Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, BBF
Not Ranked     
Default 545 ci

Just getting ready to install new 545 ci in a Mark 111. Just finished dyno so it should be installed next week. Motor made 717hp and 678 ft/lb torque @ 4200.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison #1320, 514 BBF, Richmond, 3.73 , IRS
Send a message via AIM to Trubble Send a message via MSN to Trubble Send a message via Yahoo to Trubble
Not Ranked     
Default My E-M Cobra

Picked up my E-M 460 from Florida. Found on CobraCountry site.
.030 over, Kaase aluminum heads, Holley 4150, Richmond and 3.73 rear end.
Just got a few miles in with her, then winter set in with a vengeance!

Concerned about low oil temps, and considering pulling the oil cooler.
I've been following threads here, and am concerned about oil that's not hot. Other than that, don't think I want to change anything about her.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Street Beasts Cobra 427 S/C, 502 cid
Not Ranked     

502 cid (460 with 4.39" bore and 4.15" stroke), 9.5:1 compression, 225/235 hydraulic flat tappet camshaft with .536"/.541" lift, stainless steel roller rockers with 1.73:1 ratio, Edelbrock Performer RPM cylinder heads (75cc/292cc, intake valves 2.19", exhaust valves 1.76"), Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap dual plane intake manifold, Holley 750 cfm vacuum secondary carburetor. 515 HP, 585 ft-lb.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvonbehren View Post
Just getting ready to install new 545 ci in a Mark 111. Just finished dyno so it should be installed next week. Motor made 717hp and 678 ft/lb torque @ 4200.
Have you gotten it completed yet? Congrats on going with the big block..... my next engine project will be a 385 series stroker. I think your power level is just about perfect for a crazy street car. Call the driveshaft shop in NC and go ahead and upgrade to their level 5 halfshafts and stick some Nitto 325/50/15’s on the rear. I’m running a 427 Windsor with the Nitto 325/50/15 drag radials and a 4.30 rear gear with a T56 6 speed and it is an excellent street car in my opinion. I read about 385 builds all the time and my plan is 750hp/700tq..... I want to be able to pull it to 6000-6500 and run a hydraulic roller....figure that’s doable with some Kasse P51 or the new AFR heads and the right cam. Wicking up my Windsor with CHI heads and going the clevor route would be pretty awesome but it would never make the torque and would be much higher strung. Welcome to the madness!
Old 03-28-2018, 03:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Default Awesome engine

That's a pretty awesome build and ought to give you miles of smiles. Have fun.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

My "new" 13 year old cobra is running a 460. Bought it out of NY. Guy I bought it from knew nothing about the internals of the engine. I pulled the valve covers and its clean and has roller rockers but I haven't tried to dig into it any further.

Car is 13 with 3200 miles on it. Hopefully I won't be taking it apart any time soon.

Will know better after a few runs in the hill country with the Texas Cobra Club at our annual event.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:35 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello everyone,
* I'm rebuilding a 429-460 / DOVE-A, year 71 I've been 2 weeks with it and I hope I can have a great engine in my garage, its state was never opened and everything was standard. suggestions from the experts to do with?
Is it 2 screws?
Thank you, and forgive my English, I live in Spain and I use the Google translator. sorry
Old 09-11-2018, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudio 289A View Post
Hello everyone,
* I'm rebuilding a 429-460 / DOVE-A, year 71 I've been 2 weeks with it and I hope I can have a great engine in my garage, its state was never opened and everything was standard. suggestions from the experts to do with?
Is it 2 screws?
Thank you, and forgive my English, I live in Spain and I use the Google translator. sorry
That will be 2-bolt main caps. The typical wisdom is 2-bolt mains are good up to about 800 HP, so unless your plans are to go beyond that you don't need to add a girdle or go to 4-bolt main caps.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Send a message via AIM to blurider
Not Ranked     

I've had a 460 for about four years, sounds great, runs great. Had a single plane manifold to start and it was terrible in traffic and low RPM. Went to a dual plane performer and the ET's are the same but is much nicer in traffic and at low R's.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm trying to track down Blair Patrick of Blair Patrick Racing Enterprises - South Pittsburg, Tennessee as a possible source of a 427 BB engine. There is plenty about him and his engines on the net but as far as trying to contact him its like chasing a shadow

Does anyone here know of him and have contact informatioin. Please PM me if you do !

Best Regs from Oz
Old 04-12-2020, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In fact while I am on this forum. Let me ask...!?!?

I am based in Melbourne, Australia and planning to purchase a Cobra 427 S/C reproduction chassis hopefully by the end of this year.

The big problem in Oz is twofold. Getting a good one (there is allot of real kit car quality crap down under!) and getting one that is as authentic as possible in its looks, sound and feel is not easy.

There are many great brands out there vying for my money such as Superformance, Backdraft, EBA, Factory Five, DAX and even some good local Oz brands such as Robnell and Absolute Pace. The Pace 427 which has a truly inspiring chassis, is a sight to behold however, like the Kirkham just not what I am looking for!?

