Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default help me build a 460!

looking for some help with planning my 460,

goals:
-run on 91 octane pump gas
-id like to get 650 hp (i won't be heartbroken if its around 600)
-reliable
-id like to keep the build around $7k or less

i would like to build the engine around this stroker kit
12330-DM-F545 - Ford 545 Dish Top -22.0cc Dominator Engine Kit

i will be using a torker II intake

what heads and cam would you recommend?
any other things i should consider?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by NP_cobra; 08-12-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

There are cheaper ways of getting there than the kit you listed.

I'd use a Scat rotating assembly with a cast 4.500" stroke crankshaft, forged I-beam rods, and a good set of forged pistons. There's really no reason to stop at a particular stroke when the larger crankshafts cost the same. A 4.500" stroke gives you around 557 cubes depending on the bore. I can do a complete rotating assembly, with a Scat crank, Scat rods, Probe pistons, rings, and bearings for around $1300.

The Edelbrock Performer RPM heads work well for a street build. Even with a 2.09" intake valve, we've got them to flow almost 350cfm. They would be a cheaper alternative to some of the high dollar heads.

Match it up with a good hydraulic roller camshaft, ditch the Torker intake in favor of a Victor 460 and you'll have your 650hp.

Last edited by blykins; 08-12-2011 at 06:35 PM..
Old 08-12-2011, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, I have assembled short blocks available for not much more than the Coast High kit that you linked up above. I can also install and degree a camshaft for you, etc.

I love these big inch engines....last one I did made 740hp @ 6000.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

will the victor 460 sit under a ffr hood? id like to avoid cutting the hood if possible.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

We have done some of the 460 style engines with the Victor JR in a few Superfoamce cars but I am not sure about the Factory Five. I would contact them about this and they should know. Like Brent said the strokes all cost the same so there would be no reason to not do the 4.300 to 4.500 stroke combination unless you want to kill some bottom end. I find that some of the guys feel that they have to much power down low and will go with the 4.150 stroke which does give a better rod angle and piston design. You can get the power out of any of the combinations that you want.
We have a nice CNC program on the Edelbrock heads that will flow about 390 to 400 on the intake side and about 270 to 280 on the exhaust. You want to have good flow in the .400 to .600 range since this is where the camshaft will be most of the time. We do a ot of these with a hydraulic roller set up but it does run more money. The 460 engines is one of the best bang for the buck engines you can build but some people do not like the wieght on the front of the car because they are a little heavy.

Good luck, Keith Craft
Old 08-13-2011, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I want one.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The good thing is, unlike a Windsor or a production FE block, a factory 460 will handle a tremendous amount of power, so not having to buy an aftermarket block cuts down on the initial cost.

Pete, you going to switch your order now? I think we should do a 598-604 for you instead of that 445W.....

As Keith said, it depends on the car whether or not the intake will fit. A 460 block is the tallest of any (10.320" deck height vs. 10.170" for the FE, 9.500" for the 351, and 8.200" for the 302) so you're starting out with a disadvantage.

Last edited by blykins; 08-13-2011 at 05:02 AM..
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The engine will fit but no room for an aircleaner to let this big pump breath to its capacity.For example my .030 over 460, 560hp needed a 3"x14" with Extreme top to get all the unrestricted air it inhales at 5500+rpms.A modified Harwood scoop looks good and does the trick for me.Good Luck
Old 12-18-2011, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

contact this guy, you guys could help each other.

460 SCJ value
Old 12-18-2011, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

dbl post dbl
Old 12-22-2011, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A Dominator kit is not necessary for thjs application, a cast crank version is fine.

Years ago we did a 557 with Blue Thunder (Chevy exhaust) heats and the second largest hyd roller cam Comp made at the time. H/P was 630, torque was 680 lbs ft at 4,800.

Substitute a set of Kaase heads (for availability), and you'll end up in the same range.

It will pull a fat lady off a tricycle......
Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
There are cheaper ways of getting there than the kit you listed.

I'd use a Scat rotating assembly with a cast 4.500" stroke crankshaft, forged I-beam rods, and a good set of forged pistons. There's really no reason to stop at a particular stroke when the larger crankshafts cost the same. A 4.500" stroke gives you around 557 cubes depending on the bore. I can do a complete rotating assembly, with a Scat crank, Scat rods, Probe pistons, rings, and bearings for around $1300.

The Edelbrock Performer RPM heads work well for a street build. Even with a 2.09" intake valve, we've got them to flow almost 350cfm. They would be a cheaper alternative to some of the high dollar heads.

Match it up with a good hydraulic roller camshaft, ditch the Torker intake in favor of a Victor 460 and you'll have your 650hp.
It will pull a fat lady of a tricycle!! I have a spare 460 block and have thought about a stuffing a long arm between the pan rails.What kind of clearancing is required to swing a combo like this,and how bad does it make the rod angle?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On a 4.300" stroke, you don't have to clearance anything. A 4.500" may require a little bit of clearancing depending on the block. As with anything else, always check and never take anything for granted....

No issues with rod angles.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i'd put some big flowing heads & matching cam & carb on it, vizard & co. built a 500+ (?) chevy and showed 800hp+ on pump gas.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
i'd put some big flowing heads & matching cam & carb on it, vizard & co. built a 500+ (?) chevy and showed 800hp+ on pump gas.
Just a little daydream.Already have a set of aluminum motorsport heads,Davinci 1000cfm dbl pmp,Tubular auto custom headers,would step up to a single plane manifold,and poke a solid roller in to make it all work.
It will be another year at least, building an all aluminum motor for V8 bike.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What would be the best hyd roller cam use in a Ford Racing 521ci crate motor to get rid of the solid roller and keep the power about the same around 580hp?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You won't find many off the shelf cams that will have the duration that you will need. You will probably have to go with a custom grind from Comp, Bullet, etc.

You will need something with around 252/254 duration @ .050". Fortunately the cam that comes with that engine (M-6250-A514) isn't overly aggressive, so you should be able to choose a hydraulic roller that will be zero maintenance, but will be able to make similar horsepower.

I use custom Comp Cams and Bullet cams with my Boss 9 engines and usually use the Xtreme Energy lobes. You're looking at around $350 for a custom hydraulic roller, plus about $385 for Morel hydraulic roller lifters. You will also need a pushrod change and possibly a valve spring change.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Blykins..
Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a spare 460 block and have thought about a stuffing a long arm between the pan rails.What kind of clearancing is required to swing a combo like this,and how bad does it make the rod angle?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijing View Post
I have a spare 460 block and have thought about a stuffing a long arm between the pan rails.What kind of clearancing is required to swing a combo like this,and how bad does it make the rod angle?
It doesn't require any clearancing unless you go to a 4.500" stroke and then you *may* have to touch the block.

Don't worry about rod angles....