Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2001, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile 460 strocker

Dean at HOC building my 520. Hope to get it before Christmas.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

544 cu/in w/vortec supercharger and Blue Thunder parts. Fired engine w/out super 2 weeks ago but more interested in making the car handle the power right now. To be continued,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 12-07-2001, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     
Venum S- you are correct that a .65 lift cam is about the most you would want to run on the street w/natural asperation. As for the valve clearance problem my early iron stock headed motor needed the pistons notched with a .65 lift cam. My blue thunder
headed engine had to have the pistons notched a bit to, and thats with 9 to one pistons. It really depends on the head you are using though, about the clearance issue. LOL.
cobrashock
Old 12-07-2001, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 460 big block, 850 Demon, 5 speed tremec TKO, Titanium Silver w/ Charcoal stripes
Not Ranked     

FFR #3169 will have a 1986 460ci doner motor out of a F250. Plan on aluminum intake and heads flat-top forged pistions and a 5-speed tremec to a 8.8 or 9" rear.
FFR#3169 BBF460ci, Carb, Tremec TKO, Titanium
Old 12-07-2001, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 429/460

I have a 460 in my SPF. I've driven 22,000 miles and the engine is like new.

Stan
Old 12-07-2001, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a question for the club, I have a 460 in my garage, and am thinking of putting a stroker kit in it, and some nice internals. I have dealt with crate in the past, but I have seen 460's with some seriously high power ratings. My engine works great all arround but I want a Monster. How much More does the 514 crate way in comparrison to the 460?
Old 12-07-2001, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tyler, do you mean "weigh", like in how much more weight is the 514 versus the 460?

Don't have the exact numbers, but I assume it's relatively small, say 1-2 pounds maybe.

The horsepower increases are such that the small weight gain is insignificant.

Venom_S
Old 12-07-2001, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobrahoch

I checked with Ford. The big nasty cam in the crate 514 won't work in the 460 / 535 hp motor. The 514 uses dished pistons (9.8:1 cpmpression) versus the flat top pistons (10.5:1 compression) in the 460.

Whew, glad I asked, or I would be in a world of hurt!!

Venom_S
Old 12-07-2001, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Project "X" underway....twin turbo V6, AWD...
Not Ranked     

I could be wrong...(usually am..), but I believe all the 460 crate motors with the Cobra Jet aluminum heads used dished pistons, as these heads have small chambers. Also, I believe the 514 uses a mechanical roller cam, vs. non-roller hydraulic in the 460's.
Dave
Old 12-07-2001, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The 514 does in fact use a mechanical roller cam. But the 460 has 10.5:1 compression and the 514 has 9.8:1. Both use the same heads. Hmmm.come to think about it, the lower CR is probably due to the larger piston. THAT'S IT!!!

Venom_S
Old 12-07-2001, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

building a 460 a this time for my son to match up to a toploader l/s with orig shifter, going to get it close to the 427R with pipes out back...................don't just love the whump, whump, whump of a bb idleing into the parking lot.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     
Default Comment - gear drive on a 460

I read something in a book( I think it was in "Power Secrets by Smokey Yunick") about chain vs. gear drives. He said he would never use anything but a gear drive. THis was after he fabricated a clear timing chain cover and watched the violent motions made by the chain whipping back and forth, each countermotion vibrating the cam back and forth as it was turning.

Must not be a real problem since almost all engines use this, but an improvement is an improvement just the same.

If you have ever seen a loose fan belt vibrating, that image is what comes to mind.

I suppose belt driven timing gears with a tensioner would not have this problem, but they are more expensive than gear drives.

I'm going with a gear drive soon.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Arrow Ford Racing 520 Short Block

I've built a 514 (actually 520 @ 0.030" overbore) from the Ford Racing short block with CJ aluminum heads. Crane hydraulic roller lifters and cam, double roller steel billet cam drive, roller rockers, etc. Performer intake (RPM is too tall ), Aeromotive fuel pump and filters. Richmond Gear Street 5-speed.

Haven't fired it yet, but hope to by the end of the year.

Expect awesome power and torque. And exhaust note

Last edited by cwmcobra; 12-08-2001 at 08:37 AM..
Old 12-07-2001, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 429/460

Presently building a 429/460 with Edlebrock Aluminum performer heads. Going to go in a Shell Valley. Haven't decided on cam or fuel delivery yet.
Nick C.
Old 12-08-2001, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile 460

Having one built from a 1971 Lincoln town car.........will use a Tremek 5 speed & will put in a Superformance. Got a god C6 sitting in the garage anyone interested?
Happy Holidays
Old 12-08-2001, 05:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     
Talking

535 cubic inch, 429scj based stroker w/ ported and polished Police Interceptor heads. 11.5 to one w/ Holley 750 refitted w/ LeMans float bowls. 4 speed w/3.56 gears on a Detroit Locker.

Last edited by 427sharpe; 12-09-2001 at 06:55 PM..
Old 12-14-2001, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool 429-460

I've got a 429 that is getting real close to being ready to be fired up, CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 12-16-2001, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up My *POISSON* girl

I have a custom turnkey West Coast cobra being built right now. As I post this, my 514 CI EFI Ford bracket race motor (600 plus horsepower) is being installed in the spaceframe, with cobra valve covers, oval air cleaner, also MSD ignition and coil. . chrome hi output alternator, high polished timing cover, water pump, aluminum intake.. NEW 6 speed Richmond Over Drive tranny, 3:00 9 inch Ford style Street Pro differential from Strange Engineering, has 31 spline street pro axles too!!... Carrerra chrome coil over shocks all around, (was going to be Koni but was changed) and every other cool bit of running gear I could find !
ALL new: Leather interior, hardtop, softtop, 4 wheel coil over suspension, custom stereo with CD changer in the trunk, , grilles, louvers, custom clearcoated dark burgundy cherry pearlytic paint with ghosted platinum racing stripes, all black leather interior, wool carpets, Momo Fighterlegno steering wheel, mouth grilles done in black anodized aluminum, SS brake and hydraulic lines and radiator hoses, entire frame and underside sprayed in emeron paint for corrosion resistance, 5 point harness, tilt all metal steering column, heavy duty radiator, cruise control, pulse windshield wipers, chrome hood and trunk sliders, Hopefully the Torque Thrust 2 mags will be available in the 17 inch by 10 inch size to fit my Michelin Z rated (186 mph plus) low profile tires, or I'll have to choose an alternate mag. Remote paging alarm, black soft top and matching painted hardtop. And more I am sure I forgot to list!!
ALL West Coast cars come with 4 wheel heavy duty power ABS brakes, and power assist steering . My brakes are crossdrilled and vented, and have carbon fiber pads.
See West Coast cars at: www.cobrakit.com

Last edited by Back in Black; 01-28-2002 at 06:50 PM..
Old 12-18-2001, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have an all aluminum 460 with Cobra Jet heads, Torker II intake, Holley 850 dbl pumper, and a partridge in a pear tree. I plan to get the car on a chassis dyno the first week in Jan. I know it feels strong but want to know what it really has and find out what I can do to make it stronger.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I am running a freshly rebuilt 1969 429 w/ 500hp turning a 1971 C-6.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: