings work real well with ZERO leaks for me so far. Yes it mounts in a similar way with a larger hollow bolt sealed, with o-rings that I purchased from Ford so I know its the right one and should seal. What I am now installing is an actual oil cooler that also rotates the filter forward, but will now will use an oil filter (FL-820S) with larger diameter Metric threads (M22) instead of the FL-1A 3/4"-16 threads, I guess Ford designed it like that for better oil flow exiting the filter (FL-820S) back through the cooler and into the sump, less pumping loss from a lower restriction I guess. This Explorer cooler is a much better design than those used on the early 90's F series truck 460's which were not very durable (prone to leaks and mixing fluids) from what I have read.

I 'll post some pics when I get the plumbing installed and running and post my oil temp observations. I am expecting to see faster oil warm-ups and should not see peak temp swings if the theory holds true, I'm measuring sump temps at the drain plug so'ill see the coolers effectiveness quickly if this works .

Last edited by kitcarbp; 11-17-2010 at 11:40 AM..