Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-28-2013, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ANTIQUE AND COLLECTABLEFORD 460
Neutral     
Default 460 Backfire out exhaust

Hello all! Its been a while but I'm back on the Cobra track.
I have a mild 460 build, stock bottom end with late model dove heads 9:1 comp. rollers rockers, edelbrock performer intake, 750 edelbrock carb. Mallory hi fire box and distributor Cam : Intake 479 Exhaust 504 duration 270 intake 280 exhaust. Its smooth and strong all the way through the RPMS and when I let off the gas around 5500-6000 rpm it sounds like shotguns going off on either side of the side pipes. I adjusted the valves last night and its doing the same thing. Only seems to do it when its running around 195- 200 degrees. Could it be a breakdown in wires or over am I over reving motor. Oh and how much horse power do you think I am making?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Vincent , Dave in Uk, 6k is right on the limit of that combo I would think, what valve springs you running? probably getting valve float causing you some issues, should be around 400 hp, give or take. Dave
Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I'd bet on header/collector gaskets. It's a fairly common issue with Cobras. Check your header gaskets and where your headers connect to the intermediate pipes. If air can get in either of those places back-firing on decel will occur.

Steve
Old 06-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
I'd bet on header/collector gaskets. It's a fairly common issue with Cobras. Check your header gaskets and where your headers connect to the intermediate pipes. If air can get in either of those places back-firing on decel will occur.

Steve
+1
it doesn't take much of a leak either........and you may even get "some" popping on decel at high rpms without an exhaust leak,the engine is not under a load, basically "coasting" and the fuel is not all burnt as when under a load, so some unburnt fuel will go thru the hot exhaust,burning in the side pipes, causing the popping.......

HP wise guessing 400 to 450 with a lot more torque......

David
Old 06-28-2013, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Exhaust manifold gasket. Mine did the very same thing
Old 06-28-2013, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just had my hands in it about 10 min ago. I am noticing arching at the front of the motor the same time the back firing happens and its not all the time. I adjusted the timing reved the motor up and it was fine not backfire. After it heated up some more I seen the arching and popping again. I am running a Mallory 6al box with high fire coil but I have a set of 8 mm ford racing wires from summit. Is it possible the wires laying on the motor are breaking down from the heat and causing problems????
Old 06-28-2013, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How do I seal the headers to the side pipes? They are slip on?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 67 Shell Valley - Kevlar; 514:TKO
Send a message via AIM to Jahred
Not Ranked     

I frankly love the popping. Especially in the dark. It's totally bad ass. I see fire out the exhaust all the time on most al sorts of race cars - drag, Indy, etc ... Why not just enjoy it?....
Old 01-05-2014, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Popping under deceleration [no load] is usually lean carb condition or exhaust gaskets.
Ignition usually acts up under load.
When I was playing with jets one day I went just a hair too lean and I started getting the snap crackle pop. It does sound cool though.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02423 KCR 445W 611hp 599ft lbs
Not Ranked     

What Ret Cop says....
Old 01-05-2014, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 460
Not Ranked     

The header fit on the 460 pipes from A&C are terrible. Leak big time. I have to use muffler sealer once a year. I'm cutting them off and putting flanges and gaskets as soon as I get a chance. When they are sealed, it sounds awesome and absolutely no back fire. Sometimes the flames are cool at night.
Mike
Old 01-06-2014, 06:47 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

The flames are pretty eye-catching at night. I took my son out for a spin one evening and, on an abrupt deceleration, startled him with a 6-footer. I could see it from the driver's seat. Since then, I've sized the pipe more accurately at the slip joint and now use Permatex copper at the joint. Problem solved.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI; '68 427FESO Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Let it pop!!!!!!:d
Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCENT RUDI View Post
How do I seal the headers to the side pipes? They are slip on?
Hi Vincent,

You probably don't remember me - I looked at your car a couple of years ago when I got the Cobra bug but ultimately decided to do my own build. Anyway, my car is also slip fit and the recommendation was to use Walker's Acousti-seal #35959. It is available at most parts stores - I got it at Pep Boys. Wear rubber gloves when you use it - it's like tar.

Regards,

Kevin

Edit: Just noticed that Vincent's inquiries are from last June...old thread.

Last edited by kevins2; 01-06-2014 at 10:45 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: