Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Wisconsin Snake -

"I have a set of side pipes that are restrictive and was told to update them with less restrictive version which would free up ~50 hp...

After reading this thread, maybe I will pass or at least use them until I feel like I need more HP and can handle the car."

You will like the less restrictive pipes - I got mine right before CRII went down
and they do make a difference in the right direction.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium SPF, 521 CID Gessford.
Not Ranked     

Dude, I've got the same 521 setup and it NEVER breaks loose unless I want it to.

If you do get into it, it will just spin the tires in 1st and put it on the limiter. The car won't really move. Second is better, but it will still light the tires up under WOT and the car won't go very much over 30-40 mph and it will be sitting on the limiter.

Occassionally, it might get a little squirm in 3rd. But these stories of fifth gear tire smoking are something I've never seen. Maybe under the worst possible traction conditions, but even then you have a LOT of gear leverage working against that.

Don't baby it, but don't mash the throttle around a corner. That's my advice.

I have the Avon CRZ66 on 15" rims and find that to be a good setup. But my BFGs weren't horrible either.

Last edited by cdog; 05-28-2011 at 12:53 AM..
Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

I`ve re read the thread and looks like one biggy was missed ..... PROPER alignment and have someone set the corner weights and diagonals . On mine , the diagonals are within .3 % , corner weights are correct and all sway bars not in a bind . Alignment was done by road race mechanics who work at a race shop that maintains and runs a bunch of high dollar stock and transam cars on the vintage and HSR circuit . BTW , make sure the alignment and wheel weights are done with either you in the car or the same amount of weight and about 1/2 tank of fuel . Tires are Avons .
Difference was night and day . The car would go sideways in second gear and break loose in 3rd . First was unusable . Now it just squats and goes . I can break loose , but why ?? One final item ... always "roll" into the throttle ... never just mash it . The name of the game is traction and common sense .
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

Lots of good advice on this thread! Its helping me with some ideas to make my car better and I'm sure it will help others.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspano01 View Post
Lots of good advice on this thread! Its helping me with some ideas to make my car better and I'm sure it will help others.
Wow! Yeah I agree, good stuff! Thanks guys.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
I`ve re read the thread and looks like one biggy was missed ..... PROPER alignment and have someone set the corner weights and diagonals . On mine , the diagonals are within .3 % , corner weights are correct and all sway bars not in a bind . Alignment was done by road race mechanics who work at a race shop that maintains and runs a bunch of high dollar stock and transam cars on the vintage and HSR circuit . BTW , make sure the alignment and wheel weights are done with either you in the car or the same amount of weight and about 1/2 tank of fuel . Tires are Avons .
Difference was night and day . The car would go sideways in second gear and break loose in 3rd . First was unusable . Now it just squats and goes . I can break loose , but why ?? One final item ... always "roll" into the throttle ... never just mash it . The name of the game is traction and common sense .

I would totally agree! Check and measure everything!!! I'm just starting to play with mine, and was concerned about a tendency to point hard left when getting on it (or off it). I found the drivers rear was 1/2" high, and even worse, the drivers lower link on the 4 link was 3/8" shorter than the passenger side!!! No wonder it didnt like going straight! Now when I roll on hard it goes straight, and doesnt dart left when I back off. It still torques the drivers side down, but it goes straight. Sway bars needed badly.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     
Default tires

Thread is kinda old but need tires myself. Was looking at the MT Sportsman SR Radial. Anyone have any exp. with them?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Thanks for bringing up this thread again! I love reading it. These Cobras are so fantastic! I have not done the WOT yet, I am doing autocross, but my dream (nightmare?) is to leave two black streaks going up my driveway. The dream ends with me crashing into my garage. In my dream I walk away without a scratch! I bet two beers would give me the courage to give it a try! So I’ll add to be careful of the beer drinking when driving!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     
Wink

Just rig up an arrester wire like on the carriers and you`re good to go !
Old 10-02-2011, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tommy is right-on... As is Mic- I'm building a 302 powered car for obvious reasons. Am I a coward? Well, I don't think so... 302 cars handle better.

A little recent story and more food for thought. I had, until this spring, a 540/540 HP/TQ dyno'ed rear wheel '08 Shelby gt500. That car was good for 30 more horses in cool crisp spring air than in 90 degree muggy summer air. I had a couple beers ( yes, only a couple... no, really) and that and really good air caused me to spin the thing around after banging 2nd and slide off the road backwards into a grassy shoulder (lucky for me).
My point is... even the air quality needs to be considered.
Last thought is from and older gent who told me 30 years ago: "Never scrimp on anything that comes between you and the ground". Shoes and tires come to mind first, and I've followed that advice.

I've also been an expert motorcycle roadracer for 20 years, so I have lots of track experience. Anyone can get caught out if they don't pay attention to EVERYTHING!. After that incident, I never drove the Mustang after drinking more than 1 drink and after waiting a long while. Thought I was a great driver... I'm just never as good as I think I am. Dodged a bullet, learned from it.... Have Fun!

Last edited by oldepicker; 10-02-2011 at 03:10 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

i did autocross once with my cobra. just about 2 months ago. it was fun, but not totally sure if its my bag. i want to go drag racing

i did spin the cobra around in a complete circle though. which was actually a good thing to do in an open parking lot. it basically spun right around, the engine was esentially the center of rotation in the spin out. no slide really, just right around in a circle.

i knew it was going to happen! i went into a 90-degree turn at about 40 mph, slowed down to about 20, then put the gas on too fast. weight shifted and as i was putting th gas on, i thought "that was a little too soon".

always fun to do a 360 though - in a big open parking lot!