I want to have a car with the look and feel of an original 427 S/C as much as possible yet not necessarily paying $AUD 250,000 for the privilege (ie continuation cars)

We have an agent here in Melbourne for Superformance who are the only licensed manufacturer outside of Shelby themselves who seem to have a good authentic body with accurate dimensions and a good solid chassis under it using typically a selection of Rousch engines.
However Rousch do not offer a 427 BB, only SB bored/Stroked to 427. Sure these are great options and I may yet end up using one of these if I can’t get what I am looking for.

However in keeping with my desire to have the right look, feel and driving experience I really want to get an iron 427 BB which would be a good alternative to the original BB 427 FE Sided Oiler the S/C's used and run the traditional 4 speed Top loader with it in keeping with the original car.
Sure if I could get BB 427 FE Sided Oiler all the better (no not the Shelby all Aluminium 427. An all alloy motor just doesn’t sit well with me. Plus horribly expensive!).

Now I’m not interested in some 700 to 800 HP fire breathing widow maker. The typical 500 to 600 I see from most 427’s is far more than enough power in one of these (say 550 to 600 would be great).

Are you guys able to suggest any options ?
Old 04-13-2020, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAddict View Post
In fact while I am on this forum. Let me ask...!?!?

I am based in Melbourne, Australia and planning to purchase a Cobra 427 S/C reproduction chassis hopefully by the end of this year.

The big problem in Oz is twofold. Getting a good one (there is allot of real kit car quality crap down under!) and getting one that is as authentic as possible in its looks, sound and feel is not easy.

There are many great brands out there vying for my money such as Superformance, Backdraft, EBA, Factory Five, DAX and even some good local Oz brands such as Robnell and Absolute Pace. The Pace 427 which has a truly inspiring chassis, is a sight to behold however, like the Kirkham just not what I am looking for!?

I want to have a car with the look and feel of an original 427 S/C as much as possible yet not necessarily paying $AUD 250,000 for the privilege (ie continuation cars)

We have an agent here in Melbourne for Superformance who are the only licensed manufacturer outside of Shelby themselves who seem to have a good authentic body with accurate dimensions and a good solid chassis under it using typically a selection of Rousch engines.
However Rousch do not offer a 427 BB, only SB bored/Stroked to 427. Sure these are great options and I may yet end up using one of these if I can’t get what I am looking for.

However in keeping with my desire to have the right look, feel and driving experience I really want to get an iron 427 BB which would be a good alternative to the original BB 427 FE Sided Oiler the S/C's used and run the traditional 4 speed Top loader with it in keeping with the original car.
Sure if I could get BB 427 FE Sided Oiler all the better (no not the Shelby all Aluminium 427. An all alloy motor just doesn’t sit well with me. Plus horribly expensive!).

Now I’m not interested in some 700 to 800 HP fire breathing widow maker. The typical 500 to 600 I see from most 427’s is far more than enough power in one of these (say 550 to 600 would be great).

Are you guys able to suggest any options ?
There are plenty of Superformance cars with FE engines, and a fellow I know just a short distance from me has one with a side-oiler block and toploader 4 speed. Just because your local dealer doesn't typically do them doesn't mean it can't be done.

You might want to post this in the Superformance group on CC - I'm sure that will elicit more specific responses as to exactly what you need in terms of engine sources, motor mounts, headers, etc. Superformance - Club Cobra
Old 05-11-2020, 04:30 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Naf 429
Not Ranked     
Default 429 from a 71 torino cobra

429 .060 over it runns great but having to get brakes working to drive
Speedwaypj likes this.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:22 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     
Default 460

385 series 460 still being built
Old 07-27-2020, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM III 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean View Post
Please let us know if you are running a 429/460/514 or above in the "385" engine family.
I am a new owner of a GenIII EM Cobra 460 (which is a rough driven driver, lol).

Oh, and I also track a 1973 Sheridan widebody Porsche 914 sbc
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2020, 02:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Half,

Congratulations!

Is the suspension on that car from a Corvette? From the minimal lip showing on the wheels, that would be my guess.

Tom
Old 10-23-2020, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C (near future)-460
Not Ranked     

429 w/9K bought in '71 fired up in 2016.... 429..strocked, (crank) to 460, roller rockers. 750 cfm Holley.\, Dist, Comp Cam, T-10, posi. ...it sounds great.....another 6 months before I get to finish it.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C (near future)-460
Not Ranked     

I had 429, I'm sorry I didn't keep it as 429,m I strocked it to 460, but I wished I kept it at 429...Just same price for a crank and pistons/rods....to go to 460...more torque but I bet the 429 sounds better...….
Old 10-25-2020, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 427 FE 4spd
Not Ranked     

Running a 460 with Crane MutherThumper cam backed by a C6 and 350 posi. Tremendous performer and a treat to hear.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427 SC with 429 Cobra Jet motor, toploader 4 speed
Not Ranked     
Default NAF replica

NAF 427 replica that I've owned since I built it in 1986. 429 CJ with a Toploader. Lunati Voodoo cam, Offy intake, 780 Holley, Accel / MSD ignition, Flowkooler water pump, Cloyes double roller timing chain. 9" Ford 4 link rear with 3.50 Detroit Locker.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: