Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default Trick Flow Heads Anyone?

If anyone has TF heads for your Ford 429/460... Which one are you using? Is your setup 290 or 325?

I'm wanting to reduce weight and go with stock or better performance with the 290's & "like" stock valve springs. I'd like to see if anyone has good or bad or any information to help me make a decision.

What Improvements have you seen when you switched?

Thanks,
Xack
Old 02-10-2013, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Check out John Kase, P-51 heads for the 385 blocks!

B i l l
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

The P-51 heads are the best you can get without going to something exotic.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

A friend of mine will be receiving his P 51 heads this week from Kasse. He told me they were the best heads on the market for the 385 series engines. He is putting the Boss 9 engine in his 69 Mustang. This is the second one he has built....sold the first for over $200K.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I would also skip the TFS heads and go for the P51's. I'm building a 523ci BBF for a local drag guy and we're needing over 850hp. They'll get the nod.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kaase
Not Ranked     

Yep, undeniably the best value for money head for the 385 series bbf is the p51. Tfs A460 are good too, but go the P51. If you want an all out no holes barred cyl head go the ProFiler, I have a 600 cu/in bbf with them on and they are killers, but real expensive to set up.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Do P-51's need a CJ intake ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo965 View Post
Yep, undeniably the best value for money head for the 385 series bbf is the p51. Tfs A460 are good too, but go the P51. If you want an all out no holes barred cyl head go the ProFiler, I have a 600 cu/in bbf with them on and they are killers, but real expensive to set up.
Am I wrong or do P51's require a CJ intake manafold? or... stock.. I've got a Edelbrock Performer intake for stock heads and I was hoping to keep it.

Thanks for your insight though, If they do require a new intake, I might make that move. My intention is to lighten up my big Ford. I think I've got enough HP for my Cobra replica.

Xack
Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From the Kasse website...

The Best Flowing, Most Powerful, User Friendly 429-460 Wedge Cylinder heads on the Market!

THE BEST COBRA JET STYLE CYLINDER HEADS ON THE MARKET!

So they are CJ and therefore, I'd need a new intake.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re Heads

Hi, Dave in UK, I have a 545 in my Dax Cobra, the heads are Trickflow streets ported by Scott Johnson in Tacoma, obviously the weight saving is one of the main issues, I get the feeling that all out horses is not your goal, I run a Comp xr292 solid roller, Dominator 1050, and a Victor Manifold, I would recommend the TF heads but the P51 gives far more options ultimately, horses for courses as always. dave
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,
You are correct. Essentially, I'm interested in your experience with the TF street heads and if you've had any complaints or issues with them. Are you using any stock components like rockers with them? My criteria for replacing my stock cast iron is primarily for weight. I would go for the 325cc intake volume heads. The only reason I would not go for the P51's is that I'd need to replace my intake manafold... and the TF 290 and 325 are the only aluminum, Non-CobraJet style replacement. Also, I can use my Harland Sharp Rockers. If I go CJ style, I'll need to replace a lot more than just the heads.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re Heads

I am using scorpion rockers which are really nice pieces and a probe girdle, havent got any issues with the heads, still playing with the combination, i have the filter poking out of the hood at the moment, but once i decide finally will probably go back to a Torker 2 intake modified for the Dominator. i have had the car to the dyno locally but had cable stretch issues so secondaries didnt open fully, Tq was 700 and just shy of 575 hp, that was with everything tailing off at around 4500-4700, so more to come. Dave
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default re heads

Hi, I am pleased with the heads, I am using Scorpion rockers which are nice pieces, and a probe girdle,I will likely go to a Torker 2 modified for the Dominator once finished with the setup, I had a dyno run which tailed off around 4700 rpm due to cable stretch so secondaries not opening correctly, still posted 700 tq and 575hp so more to come. Dave
Old 03-02-2013, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,
Wow, that's impressive for just a replacement head. Which ones do you have the 290 or 325 cc intake? Can you post your TF part numbers?

Thanks,
Xack
Old 04-17-2013, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

It’s hard not to get tangled up in the “x head flows more, therefore it is always better” and dazzled by the highest peak flow number. Yes the TFS-A heads will flow more than an SCJ style head, but be aware they require TFS specific pistons, intake, valve train and exhaust. So the cost difference is significant.
Also, the hidden treasures in the P51 and Kasse SCJ heads are their excellent mid lift flow numbers, that make a very flat, very long torque curve. Couple that with P51s making 750-850hp on pump gas and 900+ on race gas and a single carb, and you have a great street head.

Jason
Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question about the Trick Flow Powerport heads, specifically with regard to the raised exhaust ports. Specifications indicate the exhaust ports are raised 0.270" and require CJ exhaust manifolds / headers.

My current heads are D3VE-A2A with Vern's 2" primary tube headers. Are there any major issues using such headers with the TF PP heads? Issues with port mismatch? Any problems with the raised ports?