Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Stroked 460 Questions

Finalizing a purchase on a SP. Has a 460 that is stroked to 521. Running P51 heads and a CompCams solid roller (FF-4420-4132-R108). Victor 4500 /1050 Holly. Compression is 10.4:1. TKO500 and Ford IRS. Car will be ran near Seattle, WA.

Questions:

1. How often will I need to mess with adjusting the valve train? I have only messed with small blocks w/hydraulic lifters . . . set and forget.

2. The car is coming from high altitude (5000' plus) do you have a dyno/tuner/shop that is recommend some where between Bellingham and Olympia, WA?

3. If I wanted to skip tuning the Holly and jump right to an 8 stack set up for this specific set up, what would the specific recommendation be (components, existing cam, etc?). Budget $10K. Car is already plumbed with a return line.

4. If I go stack set up, would the tuner in question #2 be different?

5. Any other recommendations, suggestions, watch words of advice? Most of the time I am pretty "teach-able".

Thank you!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

1. I'd check the lash fairly frequently. That's a pretty stout cam as far as lobe aggression goes. I couldn't find that intake lobe in the catalog, but the exhaust lobe is an RT series, which is pretty aggressive. I don't know how often you drive, but I'd probably check the lash once a month.

2. Hopefully some of the members local to you will chip in here.

3. 8 Stack carb or 8 Stack EFI? Each would require a different camshaft to be a solid performer. Unless you go with a self tuning EFI system, you won't find anything easier to tune than that Dominator.

4. Yes, unless you go with a self tuning EFI.

5. That engine with that cam and that car is going to be an on/off switch as far as power, so just be careful.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

bykins - Thank you. . . 8 Stack EFI . . . I think self-tuning unless folks advise differently.

I don't know that I am down with messing with the valve train every month. Too many other projects / interests. . . . so maybe a hydraulic roller and 8 stack EFI is in order. . . but I am also concerned about butchering up a matched package . . those P51 heads apparently can swallow tennis ball's.

Last edited by kkosche; 01-15-2013 at 08:32 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They are nice heads, but that doesn't limit your selection in camshafts. You can still make enormous amounts of horsepower wit ha hydraulic roller. I can make around 750 with a hydraulic roller in a 529ci BBF and those heads or the Boss 9 heads.

With the 8 stack stuff, the cam has to be tailored to it, as the requirements are a little different.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

kkosche,

I agree with Brent. A hydraulic roller is a good choice with the proper cam profile.

I've run a Holley EFI setup for 25K+ miles with a hydraulic roller in a 521 and still grin when I crank it up.

Tom
Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Chuc mung nam moi
Cung nhau xay dung dien dan manh me hon trong nam nay the
Tran trong cam on
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Bruce? Bruce Lee?

....is that you, Bruce?

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

Good luck with the new ride "
Sunoco and Exxon Will soon thank you also.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks all. I fly out on Saturday to see the car . . . and most likely pry come cash out of my hands. . . . I think I will end up tuning what is there first . . then bite off the EFI and Cam after a good shake down.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Why not find a car that has an engine closer to what you actually want?

You're going to spend at least $10k with a cam and fuel injection change in addition to the price of the car and the taxes and registration fees. Possibly much more if you change out the heads.

If it were me, I would continue to search for a car that more closely meets my wish list. Just my opinion.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cams are pretty cheap...about $350 for a custom grind.

The FAST EZ EFI setup on an Inglese 460 or Kaase 8-stack injection manifold would probably run close to $6k by the time it's over with.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Why not find a car that has an engine closer to what you actually want?

You're going to spend at least $10k with a cam and fuel injection change in addition to the price of the car and the taxes and registration fees. Possibly much more if you change out the heads.

If it were me, I would continue to search for a car that more closely meets my wish list. Just my opinion.

It all comes down to price. For the price I am purchasing the car . . . I could run it as is for a period of time . . . dump $10K into a cam and injection (I see no reason why the heads would need to be changed) . . . and still be at a price point that is considerably less than equivalently equipped SP cars that I have seen in the past 2 years of searching.

In addition, part of the fun for me . . . is in the planing/doing.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

worst thing about 4500 holleys is the throttle linkage ratio to the seconaries---------
tunable carbs but start off as race carbs---
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Flew down and back to Denver yesterday. . . and bought a car.

Loaded onto the transport (lucky arrangement) this afternoon. Should be here on Tuesday.

Here is a picture.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Best I can tell here are the cam specs.

COMP Cams grind No. FF-4420-4132-R108, 256/262 degrees duration at 0.050-inch tappet rise. When combined with the 1.73 ratio of the P51 rockers, the cam delivers a whopping 0.761/0.743-inch lift.

The owner who had the motor built found the drivability . . . . a bit difficult with a single plane manifold (came with the car) . . so there is some form of dual plane on it now. Most likely that manifold is costing some serious power . . but it has decent drivability.

Seems like a more reasonable approach would be a hydraulic roller cam, Torker II that is ported to match the P51 heads.

I welcome comments / suggestions.

In the mean time, I am going to tune what is there for Sea Level . . and do some research.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Once I decided to go the 385 route knew it would be at least the 460,thought long and hard about stroking it.Course talked to a lot of Cobra owners most stated that big torque is great only real time it gets to be a concern is in the twisties.So stayed with 460 and have found it's traction limit in the twisties,and quite happy with the straight line performance.Thinking about sticking a roller cam in this motor love having the options we have today.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

kkosche,

I have Torker IIs on both my 385s, the 521 & the 557. They work great! And they give more hood clearance, allowing a large enough air cleaner for some serious airflow. Most taller manifolds force a pretty small filter size, restricting HP quite a bit unless the scoop is made taller...

The new Torker II has a variant that has fuel injector bungs already it it if you're interested in doing port injection. When I did mine ten years ago we had to weld in the bungs which is a bit of a chore. The new manifold is here: Edelbrock 50665 Edelbrock Victor Series EFI Intake Manifolds

Note the height of the carb pad is 3-7/8" which I think is the same as the Torker II. Don't let the Victor name throw you - I think it's the same manifold.

You might also be interested in this thread: 6th update, P-51 heads/ TorkerII intake - 460 Ford Forum

My experience on the dyno is that there's 400-500 ft-lbs at the back tires, through the C-6 automatic and Jag rear, from 2000 rpm up. Nice!

Tom
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

was that car just on e-bay?
I was ....following it...if it was.

and agree; the thrill of the hunt!!
It is an obsession for sure.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pulled bowls off the carb (80496-1) which according to my Holley book, is a 950 CFM double pumper. Jets were 65 Primary / 76 Secondary. Bumped both of them up two sizes. 67/78. Looks like the primaries were reduced significantly from the base setting of 78 on the primaries (again according to my Holley manual). Should now be fat enough to make it safely to the tuner (about 10 miles away).
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
kkosche,

I have Torker IIs on both my 385s, the 521 & the 557. They work great! And they give more hood clearance, allowing a large enough air cleaner for some serious airflow. Most taller manifolds force a pretty small filter size, restricting HP quite a bit unless the scoop is made taller...

The new Torker II has a variant that has fuel injector bungs already it it if you're interested in doing port injection. When I did mine ten years ago we had to weld in the bungs which is a bit of a chore. The new manifold is here: Edelbrock 50665 Edelbrock Victor Series EFI Intake Manifolds

Note the height of the carb pad is 3-7/8" which I think is the same as the Torker II. Don't let the Victor name throw you - I think it's the same manifold.

You might also be interested in this thread: 6th update, P-51 heads/ TorkerII intake - 460 Ford Forum

My experience on the dyno is that there's 400-500 ft-lbs at the back tires, through the C-6 automatic and Jag rear, from 2000 rpm up. Nice!

Tom

Thank you Tom. I will check those threads out.